Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Al

Orbx Hardware Product Requirements

Since FTX Orbx is having a May sale, can some of you tech savvy folks tell me if I add FTX Global Base + FTX Global Vector + FTX  Open LC, will that be OK for my system.

I run primarily aircraft add on's for PMDG 747 and 777 with FSX-SE, along with Active Sky 2016. My graphics card is not the latest greatest, below is my system:

i7 6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHZ

32.0 GB RAM

Windows 10 OS 64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750TI

I added the ASC 2016 recently and it is really slick, great add on that I am enjoying. I also want to start flying something lower level, like the SD3 I used to fly and maybe some other type of fun airplane and enjoy scenery a little more, will these add on's add to the experience. I know some of you have really souped up systems. Mine is primarily used as a 6 monitor system for trading options on equities and indexes and flight simulator flying.

I've used Orbx with the GTX750Ti..., it is a very capable card.  Granted a new card is better but I recommend you go for it.  I would be very upset if I had to part with my FTX products, and the sale is great time to do it.  I just added their Norway region and ESSA airport. Wow. Stunning.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you Dan , appreciate it. Yes, this is the time to do it with the sale...

Thank you Mike, you are close to what I have with a much better video card, appreciate the feedback...

Al,

Performancewise, you should have no issue. But you'll have to start monitoring your VAS and adjust settings accordingly. In particular, you'll likely have to uncheck a number of options in FTX Global Vector, as some of those are known to take a heavy toll on VAS. Otherwise yes, it's a joy to fly around with these ORBX products.

Walter Meier

46 minutes ago, wsmeier said:

Al,

Performancewise, you should have no issue. But you'll have to start monitoring your VAS and adjust settings accordingly. In particular, you'll likely have to uncheck a number of options in FTX Global Vector, as some of those are known to take a heavy toll on VAS. Otherwise yes, it's a joy to fly around with these ORBX products.

Thanks Walter, newbie question, what is VAS and how do I monitor it?

• Upvote 1

I'll leave this here, but...

This is a forum for the discussion of our products. Try to keep it in scope in the future.

Kyle Rodgers

14 hours ago, Captain_Al said:

Thanks Walter, newbie question, what is VAS and how do I monitor it?

VAS is virtual address space, the lack of which leads to out-of-memory crashes. There is a good description of it and how to monitor it in the various PMDG intro manuals. Otherwise, there are numerous good discussions about it throughout the AVSIM forums as VAS is the big scourge of 32-bit sims and we're always trying to find ways of avoiding that dreaded OOM error.

• Upvote 1

Walter Meier

13 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'll leave this here, but...

This is a forum for the discussion of our products. Try to keep it in scope in the future.

Oh yes, good point, I am so used to coming to this forum, I forgot you have to stay on topic, will do....

9 hours ago, Captain_Al said:

Oh yes, good point, I am so used to coming to this forum, I forgot you have to stay on topic, will do....

All good. I'd assumed that you were using our stuff in tandem, so it was one of those fringe topics that seemed to walk the line.

Kyle Rodgers