Sign in to follow this  
exxis

Newbiew Problems - Advice needed

Hello everybody,

first of all iam new to FSX or flight simulators in general but i start to really loving it :) Right now try to setup my FSX Steam edition with different addons and i think there might be something wrong.

First of all my System:

i7-5960x @ 4,50 GHz

nVidia GTX 1080

32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000 MHz

Windows 10 64 bit

Windows and my Games (FSX) are on an SSD

Addons i use:

REX Essential Plus Overdrive

Active Sky 2016

GEX Europe v2.40 + UTX Europe

Scenery Tech - Europe Landclass

Posky 777 Bundle

Shade

First problem the clouds:

20170503150414_1bgssy.jpg

20170502033726_1d4s0x.jpg

20170503143222_1egu36.jpg

i dont know why but they dont seem to work right, in different videos on yt or the trailer for REX and Active Sky itself look really nice. In both pictures it seems like the lighting is not right or something like that. 

second Problem:

Fullscreen Black Bar/Flickering textures

20170501020753_1bpuiu.jpg

20170501020821_1gtupw.jpg

this black bar/texture appears only in fullscreen, if i play in window mode it´s gone. This bar is on all tested airports and on different planes, so it´s not a bug from a airplane or airport. Another problem are the flickering textures, mostly landmarks or airport textures are flickering, this occures while i´am on the ground aswell if fly.

third Problem:

FPS tweaks

on the Ground i get between 25 and 40 fps in the Air it depends on the clouds and scenery bust mostly the same fps as on ground. For my System is this normal or can i tweak something to gain more fps? Also i didn´t find a normal file for the enb series, the files i found all contained something with new weather textures.

Advise for Scenery Addons:

there are many different Addons for scenery/textures/landclass/weather, right now the addons i use are from a friend, he doesnt play right now and for a testing purpose i can try them out. So far i like them, right now i only fly around in Europe but plan to fly on the whole globe. Do you suggest that i buy them which i use currently or would you say there is something better/newer right now?

i hope someone can point me in the right direction so i can get the most out of FSX.

Thanks in advance

exxis

Do you have the DX10 Preview check in your settings?  If so, uncheck it.  Does your FSX resolution

match your Windows screen resolution?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 hours ago, charliearon said:

Do you have the DX10 Preview check in your settings?  If so, uncheck it.  Does your FSX resolution

match your Windows screen resolution?

nope running dx9 and the resolution is properly set.

You've got several weather/scenery addons.... suggest you back off Shade / REX / Active Sky and try to get things working right without them.

Once that is all stable, try one at a time..

Bert

7 hours ago, exxis said:

First problem the clouds:

With your system specs, I suspect you have your FSX-SE settings set to max or near max. Your screenshots give it all away.  Very crisp and clear graphics.  Not good!!  Use the following guide in regards to visuals and performance - https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/tips/Pages/OptimizingVisualsAndPerformance.aspx.  Just because you have a superfast and powerful computer system does not mean you can crank up the settings for FSX as the program was never programmed properly to use high settings.

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides some suggested settings that work for all, including recommended Nvidia Inspector settings. 

Agree somewhat with Bert.  REX and Active Sky can take up a lot of resources if not properly set up.  I would leave most of your FSX settings at the default knowing FSX will look bad in some cases.  It is the settings though that were set up by Microsoft based on your system.  In FSX, no sliders should be maxed out.  It's not a modern game like Call of Duty that was recently developed and programmed to use different cores of your CPU or your GPU.

I know you are new here and I thank you for your membership but, please embed your images in the forums as clicking on the thumbnails leads to some strange advertisements that you have to look at before you can view your images. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It's not using resources as much as when you have two addons that write to the same objects - scenery etc, they tend to mess one another up. The result is lights that look like sprite cones or flicking graphics.
It is a conflict between addons.

8 hours ago, Zatoichi said:

when you have two addons that write to the same objects - scenery etc, they tend to mess one another up. The result is lights that look like sprite cones or flicking graphics.

So that's what is causing it.  Flickering graphics is common, especially with DX10 (without Steve's DX10 Fixer).  Anti-aliasing (AA) is broken too in FSX unless you turn your graphic and FSX settings up high and then you lose some performance.  Some of the add-ons, like REX and AS16, do a good job making the sim look better but you can have performance issues if you have the wrong settings (such as 2048 or higher graphics in REX and 4096 in the FSX settings).  GEX replaces your default textures for Europe and UTX is resource intense.  Do not believe it is wise to use Scenery Tech stuff with UTX.  I have a super powerful system at 5 GHz and can't crank up the graphics or FSX/P3D settings very high or will have periodic glitches with the scenery and performance (like long pauses, stuttering, blurries, etc.).  It all takes the enjoyment out of the sim when you have your settings set high in both the FSX settings and Display Driver settings.  If you ever find the "holy grail" of settings, please share them here!!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

19 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You've got several weather/scenery addons.... suggest you back off Shade / REX / Active Sky and try to get things working right without them.

Once that is all stable, try one at a time..

thank you for your answer, yeah that would be probably right now the best if i roll back and go step by step to find what´s causing this.

18 hours ago, Jim Young said:

With your system specs, I suspect you have your FSX-SE settings set to max or near max. Your screenshots give it all away.  Very crisp and clear graphics.  Not good!!  Use the following guide in regards to visuals and performance - https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/tips/Pages/OptimizingVisualsAndPerformance.aspx.  Just because you have a superfast and powerful computer system does not mean you can crank up the settings for FSX as the program was never programmed properly to use high settings.

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides some suggested settings that work for all, including recommended Nvidia Inspector settings. 

Agree somewhat with Bert.  REX and Active Sky can take up a lot of resources if not properly set up.  I would leave most of your FSX settings at the default knowing FSX will look bad in some cases.  It is the settings though that were set up by Microsoft based on your system.  In FSX, no sliders should be maxed out.  It's not a modern game like Call of Duty that was recently developed and programmed to use different cores of your CPU or your GPU.

I know you are new here and I thank you for your membership but, please embed your images in the forums as clicking on the thumbnails leads to some strange advertisements that you have to look at before you can view your images. 

Best regards,

Jim

thank you for your detailed answer, yeah i kinda thought that this game is old and it must run like butter ;) I´ll try both guides and hope i get it running so i still looks good (for his age) and runs smooth.