I've been looking for a 4k TV lately and inevitably came across curved TVs too. One pro that was being mentioned constantly is the alleged higher immersion. You're said to feel more like you're actually inside of what you're seeing on the screen which undoubtedly is a huge pursuit when simming. 

Anyone out there who has used a curved screen with a sim and can confirm this?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

One pro that was being mentioned constantly is the alleged higher immersion. You're said to feel more like you're actually inside of what you're seeing on the screen which undoubtedly is a huge pursuit when simming.

The trick is to compare the field of view of the curved monitor and the equivalent flat one for the expected viewing distance. A typical 34" curved monitor will have a curve of radius 3.8m and is about 80cm wide. This means it only transcends about 12 degrees of arc. If you draw a scale diagram and compare the FOV of a 12-degree arc and the equivalent flat monitor at a viewing distance of 50cm you will discover that the difference is so small as to be hard to even measure. You would need to sit much closer for there to be any discernible difference.

(P.S. No, I don't have one.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Hi,

Without regard to anything else, I find my three 22" curved screen setup for the outside view does provide a more realistic experience.  I've used a digital TrippleHead2Go and also P3D view groups and find the immersion higher than three 22" flat screens.  For me, he outer curve on each side provides a sense of motion lacking with flat screens.  This is a hardware-based flight deck setup, so the MIP, etc, do not come into play.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I'm moving away from curved ones. Doesn't seem to be the real deal.

Which leaves me with an awful lot of flat 4k TVs out of which every version seems to be the perfect one. As soon as you think you're actually considering buying a certain TV another version pops up and I'm wondering where the difference is...

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 02/05/2017 at 2:37 AM, Canuck said:

Anyone out there who has used a curved screen with a sim and can confirm this?

I have a 65" curved and there is definitely a greater 3D effect (immersion?) compared to a flat screen.
Viewing distance is a factor. I sit about one meter away.
Move further away and the effect reduces but does not disappear completely.
Also the bigger the screen the bigger the curve and thus the effect of course.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

65" Samsung, sit close, immersion is great. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I've had LG Electronics 55EG9600 Curved OLED TV for 1/2 a year now. https://www.bestadvisor.com/curved-tvs
Great picture. I am not seeing any issues with horizontal banding, it seems that LG has fixed that issue, as no one is talking about it anymore.  One issue - the remote. The problem it has is that it will not keep smartly controlling my time warner cable box. Stays for a day and then - poof! I have to reprogram