Sign in to follow this  
jcjimmy

XP11.01r2 is out

Man when are they going to address the performance issues, and fix the reflections slider in graphics settings? 

34 minutes ago, Jimm said:

We're mincing words here.

Not really.  A release candidate is technically a beta.

Maybe we should look at the meta beta (-:

The metabeta should provide us with the metadata.

12 minutes ago, Cat_Dad said:

Where is the box to check?

Terry

A simple search, will yield the results you seek:

http://www.x-plane.com/kb/using-x-plane-betas/

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

10 minutes ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Man when are they going to address the performance issues, and fix the reflections slider in graphics settings? 

There is nothing wrong with the performance, nor are issues with reflections.  If you have an issue with either, then turn your settings down.

• Upvote 1

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

3 minutes ago, Jimm said:

There is nothing wrong with the performance, nor are issues with reflections.  If you have an issue with either, then turn your settings down.

Are you sure, I have read many posts on the net about the handling of reflections being poorly managed. Plus at its current state doesn't XP only use one CPU Core?

I run a machine slightly faster than yours minus the 1080, I have a EVGA 980Ti but a 1080Ti FTW3 on the way shortly and can definitely say there's room for improvement on performance. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Are you sure, I have read many posts on the net about the handling of reflections being poorly managed. Plus at its current state doesn't XP only use one CPU Core?

I run a machine slightly faster than yours minus the 1080, I have a EVGA 980Ti but a 1080Ti FTW3 on the way shortly and can definitely say there's room for improvement on performance. 

My certainty is based on experience with the sim, on my own system, as well as feedback i too have read, on here and at the Org, even from Youtubers, which have stated that the performance is fine and as far as reflections go, that can be a matter of taste, in how much you apply.

24 minutes ago, Jimm said:

A simple search, will yield the results you seek:

http://www.x-plane.com/kb/using-x-plane-betas/

Sorry,

I am relatively new  to the X-Plane community  (less than one year) and all of the beta stuff went away on my X-p-11 when r1 came out or when I had to update the missing above/below 60 degree latitude scenery that was missing from my "Full Scenery" install.

Thanks for the help,

Terry

Just now, Cat_Dad said:

Sorry,

I am relatively new  to the X-Plane community  (less than one year) and all of the beta stuff went away on my X-p-11 when r1 came out or when I had to update the missing above/below 60 degree latitude scenery that was missing from my "Full Scenery" install.

Thanks for the help,

Terry

I meant no offense or condescending attitude with my reply.  I understand there has been an influx of "new" people lately, with the release of XP11, so with that, make note of the following that can help a lot with getting to know X-Plane, and staying informed:

http://forums.x-plane.org/ - Best source for freeware, payware, donationware, forum info about X-Plane products and the core simulator

http://developer.x-plane.com/ - Follow Ben Supnik with continual updates on existing and new X-Plane features and release

http://questions.x-plane.com/ - A great place to ask questions directed to LR

http://www.x-plane.com/support/ - Get it straight from LR with pertinent information about X-Plane

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Angelo Cosma said:

X-Plane uses more than one core, and has for years.

As I understand it, the primary flight sim runs on one core, like most flight sims. Additional cores are used for pre-loading scenery and a few other graphics operations. Additional cores are also used to run the flight models of AI aircraft, so the more cores you have available (and the faster), the more AI aircraft you can run at once without hitting the frame rate. 

The amount of VRAM you have on your graphics card is a factor. The more, the better, so your new card is a good choice. Depending on how much high-def terrain mesh and orthophotos you're using, you'll also want plenty of system RAM. The minimum requirement is 8 GB, but the recommended amount is 16-24 GB RAM or more.

And even with all the above, there are still limits to what you can expect. As one of the devs Ben Supnik said recently (paraphrasing), X-Plane isn't designed to be a 60 frame per second game. Adjust the sliders so you're getting at least 30 fps and enjoy the eye candy.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hey Angelo, 

Pls let us know if there is a significant improvement using your 1080Ti, I am also running a Evga980Ti Ftw on a 4790k machine. I usually get around mid to upper 20s with a few stutters when using clouds. I probably could get better performance if I decrease the sliders but I am okay with what I am getting. :cool:.

Ron

3 minutes ago, RonF said:

Hey Angelo, 

Pls let us know if there is a significant improvement using your 1080Ti, I am also running a Evga980Ti Ftw on a 4790k machine. I usually get around mid to upper 20s with a few stutters when using clouds. I probably could get better performance if I decrease the sliders but I am okay with what I am getting. :cool:.

Ron

Hey Ron, another thing to remember is VRAM.  The performance of upper range graphics cards will get the job done, but it's the staying power, in the form of more VRAM, that helps maintain a smooth flight.  I'm seeing more and more now, with the upgraded graphic capabilities of X-Plane, coupled with the added detail and hi-res imagery from third party developers, that beg the need for 8GB of VRAM to comfortably enjoy the simulator (with emphasis on the word 'comfortable'). :happy:

Thanks for the prompt reply, I know I have only 6gb vram & I kind of keep an eye on the load right now I am seeing around 5+gb so it is pretty close to limit & probably goes over at times & I assume that is the result of the"stuttering "I will probably spring for the 1080Ti pretty soon. I love this sim coming from years of Fsx & P3d experience, no more oom worries!!!:cool:

Ron

1 hour ago, RonF said:

Thanks for the prompt reply, I know I have only 6gb vram & I kind of keep an eye on the load right now I am seeing around 5+gb so it is pretty close to limit & probably goes over at times & I assume that is the result of the"stuttering "I will probably spring for the 1080Ti pretty soon. I love this sim coming from years of Fsx & P3d experience, no more oom worries!!!:cool:

Ron

You and a lot of other folks here and elsewhere have expressed the same concern about low VRAM, and yes, the possibility of degraded performance can be caused by low VRAM.  With X-Plane, we're beyond the OOM problem and now it's all a matter of RAM.