Sign in to follow this  
Guest 727Fan

I Want To Do Military Traffic & AFCAD. Any Advice?

Guest 727Fan

Looking for nice AI Military types. Also are there any problems with adding military AI to Air Bases? I know I'll have to add parking at the air bases. I can do that, or drop in one done my somebody else.But is there anything regarding the sim recognizing the air base, or AI flights to it?I have many of the Aardvark, Urakawa, PAI, and Waldron-TomkiewiczAI models. I know there's got to be more.Are there any other nice ones out there? I tried using the AVSIM search tool, but haven't found much I can use. I see there's an AI F-15 by Kimitaka Nishida. But I'm unsure if it's AI or not, and I can't find the model anyway.Any advice locating models, or regarding tricks doing the AFCAD2 work would be welcomed!!Thanks!!Rick (MKE)

Guest Jumbles

As far as I know, you can use any models for AI craft. I currently have a fleet of DSB Design Hawks (now freeware) flying around North Wales.I think the only difference between AI and non AI craft is a reduced poly count to keep frame rates high.As for using military bases, as long as the base is listed in the Airportsxxxx.txt file (I'm assuming use of TTools here) it should be used. I don't understand how parking works in FS... Whenever I land my Hawk at RAF Valley, it always directs me to park in a GA space. I've looked at the base with AFCAD2 but I don't want to change anything without knowing exactly what I'm doing.Jumblesps don't take my word for anything... These are just observations I have made since I started adding AI planes.

Guest OrbitalMike

Rick,I started at http://www.graham-king.me.uk/ and followed the links and downloaded his textures.I now have good military traffic all over the US and parts of Europe.Good Luck

Hi Rick,I'm not really good about knowing the super stuff so I usually use the "K.I.S.S." (Keep It Simple Stupid) Principle. So I default to PAI when I need AI.This May not be exactly what you want But It will give you a good start. You'll be able to get aircraft packages and AFCADS.http://www.projectai.com/packages/military.phpHope this helpsBest regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

Guest 727Fan

Mike, thanks for the nice link over to Graham King's site.However, I just realized that I need to add military bases to theairport text file that TTools exposes. This I don't know how to do.I was trying to populate Luke AFB in metro Phoenix, and Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. I added parking via AFCAD. I added flight plans with TTools. I added AI with TTools. Basically approached the whole project like I have been doing. So after realizing the aircraft text file needed to addressed, I opened it. Well now. Here's data I have no clue about, much less where to obtain an entry to activate Nellis and Luke.Anybody know the procedure and resource????Thanks!!Rick (MKE) Some light snow and freezing rain. ILS runway 1L in use tonight.

1. On the Project AI web site in the Library under the Utilities section is a file - Master Airports for FS2002-2004.zip by Superfish which has all the airports in FS2002 and FS2004.Some airports in FS2002 disappeared but are still in flight plans, some airports changed designators and are in flight plans both ways - just wait until FSX comes out and the designator changes hit :-( WRRR "officially" disappeared about year ago - now WADD though the change over period will be a while - many airports in Indonesia have changed.2. Traffic Tools includes a great utility - CollectAirports.exe - this will scan all your scenery and AFCAD files and create an airports.txt file from them.3. Finally - check the military AI forums at www.fsgateway.com - they used to be on the PAI forums but moved in some restructuring. Those guys have been doing great work over the past 2 and a half years.

some of those PAI packages get a big thumbs down from me. errors in the flight plans causing FS to crash and also bad performance. Still no reply to my post in the bugs forum.

some of those PAI packages get a big thumbs down from me. errors in the flight plans causing FS to crash and also bad performance. Still no reply to my post in the bugs forum. Hi, Alex,Question...Are you saying that you would not recommend any of the PAI military packages, or just be careful with what you get? And does your statement include the Airline packages as well? The reason I ask is because I would also like to include military in my experience and so far I haven't research the project enough to start down that path.your statement pertaining to crashes and bad performance has me curious as to the performance I may be experiencing on my low end machine since most of if not all of my AI has come from PAI. I would hope that there are a few packages that you might recommend on the Marine Squadrons that won't bring me to tears.Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

I dont know how familiar you are with AI, but I have learned to add them myself by downloading the latest flight plans from certain authors. I have not looked at any PAI packages except the military, and what I have found is a few C5 plans have some bad errors in them that can cause crashes. For example, one flight plan has an airplane landing at 25:00 !!! I used ttools companion to evaluate the plans and there were multiple errors found and a few, such as the invalid hour, causing a complete crash. I have noticed much better performance in FS after taking out the military traffic.

Thanks! I've learned alot lately about flight plans lately. The biggest lesson I learned is that I need to learn alot more:-) But I understand your answer and appreciate your time in answering my question. Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

Guest 727Fan

OK Nick. I would just as soon do all of my own AI plans. And AFCAD I'll do myself or use someone else's.So you say if I run the collect airport tool within TTools, and I have an AFCAD file where parking is now available, the tool will automatically add the airport data to the text file?Could it be that simple?ThanksRick

Al,See my reply to your post on the PAI Forum. Not being a staff member of PAI, I normally don't respond to that type of post.A couple questions, you mention C-5 plans. PAI does not have a C-5 and has not released a C-5 package.The flightplans in the PAI library are exactly like the flight plans in the library here and on other websites - supported by the individual authors, not the library site.You mentioned crashing FS - which flight plans ? You did not mention that on the PAI site.You did mention TTools Companion crashing. The is most likely because it is not an appropriate program to evaluate military flight plans. Being an FS2002 program - it sees TNG as an invalid parameter. There are also some modifications to text files which support TTools Companion necessary to make the flight plan evaluation work. I have no trouble with TTools Companion evaluating PAI Military package flight plans - after adding the military aircraft and callsigns and removing the flight plans with TNG.