2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Not true. The NH-D15 and my favourite the NH-D15S cools beautifully and is very quiet. In fact it's only about  4 - 6 degrees warmer than the mighty (and noisy) Kraken X61.

Depends on where you look (and whether the CPU is at idle or full load). Here: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d15s-cpu-cooler-review,8.html they show the NH-D15S to be 10 deg C warmer than Corsair H110i GT under load. That's not to say that the NH-D15S isn't a great cooler, will almost certainly be quieter than an AIO and, in most cases, will control the temps well enough for the majority of users. It's probably only with extreme overclocks that the extra 10 deg might be significant. But, as you say, for most of us it boils down to personal choice.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Depends on where you look (and whether the CPU is at idle or full load). Here: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d15s-cpu-cooler-review,8.html they show the NH-D15S to be 10 deg C warmer than Corsair H110i GT under load. That's not to say that the NH-D15S isn't a great cooler, will almost certainly be quieter than an AIO and, in most cases, will control the temps well enough for the majority of users. It's probably only with extreme overclocks that the extra 10 deg might be significant. But, as you say, for most of us it boils down to personal choice.

Yep.

I was referring to full load of course. In addition to cooler capability it depends on the degree of overclock. 

It also depends on the fans. Not so much the H110i, as it is pretty quiet, but as you know many AIO's have higher RPM fans. Thus, with the same fans the gap closes. Important of course to look at delta temp too, as obviously ambient temp varies.

To get a true picture one review, one sample isn't enough, we would have to look at many, otherwise we're just cherry picking. 

4 degrees away from the Kraken here...

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

0 degrees different here.  With 3770K and the H110. The "i" variant is improved of course.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

8 degrees  here, but with the Krakens fans in deafening mode.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/zalman-reserator-3-max-dual-nzxt-kraken-x61-noctua-nh-d15,review-33085-5.html

2 degrees away from the H110 here. and gain, not the "i" or the "GT". 

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua_nh-d15_review/6

So yes, review temps vary, lots of variables, but add another 5 or 6 to that list and we'll get a better picture.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:36 AM, busdriver said:

I may be wrong, so others please chime in, but I don't think there is a significant performance increase from a 4790K to a 7700K?

Just my understanding, and apologies if I'm wrong, but double check, as it will save you some money upgrading!

You are correct. Not much of a difference.. If any, it's very little.  So small that most will never notice. 

On 5/4/2017 at 4:10 AM, martin-w said:

Not true. The NH-D15 and my favourite the NH-D15S cools beautifully and is very quiet. In fact it's only about  4 - 6 degrees warmer than the mighty (and noisy) Kraken X61. And 4 - 6 degrees amounts to a minuscule increase in frame rate as a result of the minor additional overclock. And of course zero chance of leaks and no pump to become noisy or fail.

If the aesthetics of a big tower cooler aren't considered favourable, and there's limited room in the enclosure, or one gravitates that way as a result of personal choice... by all means AIO. 

Water Cooler is much better! Much Better!

On 5/4/2017 at 4:14 AM, martin-w said:

As long as your rig is fairly well balanced, overclocking tends to be linear. You get the same percentage increase in frame rate as frequency increase. Or more or less. Doesn't apply to games though (except those that are very CPU oriented) as most games are GPU biased.

Since our "game" is so poorly designed, there is little no improvement  between 4.7Ghz and 5.2Ghz. You might see a bit of a difference if you test it on a vanilla copy. But, will anyone fly on an out-of-the box P3D and no add-ons?  Very likely not.

Honestly it's not fps we're worried about it's OOM's.  Hopefully P3D x64 and FSW will change that. 

Ot you could try out XP11, we don't worry about those OOM's hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

20 hours ago, joemiller said:

Water Cooler is much better! Much Better!

No it's not. Did you not read the reviews I posted? Not unless you regard the D15's 4 degrees warmer than the Kraken, under load, as "much". Most wouldn't.

The odd review has it further away, but you need to consider something... I own the cooler!  Currently 6700K  4.6 GHz at 74 degrees in RealBench. Utterly quiet.

And then when we install the same fans on the D15 and the best AIO's.... the gap is even smaller.

Big air, namely the NH-D15 and 15S, plus one or two other top tier air coolers still favourably compete with a considerable percentage of AIO's, and do it quietly.

20 hours ago, joemiller said:

Since our "game" is so poorly designed, there is little no improvement  between 4.7Ghz and 5.2Ghz. You might see a bit of a difference if you test it on a vanilla copy. But, will anyone fly on an out-of-the box P3D and no add-ons?  Very likely not.

Not my experience. A few years back myself and a friend both tested this hypothesis. Both of us saw the same percentage increase in performance as percentage increase in frequency. A minor fluctuation or two, but other than that hypothesis verified. 

Just now, martin-w said:

Not my experience. A few years back myself and a friend both tested this hypothesis. Both of us saw the same percentage increase in performance as percentage increase in frequency. A minor fluctuation or two, but other than that hypothesis verified. 

Ok, bring the video.

Just now, joemiller said:

Ok, bring the video.

Are you trolling again?

Calling me a liar?

16 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Are you trolling again?

Calling me a liar?

Thought you had a video. But if you don't.. no worries. 

Just now, martin-w said:

I see your behaviour hasn't changed.

Why ? What do you mean? 

Lol 

ZZZZzzzz....

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |