Sign in to follow this  
555_HH

Las Vegas and Runways 7R and 7L

Is there an AFCAD for KLAS that does not allow landing on 7R and 7L? I noticed that with calm winds ATC provides vectors to 7R or 7L and I don't have IAPs for these! In fact I checked with AOPA and there are no published approaches to 7R or 7L. If I choose 25R for example ATC says cleared to 25R sidestep 7R. And then when I am on approach to 25R, ATC wants me to enter a pattern to 7R!!! Thanks for any guidance!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Just as with the San Francisco Runways 01L and 01R there are no published Instrument approaches for these runways and they can only be used with a side-step or circle to land landing in instrument conditions.But they are not closed for landing. So what ATC is asking you is reasonable.

Guest Kingair315

You could make your own version of the AFCAD, using AFCAD2, and close these runways. It' something most anyone can learn to do, with just a bit of reading, and then you have exactly what you want. Learning to use AFCAD is simpler than many other utilities, and then you can have your own setup at any field that you use. Many times I pull up an airfield that Ive never been to, to add parking areas to it before flying there. Sometimes if I find cross runways I close them to landing, allowing takeoff's, which reduces the traffic on the runway I wish to use. May also close the runway for landing to takeoffs, which reduces the chance of go arounds. When runways cross at the opposite end of runway Ill be using for landings, it makes traffic flow better. Planes landing are down and exiting before reaching the crossing crossing runway. Planes taking off, are well into the air before reaching the runway and so there is no interferance anywhere.

hi there,7R and 7R are both rwys for visual approches...you can fly the respectives STAR's (i.e. FUZZY SIX) and then go (expect)visual.cheers,harald