Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Faulty Motherboard - Anyone Heard of This?

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

In fairness, if it is a motherboard fault, then its the very first Asus product that's EVER let me down in over 17 years of purchases of all things Asus.  What has really hacked me off, is the attitude of the retailer.  I've been using them for over 20 years.  Like many companies, their customer support was excellent until they started to grow into what they've now become - just yet another huge outlet when customers become nothing more than order numbers. That's a shame:-(

Was this Scan???

Had a surprising Scan incident the other day.  Had ordered some Cablemod cables for my daughters build, only to realise that the cables may not have been compatible with the PSU I bought. Cablemod (awesome guys there, great support) agreed that they probably weren't compatible, so I asked Scan for a return. The first email from them surprised me a bit. They asked me if it was in a sell-able condition, as they put it " not opened". They went on to say if it had been opened they "may" deduct a fee as it's not sell-able. 

Never before has any retailer said that to me. As you know, the law states we are entitled to open products bought on-line to examine them and then return if we wish. I felt from the tone of the email they "may" have been trying to put me off sending it back. So I did a bit of Googling and found lots of reports of issues with Scan when trying to return products or if faulty. Guess what, one of the issues addressed was with bent pins on motherboards, with quite a few users saying they were certain they weren't bent when they sent the board back to them. Even YouTube videos re this.

May have been totally unfair criticism, but it's put me off them. Will stick to Amazon as I have Prime. And on the subject of Prime, in stark contrast to Scan, returns are awesomely efficient. 4 or 5 clicks of the mouse, no threats of fines if you've opened it, and RMA granted, return label printed and if you nip to the post office sharpish, back with Amazon that day. And get this... when I returned an item to Amazon recently the money was back in my account that day!!! Three weeks at Scan to get your dosh back.

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

Martin, which BIOS are you currently using?

For my Z170-Deluxe I have the 3007 BIOS. Haven't needed to update. This guy is working fine.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Was this Scan???

Had a surprising Scan incident the other day.  Had ordered some Cablemod cables for my daughters build, only to realise that the cables may not have been compatible with the PSU I bought. Cablemod (awesome guys there, great support) agreed that they probably weren't compatible, so I asked Scan for a return. The first email from them surprised me a bit. They asked me if it was in a sell-able condition, as they put it " not opened". They went on to say if it had been opened they "may" deduct a fee as it's not sell-able. 

Never before has any retailer said that to me. As you know, the law states we are entitled to open products bought on-line to examine them and then return if we wish. I felt from the tone of the email they "may" have been trying to put me off sending it back. So I did a bit of Googling and found lots of reports of issues with Scan when trying to return products or if faulty. Guess what, one of the issues addressed was with bent pins on motherboards, with quite a few users saying they were certain they weren't bent when they sent the board back to them. Even YouTube videos re this.

May have been totally unfair criticism, but it's put me off them. Will stick to Amazon as I have Prime. And on the subject of Prime, in stark contrast to Scan, returns are awesomely efficient. 4 or 5 clicks of the mouse, no threats of fines if you've opened it, and RMA granted, return label printed and if you nip to the post office sharpish, back with Amazon that day. And get this... when I returned an item to Amazon recently the money was back in my account that day!!! Three weeks at Scan to get your dosh back.

Hi Martin

No its eBuyer. I have used Scan for a couple of PC builds. I found their prices very good. In fact considerably cheaper than most, but service not up to scratch. Sadly, eBuyer have become very much like all the big suppliers....  They 'tick all the right boxes' and have 'all the glossy brochures' etc, but just like many, that's it.  The staff have been on the right training courses, so are suitably patronising.  What I've grown to like about them, is that its possible to order as late as 9pm and still get next day delivery.

I definitely WON'T be using them any more:-(

...and.... Although I refused to supply them with the requested photo's, I DID take some for own use and protection before packing up the board. Using an old PC now and going to severely miss my main PC.  Being pretty much house bound now, its my main pass time.

4 hours ago, Dougal said:

What a strange thing thing to say;-)  When paying the sums of money asked for these boards, surely 'one' would want them to work correctly;-)  How would you deal with it if one of the USB ports didn't work?  Don't worry, there's plenty more? ;-)  Or if the 'Diplay Port' was dead?  Well, thats ok I'll just use the HDMI port.  ;-)

I apologize if I seemed flippant.  If your support on the right side of the pond is as bad as ours on the left then an experience like yours now can be more than a little frustrating.  In some cases I just move on to another vendor and thereby reduce the stress of terrible support (our consumer protection laws have been neutered over the years in favor of corporate profit).  You are obviously choosing to stand your ground (goodonya!).  Good luck in your endeavor to return the motherboard for a working product.

Greg

16 hours ago, Dougal said:

...and.... Although I refused to supply them with the requested photo's, I DID take some for own use and protection before packing up the board. Using an old PC now and going to severely miss my main PC.  Being pretty much house bound now, its my main pass time.

Good move. 

Well, this is interesting and more than a little surprising...

eBuyer went on at length to state that I should expect it take at least 30 days for the board to be returned by Asus, and it would be repaired, not replaced, So I spent the last week or so, getting all my important date and programs onto another, older PC.

In the mail today was a shiny, brand new motherboard!!!

VERY surprised but also happy;-) No wonder I was left confused though.

What they haven't done it seems, is test the board for the same fault, so I guess thats next....

Doesn't surprise me at all. On the rare occasions I've sent motherboards back to Asus, I received a new board. far easier for them that having to repair.

They may not even bother to test the old board.