Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Excesive tearing on new UW monitor

Hi Folks:

I've recently installed a new video monitor, ultra wide, curved, LG 29UC97C and I'm running it at 2560x1080 resolution (which is its recommended setting) and 60 Hz refresh rate (no other option selectable). I've been suffering from a lot of tearing -horizontal lines- and I've already made the following adjustments:

1. Set both V-Sync ON in game (with P3Dv3.4) and in the NVIDIA Control Panel (NVCP) as well, for both Global Configuration and for Prepar3D.

2. Set Triple Buffering ON in game.

3. Cleaned using DDU all previous video drivers installation, and re-installed latest driver 381.89. Using a GeForce GTX 980.

Is there any specific action that anyone recommend me to do, in addition to those mentioned above?.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The only setting that counts for tearing is v-sync. If you are experiencing it,  it's obviously not taking due to some setting. Make sure in control panel you force it to on just in case. 

8 hours ago, edpatino said:

1. Set both V-Sync ON in game (with P3Dv3.4) and in the NVIDIA Control Panel (NVCP) as well, for both Global Configuration and for Prepar3D.

Should be no need to turn VSync on in the NVCP if you have it on in-game.
Try turning it off in NVCP although it sounds like you might of tried this.

What is your target FPS in P3D and are you getting it?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

10 hours ago, gboz said:

I understand, but I'm having also tearing while browsing, so that's why I've also turned VSync ON as a global setting. Target FPS in P3D is 33 (locked), and I'm getting numbers around 30-33, sometimes lower depending on the compexity of the scenery and aircraft used.

Thanks for your comments, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

15 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

The only setting that counts for tearing is v-sync. If you are experiencing it,  it's obviously not taking due to some setting. Make sure in control panel you force it to on just in case. 

Agree. I've also turned Triple Buffering ON in NVCP Global Settings.

So far, making sure both VSync and Triple Buffering are both ON in Global Settings, the tearing is pretty much lower while browsing, but I'll have to continue testing in P3D, in which, by the way, VSync is also turned ON together with Triple Buffering (both ON).

Thanks for your comments, Ed

Cheers, Ed

21 hours ago, gboz said:

Try turning it off in NVCP although it sounds like you might of tried this.

What is your target FPS in P3D and are you getting it?

gb.

That's not true. It depends on what it is set to. There is an option that basically says "ignore what the application says"...

2 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

That's not true. It depends on what it is set to. There is an option that basically says "ignore what the application says"...

Yes I know that but P3D's Vsync should work without any assistance from NVCP.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

13 hours ago, edpatino said:

Target FPS in P3D is 33 (locked), and I'm getting numbers around 30-33, sometimes lower depending on the compexity of the scenery and aircraft used.

I'd try and confirm the vsync is actually working.
Load a flight (default plane/default location) with settings lowered enough
to give you well over 60 FPS with frames set to unlimited in P3D and vsync off.
Turn on vsync and confirm FPS drop back to 60.

gb.

8 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

But there are more vsync options in the NVIDIA Control Panel and Profile Inspector - standard, adaptive, adaptive 1/2 refresh rate and fast.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

I'll try that and report back here.

Thanks. Ed

Cheers, Ed

11 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

It seems VSync is actually working. Did exactly what you suggested and after lowering down several P3D settings I've got 130-140 FPS. Then I turned VSync ON (together with Triple Buffering) with the lowered settings, and the FPS went down well around 60 FPS.

Any additional suggestions, please?.

Thanks in advance, Ed

Cheers, Ed

19 hours ago, gboz said:

gb.

No, again, the setting can be set to override whatever you enter in your application, and just as you can select "force on" (regardless of the app setting), you can also select force off (again regardless of what's in the app...)

4 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

No, again, the setting can be set to override whatever you enter in your application, and just as you can select "force on" (regardless of the app setting), you can also select force off (again regardless of what's in the app...)

You seem to be missing my point.
I am not saying these NVCP options do not exist.
I'm saying usually P3D will sync to the monitor refresh rate with it's own in-game Vsync option just fine.
NVCP Vsync options are just not required in this case.
If P3D internal Vsync is not working that is another matter.

gb.

11 minutes ago, gboz said:

You seem to be missing my point.
I am not saying these NVCP options do not exist.
I'm saying usually P3D will sync to the monitor refresh rate with it's own in-game Vsync option just fine.
NVCP Vsync options are just not required in this case.
If P3D internal Vsync is not working that is another matter.

gb.

We're talking about same and different things... :P

yes, it should work fine, *but* if NVCP is set to ignore your application, it will not "work fine"... that is why I suggested he check this. 

Or tu put it another way: the option os not "required", but if it has been previosuly set to always off then yes, you will need to change it...

On 03/05/2017 at 2:07 AM, edpatino said:

I understand, but I'm having also tearing while browsing, so that's why I've also turned VSync ON as a global setting.

What do you mean tearing while browsing?

That does not sound like game motion tearing.

gb.