Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Windows Game Mode is FASTER – $h!t Manufacturers Say

I think I'm still not sure about this for the purpose of FSX and P3D specifically. None of the games he tested are 32bit (cause who uses that anymore?) but FSX and P3D definitely are, and by anecdotal evidence running at the ragged edge of vas exhaustion on many machines. Who's to say, without some very specific testing, if windows kindly returning a bit of ram might not be more beneficial than is the case with more modern programs?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am going to provide some insight here, just because I hate to see these sorts of videos propogate in the wrong places and cause ire.  This guy, as well as others within his Youtube group are paid to say a lot of what you hear to drive markets.  It was only recently that I heard about this little known fact, to which I promptly started to unsub from a lot of the channels, not to mention that some of the sponsors these guys have, are fueling a lot of rage online by obtaining "rights" to content put out by them, subsequently causing a lot of hurt against other, more knowledgeable and less commercial video creators, who provide some rock-solid advice and knowledge for the community.

In other words: taken with a grain of salt.

I think the only way anyone will know for sure is to handle the situation methodically, while scrutinizing everything in order to pass judgement.  I know that eventually, everyone will be on the same playing field with the new Windows 10 CU, but hopefully by then, MS has worked out the issues.  I never pushed the release, nor did I manually install this CU yet.  I'm in no hurry to get it, as everything is working just fine on my rig.  I'll get the warning soon enough for me to do a system image, just in case.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Couldn't watch that guy for more than 3 seconds. Not gonna take anything in that video seriously with that kind of silly 'entaining' performance.

Just now, domae001 said:

Couldn't watch that guy for more than 3 seconds. Not gonna take anything in that video seriously with that kind of silly 'entaining' performance.

Well it's scripted, if that's any indication.  I'll give him credit though that he can be pretty convincing, especially since he's being paid for it.  I'm not agreeing with, nor am I disputing his results, as I don't have any personal comparisons to base from right now, but it does remind me of a famous saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke".

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'll admit he seems a little manic and can be hard work to watch but I've seen a lot of his videos over the past few years and he comes out with plenty of useful information. I can't see how what he is saying could be "driving the market". Game Mode is an operating system feature and whether it works or not is unlikely to influence your decision to use/buy Windows 10 - if it works it's a bonus, if it doesn't it's not as if you've wasted your money on it. Plus, you can easily turn it off if it makes thing worse.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

One change that occurred with the Creator's Update was that many more copies of the OS service host svchost.exe are being spawned... almost one copy per service. In the past, each copy of svchost might have started 5 or more services. With the number being reduced, it is now easier for the OS to downgrade the priority of specific services that aren't needed by a game mode app. Microsoft still needs to provide a mechanism such that 3rd party flightsim addons that run as an EXE file can be protected from priority downgrading during the execution of a host game. I doubt that MS is interested in doing so just for flight sim apps, though.

The addon exe app can be set as a Game and Game Mode enabled on that addon app if required. I've tested the function and found it works well with P3D for example. if we don't see any improvements ON or OFF then there's nothing else going on to spoil the sim, no background chatter. With a carefully carried out background chatter test P3D v3.4 shows quite a good improvement with severe chatter (encoding a video) and the monitor app records greater throughput for the sim and shows less bandwidth for the monitor app. The monitoring app can be set to Game Mode too and shows greater throughput capacity just like the sim it's protected from background chatter and treated as a game. In the case of the monitor app used it makes no difference to the sim but it's possible some types of app can slow the sim if they become unresponsive, so these can be given the Game Mode setting and Enabled if required. Remember that what appears to be background chatter, that's any activity other than the game, is reduced in bandwidth, if that includes something the game relies on then the game may be slowed.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Here's a more extensive test of Game Mode: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3187171/windows/tested-windows-10s-game-mode-makes-unplayable-games-playable-sometimes.html. The results are mostly very similar to the video above. However, with a number of active programs running in the background it did make a difference. On lower-end systems it may be the difference between the game being playable or not. But for most of us who make sure we have nothing unnecessary running whilst we sim, it's probably not going to make any significant difference.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit