Sign in to follow this  
jcjimmy

XP11.01r2 is out

41 minutes ago, Jimm said:

You and a lot of other folks here and elsewhere have expressed the same concern about low VRAM, and yes, the possibility of degraded performance can be caused by low VRAM.  With X-Plane, we're beyond the OOM problem and now it's all a matter of RAM.

And as a reminder, monitor resolution has a huge impact on how much VRAM you actually need.

I'm still using a GTX970 with a measly 3.5 GB of usable high-speed VRAM, and I'm getting an average of 40 fps on fairly high settings in XP11. It's because I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor, and just not pushing that many pixels across the GPU buss.

I also have 32GB of system RAM which helps avoid stuttering with scenery pre-loading, but I think ti's the monitor resolution that's giving me such good performance compared to someone using say, a 4K monitor or a multi-monitor setup.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

10 hours ago, RonF said:

Thanks for the prompt reply, I know I have only 6gb vram & I kind of keep an eye on the load right now I am seeing around 5+gb so it is pretty close to limit & probably goes over at times & I assume that is the result of the"stuttering "I will probably spring for the 1080Ti pretty soon. I love this sim coming from years of Fsx & P3d experience, no more oom worries!!!:cool:

Ron

are you sure your gpu is the bottleneck ? if not, then trowing a titan at it, wont help you with more than a few frames.

If you gpu load is significantly higher than your cpu load then yes it might help.

VRAM usage is definitely something to watch: Taking off with the Airfoillabs C172 at LSZH with the Aerosoft scenery pretty much immediately makes me use 6,5 GB VRAM on my 8GB card.

(I do not know, however, how much scenery and aircraft devs can do to optimize their addons in that regard and how well the GPU can dump scenery from memory.)

vram is a problem yes, but i think people dont realize what happens when you start VRAM swapping.

We are not talking about some subtle stutters or maybe a few frames less.  When you start VRAM swapping you either CTD or will be in the single digit FPS. Your HDD will be used as ram and considering VRAM is pretty much the fastest avaible RAM in the market, its like going to a full stop from 400 Mph.

If you have the problem you will definately know about it and it will be obvious. Of course there are some edge cases like the Geforce 9er series with the 3.5gb issue but in general once you start VRAM swapping its game over.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, alpha12125 said:

When you start VRAM swapping you either CTD or will be in the single digit FPS.

This can happen, regardless of texture load.  More often than not, CTDs occur if something isn't loaded correctly, and that's usually due to a bad Lua script or associated add-on.  I had this happen on my system, while trying out the Advanced Settings add-on from the Org.  My performance went down the tubes, though no CTD happened at the time, but realizing that this was the failure point, I got rid of it and then everything was working fine.  The log.txt file is invaluable for troubleshooting issues like this and you can learn a lot about how X-Plane works during a loaded scenario.

Fortunately, Laminar built-in a "check" for loaded texture sizes.  In the settings->graphics window, under the heading of Texture Quality, you will see the amount of loaded textures.  Since the options on the left-hand side of this window are controlled by the gpu, then it is a simple matter of adjusting the settings, so as to compensate for the memory usage.  Doing periodic checks, during a flight and making adjustments on the fly is a great feature in XP11 that can help those who don't have enough VRAM. 

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I just did a fresh install of this version to test. All I have loaded is the modded 737-800 by Zibo and I have to say it seems very smooth and fluid. Even the stock clouds are performing well with live X-Plane weather.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

If you're really wanting to know vram use check out GPU-Z as it's more realistic 

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |