Hello Steve, hello guys.

As stated above, I'm a newbie regarding DX10. I purchased both packages (Fixer and Cloud) ~3 weeks ago and I'm struggling to get the best out of it. To better understand what's going on, I installed only DX10 fixer at this time and took Steves HD profile. Left anything else untouched. I choose to not convert any of the effects.

1. I also use PrecipitFX: Acc. to Oldprop manual, precipitFX no longer requires effects conversion (it has DX10 compatibility "out of the box".

Issue: I don't see most of the effects like: Engine Jet wash, Wheel spray,... Switching back to DX9 all effects are back.

Q: Fixer or PrecipitFX issue?

2. GSX de-icers: You might know them right :)? In DX10 the de-icers have a "solid beam" and nowathen you see the "cloud" popping up and dissapering. In DX9 you see a nice "cloud" effect engulfing the wings.

Q: Does this mean I have to convert the effects? Can I chose what to convert and what not?

Any help and guidance is higly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gerald

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Why don't you just backup your entire effects folder for safe keeping and then convert the effects and see what happens. If things don't work out just restore the backup. Easy way to test.

Hello ualani. There is no need to backup them since DX10Fixer can convert them all back an forth.

Also there is no need to test them since I already stated that they are working fine in DX9 and not showing up in DX10 (converted or unconverted).

Gerald K. - Germany

The DX10 effects system is badly broken and you have to trick it into displaying effects.  

The best option to get things to work is to convert Lights Only and install the replacement nav lights - otherwise other effects may only partially work or work from some angles only.

On 1) I would ask Oldprop as they have clearly tested in DX10 - simply uninstall the fixer libraries and you remove the fixer from the equation.

Steve, thanks for your feedback.

I will fly a bit and if I'm sure I'm missing some PrecipitFX effects I will adress the Q in the appropiate forum.

For the GSX de-icer thinghy: Is it by any chance you own the product and can test it at your end to confirm the missing effects? If not, can we leave this open so that users can report if they see anything?

Regards,

Gerald

***Edited post***

I just looked at GSX manual and they also state that GSX fully supports DX10. It seems now that my setup won't need any FX particle conversion at all.

Might this be then that "issue" with not seeing some FX under certain angles? If yes, is there a possibility to fine tune the system (e.g. turn of shadows or something) to have the FX showing?

Thanks.

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Just comming from FSDT GSX Forum and the dev stated the effects work well also in P3D DX11 and therefore would also be compatible with DX10 (but FSX is buggy, which is correct).

I will try different options but as stated at the beginning, this is new terrain on my end.

I have no clue how the fixer works and what files are changed. The point is I don't want to convert some visuals that already have DX10 compatibility and might lead to bad performance...

Gerald K. - Germany

Good day Steve,

I think I've found the culprit: If I take your dx 10 profile without HD shadows, then switch to the outside view and move my camera around the ACFT, I see strange shadows on the ACFT fusselage that moves with the camera. JOKE -> It almost looks like Godzilla handling the camera and it casts a shadow on the ACFT *joke end*.

No realy, it looks like a big building or an object moving with the camera and casting a shadow on the ACFT. The problem is that the shadowed area no longer displays any visual effects. Also in flight the contrails dissapear if you move your camera to a position that shadows the ACFT.

If I enable HD shadows, this odd behaviour dissapears completely: no more strange shadows on the ACFT and all visual effects are visible.

Gerald K. - Germany

It works when you have HD shadows enabled?  That is curious indeed.   Can you uninstall the libraries and tell me what happens without the fixer?   Install them after the test.

Steve, sorry for my late reply. I think I somehow screwed my installation up...i'll still try to answer but take my answer with a grain of salt... .

1. Strange shadows on the outside fusselage of ACFT: this shadows only apear with libraries installed, your standard profile (from DX10 control  panel) whithout HD shadows enabled. Your same profile with HD shadows enabled is perfect!

2. Effects: Here comes the part where I think I messed things up! I somethimes see the effects perfectly, somethimes only glimps of them (effect puffs) and somethimes nothing. I can't tell what causes this by I think it also had to do with the strange shadows on the ACFT.

Why? Well I have the Aerosoft A320-321 installed. Upon engine start you see a cloud of smoke comming out of them. In an outside view positioned to see the ACFT from the front (ENG2 to the left, ENG1 to the right), without HD shadows enabled, there was a strange shadow over the ENG1 wing. Starting ENG2 I could see smoke puffs (so not the smooth smoke effect comming out of the engine) and on ENG1 nothing. Therefore I thought that the strange shadow actually cuts the effect...(I can't reproduce this)

Generally I have following question / issue / or problem to understand: I don't want the fixer to change effects that are already DX10 capable as I think (and this is me beeing "gaga") that it might decrease the general performance of my sim.

So to speak:

1. I have purchased REX Ess wOD which already has DX10 clouds and wave textures but you can also tick something regarding lights (landing lights, airport lights, strobes,...). If these are DX10 compatible, I don't want those to be "overwritten" by the fixer.

2. I have also purchased PrecipitFX which is also completely DX10 compatible. The package includes and replaces many effects (also the smoke upon AS A320's ENG start). Therefore I would also like that the fixer would not touch those and convert them in any way.

I think you got the point by now :)

Since I clearly have no clue how the fixer works, I have no idea what effects are replaced and in what manner and if this has an impact or none on the performance. The fixers control panel clearly informs you that if you are converting all particle effects, you might have a performance hit (and exactly this is what I think I could avoid in not converting effects that are already DX10 compatible).

Gerald K. - Germany

If it works from some angles then try adding a lightfield to the airport - refer to the manual for instructions on how to do this.