Sign in to follow this  
paulkemp

whats on the x plane 11 dvd

Hello,

I fancy a go at X Plane but Amazon shows a single DVD box and the description says DVD ROM. I want the global scenery on DVD. Are there 2 versions or is their description poor?

Thanks.

From what I have read elsewhere, there are multiple DVDs for this (1 for the core sim and the rest are for the scenery).  If you have a strong internet connection, it doesn't hurt to buy it directly from LR, as a digital download.  By doing so, you also ensure that LR gets all of the profits.

I just so happened to notice that the distribution of the DVD version is through Aerosoft, and their description of the physical media isn't very clear.  Amazon just reiterates what Aerosoft published.  

Btw, I'd love to know who the member Badger is at Amazon...he tore LR a new one about XP being a video game, rather than a simulator. :angry:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Having to find the X-plane 10 DVD disk-1 and insert it every few flights gets to be a real pain - I assume the same will be true of Xplane 11 - I'd go digital just for this reason alone.
Don't know what will happen when disk-1 degrades and can't be read :(
XP10 is 5 or 6 DVDs in a box.

Cheers
Keith

6 minutes ago, keithb77 said:

Having to find the X-plane 10 DVD disk-1 and insert it every few flights gets to be a real pain - I assume the same will be true of Xplane 11 - I'd go digital just for this reason alone.

Cheers
Keith

Keith,

Do you find this to occur after an update?  If so, then that may be normal for DVD owners.  I have heard similar issues with re-inputting keys in digital products as well, so maybe a quick message fired off to Ben might help?

http://questions.x-plane.com/

http://developer.x-plane.com/

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I recall that LR will replace scratched disks if you bought directly from them. I don't know how far back... Maybe Version 9 since that is still being sold.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:07 PM, keithb77 said:

Cheers
Keith

Rip a .iso disc image file of the disc; create a batch file (in Windows) or a Perl script in OS X/Linux to mount the disc image and run the executable/binary. Two birds in one stone; it's what I'm doing with my current X-Plane install. The only downside is that you'd have to sacrifice some 6 – 8 GB of storage for the disc image.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:16 AM, Jimm said:

Keith,

Do you find this to occur after an update?  If so, then that may be normal for DVD owners.  I have heard similar issues with re-inputting keys in digital products as well, so maybe a quick message fired off to Ben might help?

http://questions.x-plane.com/

http://developer.x-plane.com/

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

X-plane used to require that the dvd be in the tray every time you ran the software. However, they changed this disc check to once a week or so around X-plane 10.35. As for digital pin...I am one of those who sometimes gets the reactivation message from time to time. I do find it slightly annoying but much less than having to fumble around for a disc. I would imagine that the steam version doesn't have this issue... However you don't have access to betas with the steam version which may or may not be an issue for you. 

I'm expecting to get XP11 off Steam one day (don't need betas), but in the mean time I'll keep jockeying the disk...good idea scram, I'll add it to my list of things to get around to :)

Cheers

Keith

I have the DVD version of X-Plane 11 for 2 weeks now. Have started XP11 numerous times to test things (>60-70 times). Not a single time I had to insert disc 1.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

For anyone else with this question.

The Amazon/Aerosoft DVD contains 8 discs of global scenery plus 3 Aerosoft airports.

I wonder why Laminar Research's web store does not ship X-Plane 11 DVD to Brazil and Russia, while they do ship to Venezuela, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Iran, Iraq and Syria! Just to name a few.

"Could not identify delivery methods for the specified address..."

New to x-plane; DVD version. The DVDs didn't decompress onto my hard drive. Since I figured out I had to have the first disc on the player every time I wanted to play, I assumed this was normal. Reading the instructions and comments on boards it is not. My computer is brand new so the DVD player is fine. I tried creating a file called X-Plane and decompressing files into it. Didn't work. The instructions are completely AFU and/or the downloading process isn't working correctly. Can someone explain in completed detail (for someone who has never in over 25 years run into a software download as complicated as this) on how to get the DVDs onto my hard drive. Among other things, I can't figure out how/where to download a new plane.

Thank you,

AFU ???   Should I assume you are saying "All Fouled Up"??? Be very careful about the language used on the AVSIM Forums. Be advised that this topic is over 1 year old and you may not get very many responses.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It's not clear exactly what your problem is, so a few questions:

You said you need disk 1 installed, so does that mean you do have a working X-Plane program that launches okay?

If so, are you asking about how to install the world scenery files? That's done with the Installer program (X-Plane 11 Installer.exe) located in the main X-Plane folder. Just launch that and select the scenery you want.It will prompt you for the disks and run the extraction.

If you're manually adding a new aircraft model, put it in any folder underneath the /Aircraft folder. Some payware models have their own installer routines and preferred locations, but X-Plane itself only cares that plane models are located under that /Aircraft folder.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

After a conversation with X-Plane support and his thought that my problem had to be with Windows, I changed my view in OS 'hide selected items' 'show hidden files, folders, and drives' and then apps data shows up. Then Local, click on the first of the files from the DVDs and there is an icon for X-Plane at the bottom. Right click and send to task bar. Then the program will run by clicking that icon and the disc doesn't have to be in the DVD drive most of the time. So it is Windows 10 that is causing this problem. As for the partial acronym I used that has been around and in popular use since WWII and your cautioning my language, lighten up.