Hey guys i am wanting to purchsde a 7700k with a new mobo abd ram

Thou wanting to keep my 2 x titans sc

Will they bottleneck?

What mobo and ram do you guys recommend?

Cheers

Mike

I would take an ASUS PRIME Z270-A and some DDR4 RAM (G.Skill, Corsair Vengeance, not necessarily high speed ram). This is pretty standard config we do with that CPU.

Don't forget you will need a cooler for the 7700k - better be a liquid one if you plan to overclock (I assume is the case since it's flight sim)

Also, what is your CPU right now? I ask because depending on that maybe you won't get a big difference with the upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Sino said:

I would take an ASUS PRIME Z270-A and some DDR4 RAM (G.Skill, Corsair Vengeance, not necessarily high speed ram). This is pretty standard config we do with that CPU.

Don't forget you will need a cooler for the 7700k - better be a liquid one if you plan to overclock (I assume is the case since it's flight sim)

Also, what is your CPU right now? I ask because depending on that maybe you won't get a big difference with the upgrade.

hi 

I have currently ai74790k at 4.4ghz

Asus vi extreme mobo

And 16gb ram redline mushkin

Will my gpus bottleneck tho?

I may be wrong, so others please chime in, but I don't think there is a significant performance increase from a 4790K to a 7700K?

Just my understanding, and apologies if I'm wrong, but double check, as it will save you some money upgrading!

• Upvote 1

And why should the GPUs be the bottleneck? Especially in P3D? :-)

Hi everyone,

I am running 6700k@4.5Ghz, people say 7700k can overclock to 5Ghz, that is 500Mhz difference and I'm still curious if it will make any difference in P3D. I tested 4Ghz and 4.5Ghz with my CPU and it does make a difference.

The graphic card (even GTX 1080) sometimes run P3D at 100% but still have poor performance, I think it is because the simulator is poorly optimized. Even running at 100% it does not use all the resources the graphic card provides. And for P3D almost always CPU is the bottleneck not the GPU.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I've got both a 4790K and 6700K running, and the biggest difference in my opinion is the ability to up the memory speed in my case to 3400 MHz.  Memory speed matters, but for the cost maybe you should simply add a liquid cooler to your 4790K.  You should get 4.7GHz on that 4790K with liquid.

The only reason I have the 6700K (OC 4.7GHz) is because I wanted a second computer dedicated to flight simulation.  Stuff like charts, flight planning and my home office are on the 4790K.  I wouldn't go to from a 6700K to a 7700K, and not sure I would have gotten the 6700K had I not wanted a second computer.

I've never seen my 980Ti work any harder than 40% of GPU... not sure where a 100% GPU loading is coming from. Interesting.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

I've got both a 4790K and 6700K running, and the biggest difference in my opinion is the ability to up the memory speed in my case to 3400 MHz.  Memory speed matters, but for the cost maybe you should simply add a liquid cooler to your 4790K.  You should get 4.7GHz on that 4790K with liquid.

The only reason I have the 6700K (OC 4.7GHz) is because I wanted a second computer dedicated to flight simulation.  Stuff like charts, flight planning and my home office are on the 4790K.  I wouldn't go to from a 6700K to a 7700K, and not sure I would have gotten the 6700K had I not wanted a second computer.

I've never seen my 980Ti work any harder than 40% of GPU... not sure where a 100% GPU loading is coming from. Interesting.

What do you use for measuring the GPU? I use nvidiainspector it has a "GPU load" section. If this is the correct one then I get 99% or 100% every once in a while especially when loading heavy clouds it goes 99-100% all the time.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

42 minutes ago, Hoang said:

What do you use for measuring the GPU? I use nvidiainspector it has a "GPU load" section. If this is the correct one then I get 99% or 100% every once in a while especially when loading heavy clouds it goes 99-100% all the time.

Using Process Explorer.  I dropped using NI about a year or more ago or somewhere around P3Dv3.3 and especially now with a 4K display I don't need much in the way of graphics tweaks.  I have seen GPU loading shoot up and frame rates plummet when there is a solid overcast or even undercast, and I learned that using a 20 fps frame rate lock fixed that without any impact on the smoothness of animation.  I suspect the increased GPU value has to do with frame rate locking.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 hours ago, Sino said:

Don't forget you will need a cooler for the 7700k - better be a liquid one if you plan to overclock (I assum is the case since it's flight sim)

Not true. The NH-D15 and my favourite the NH-D15S cools beautifully and is very quiet. In fact it's only about  4 - 6 degrees warmer than the mighty (and noisy) Kraken X61. And 4 - 6 degrees amounts to a minuscule increase in frame rate as a result of the minor additional overclock. And of course zero chance of leaks and no pump to become noisy or fail.

If the aesthetics of a big tower cooler aren't considered favourable, and there's limited room in the enclosure, or one gravitates that way as a result of personal choice... by all means AIO. 

17 hours ago, Hoang said:

Hi everyone,

I am running 6700k@4.5Ghz, people say 7700k can overclock to 5Ghz, that is 500Mhz difference and I'm still curious if it will make any difference in P3D. I tested 4Ghz and 4.5Ghz with my CPU and it does make a difference.

Hoang Le

As long as your rig is fairly well balanced, overclocking tends to be linear. You get the same percentage increase in frame rate as frequency increase. Or more or less. Doesn't apply to games though (except those that are very CPU oriented) as most games are GPU biased.

Thank you for your reply guys

Might just overclock my cpu a little

My 4k ips hdr tv 49 inch arrives tomorrow 

Hoping mu gpus will be ok for that

Cheers

Mike