Sign in to follow this  
downscc

OneDrive\Documents

Vortex, In your case, it was not a problem and you have a good experience. But, there are others who find that OneDrive is deeply embedded in their Win10  document control system and worse still, it is a "cloud" service, where often very private documents are no longer in the confines of your personal computer on your premises....Sure, we are told the documents are safe...yeah, well, I don't need to go further on this line of thought.

If this was not bad enough, then, because OneDrive is part of Win10, MS made it so you can't remove it(apparently) and MS also chose not to provide a simple way to quarantine the program feature, other than manual changes in the computer Registry. From reading several forums, getting OneDrive under control seems to be handled different if you have the Home or the Pro version of Win10. I am not a Registry meddler, as it can be a very dangerous place. But, in this instance, it was unavoidable. In my case, I also went into OneDrive are removed all the permissions from it. 

Geoff Bryce

13 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But in my case nothing was forced on me. I had been using Windows 10 for over a year before I opted to start using OneDrive.

I wouldn't be unhappy were that the case.  I never opted to use OneDrive, then one morning after about a year of Win10 use it started redirecting all my documents and P3D didn't see them and wouldn't load my default flight or allow the selection of any saved flight.  All documents were gone to another path... and Windows didn't update the path for the applications to be using.  This annoyed the heck out of me.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

I wouldn't be unhappy were that the case.  I never opted to use OneDrive, then one morning after about a year of Win10 use it started redirecting all my documents and P3D didn't see them and wouldn't load my default flight or allow the selection of any saved flight.  All documents were gone to another path... and Windows didn't update the path for the applications to be using.  This annoyed the heck out of me.

yeah Dan, me too. I could not work out what happened. One day my files were where they were supposed to be, then one day, they were not..I was hunting for all the wrong reasons until i noticed OneDrive in the path..Anyway, Fixed.

Geoff Bryce

Out of interest, those of you having problems with OneDrive in Windows 10, do you log in using a Microsoft account or local details?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 hours ago, vortex681 said:

do you log in using a Microsoft account or local details?

Never, the only time I ever used a Microsoft account was when I had to create one to install windows.  I'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Out of interest, those of you having problems with OneDrive in Windows 10, do you log in using a Microsoft account or local details?

3 hours ago, downscc said:

Never, the only time I ever used a Microsoft account was when I had to create one to install windows.  I'd prefer not to have a Microsoft account.

+1.. I hate the way the computer tracks my google searches ...some times, a week later, I see ads pop up...that just happen to reference my recent searches.

Geoff Bryce

I thought that it may have been related to using a Microsoft account to log in (I don't use one either), but that would not appear to be the case.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Don't forget that, for the most part, most computer users know how to turn on their computers, send emails, and use the internet. That's it. They don't want to know anything more. So all the automatic stuff Windows does is really meant for them. The only time One Drive has been a problem for me has been with versions like the W10 ISO you download from Microsoft. Even then all I had to do was not use it. Problems with software re-orienting itself to One Drive would seem to me to be more unforeseen problems with the software rather than the OS. The fact that you can fix it at all speaks volumes. Can you imagine this on a Mac?

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.