Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Another Network Issue - Could do with your help;-)

I'm trying to restore an older Windows XP Dell Dimension 3000 PC for my nephew...

Windows XP restored fine from recovery partition and all SEEMS ok.

However, when I plug in the Ethernet cable, I cannot get the PC to 'see' the internet.

My other PCs (Win10&7) on the network see it, and vice versa, but it wont go online.

Its been a good number of years since working on an XP machine. I've tried many settings to no avail, including disabling the Windows firewall.  My Router/Hub sees the PC and allocates an IP address, and all 'pings' work both ways.

ANY and ALL help much appreciated as my young nephew is getting very impatient;-)

Hi Phil,

If you can see other machines on your segment - but not the outside world - probably a router issue...

A couple commands that are useful - in the "Command Prompt":

• ipconfig /all    gives you all the IP information on the PC in question...
  • tracert yahoo.com    proves both your router and DNS are good...

The tracert command can be used to go to any destination and shows each hop - you can use either a DNS Name or an IP Address as an argument - yahoo is just an example... Between the two you should be able to tell what's going on... If you compare your "ipconfig" to a working machine on the same segment - most information should be the same on the non working machine with the exception of the unique IP Address... Take specific note of the netmask - DNS server - and - gateway...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Phil,

If you can see other machines on your segment - but not the outside world - probably a router issue...

A couple commands that are useful - in the "Command Prompt":

• ipconfig /all    gives you all the IP information on the PC in question...
  • tracert yahoo.com    proves both your router and DNS are good...

The tracert command can be used to go to any destination and shows each hop - you can use either a DNS Name or an IP Address as an argument - yahoo is just an example... Between the two you should be able to tell what's going on... If you compare your "ipconfig" to a working machine on the same segment - most information should be the same on the non working machine with the exception of the unique IP Address... Take specific note of the netmask - DNS server - and - gateway...

Regards,
Scott

Thanks Scott

Some really, really strange stuff going on here...

It ran both tracert and ipconfig /all PERFECTLY, showing almost same results as another machine.  Yet, all attempts at reaching a website with IE failing. I'm wondering if it could be with XP support gone, and this only being SP2, could IE be blocked in some way?

I'm currently downloading SP3 on a different PC and will install that and see what happens.....

That didn't work either:-(

IE states that's it unable to connect to the internet, with or without firewall on!

Yet CMD will PING www.yahoo.com in 21ms

Its definitely Internet Explorer!

Downloaded Mozilla Firefox from another PC and it works just fine!

Is there a fix for IE on XP?

Hi Phil,

Hah - that was going to be my next suggestion - Firefox - glad it's kind of sorted - can't help you with the IE browser - good luck...

Regards,
Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On 5/2/2017 at 7:05 AM, Dougal said:

Its definitely Internet Explorer!

Downloaded Mozilla Firefox from another PC and it works just fine!

Is there a fix for IE on XP?

Is the system somehow configured for a proxy?

Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections tab>LAN settings

"Proxy Server" should be unchecked.

3 hours ago, lownslo said:

Is the system somehow configured for a proxy?

Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections tab>LAN settings

"Proxy Server" should be unchecked.

no

What version of IE do you have?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

On 2017-5-5 at 8:04 PM, Luke said:

What version of IE do you have?

Cheers!

Luke

Hi Luke

Sorry, it seems I missed this post. I'll check it out later.....

Dougal, earlier versions of IE were really quite poor as web browsers and were responsible for a number of problems. I would really stick with Firefox or Opera even if IE was working well.

Slightly off-topic, I would really avoid Win XP if you're connecting to the Internet as it hasn't had any security updates for some time and would be very vulnerable to many modern threats.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit