Sign in to follow this  
Alphafoxsierra

Introducing Flight Sim World!

As one of those that moaned at the delays I feel I should comment - was a nice surprise to log on and see the announcement  - also impressed with the sample video clip - looks as good as I was hoping. Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks time.

11 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Like I said on DTG's forum, they really need to keep third party devs strictly under their thumb

That's a terrible, horrible, awful, really bad idea. :laugh: The SDK needs to be fully open to all comers, or this thing is DOA.

Barry Friedman

I see there is a minimum spec for a PC on Steam but can you advise on a recommended spec? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, fshobby said:

That's a terrible, horrible, awful, really bad idea. :laugh: The SDK needs to be fully open to all comers, or this thing is DOA.

Dtg eula are strict

they own all freeware copyrights 

if you develop payware you need theyr permission to market your products for the sim 

basically you can not sell anything on your own initiative

What's disappointing is that Dovetail prevents the backwards compatibility:

On 13/07/2016 at 11:14 AM, DTG Martin said:

DTG Flight Simulator will not be backwards compatible with existing FSX(SE) add-ons. The reason for this is we strongly believe that in order to move the genre and the technology that powers it forward, you need to break away from the past. Focusing on backwards compatibility would place a lot of restrictions on the type of simulator we could develop.

... but surely to "break away from the past," the better approach is to build a new engine, instead of constantly updating an old one with content that is already in the market? If I just want a glorified FSX, P3D will always be here for me.

You have the FSX code - if you leave it untouched, there will be limitations.

My question is this, are you really pushing Flight Simulation to its boundaries, or are you just holding it back?

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to this hopefully PMDG will do some big jets for this.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Exciting stuff Aimee.

Has DTG considered an updatable nav data base? or at least an option be available to update the nav database? Perhaps through a data provider like Jeppenson or Navigraph. One of the big drawbacks with current sims is that nav aids etc are cast in time. There are work arounds sure but they do have limitations.

Cheers

Steve Hall

52 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Like I said on DTG's forum, they really need to keep third party devs strictly under their thumb. P3D has gone a long way down that road in that add-ons have(generally speaking) now have to fit in with the sim not the other way round. In FSX it was like the Wild West, with some developers making FSX work with their plane/airport and to heck with the rest of your stuff. Having said that, it did at least keep the forums busy! :smile:

Can't agree more, Ron. My hope is with the bar now raised (my favorite moment in the announcement video is the detail on the Cub instrument panel) and DTG's commitment to growing this platform, the kind of down-market providers that have colonized the FSX space won't have anything that would be let into the ring, so it will be in the best interests of the main developers to keep everyone dancing (and spending) happily. 

With ORBX, Carenado, and A2A already built right in, it will be interesting to see who else will even show up, as those 3 developers have an absolute lock on the best addon content available. (My bet is either PMDG or QualityWings will provide the passenger jets when they come). There are a number of developers who are very active with FSX who have nothing on the market that comes close to the quality of the default aircraft that will populate this new sim.

Tim

Hi Aimee, just one question...

Minimum requirements on Steam say you need a GTX 970. Was this supposed to be a recommended requirement?

Well I am excited always for any new FS products.  I will be excited when it rolls out and will be keeping an eye on it.  It will be interesting to see a Sim move through the early access process.  I know X-Plane has its Beta program that is quite successful but this will be different even from that I feel like so I am excited.

I see a bit of a conflict between not making old addons portable while porting Orbx global textures and accusim. Features, those, i could get already in a game developed 11 years ago. I was really hoping for this to be something new, offering NEW addons too and having some solid default unique features. Like, say, XP11 with the new clouds and new default aircrafts.

I understand it's early access but well, most of the times an early access is just an excuse to take people money without giving a clear indication of where the line will be to draw behind which nothing more will be improved.

Watching the video didn't help much, since it was easy to spot on it the same things happening in FSX. Texture blurries, autogen disappearing out of the blue, different definition textures on the clouds too in another screenshot.. and apparently all of this with a single plane. A bit disappointing considering all the time spent on it.

Oh well, i'll keep on watching how things develops but honestly i don't have great hopes and feel this is a FSX mark 2 and nothing more.

• Upvote 4

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I will definitely give the early access a try. I have flown FSX since the day it was released and the old horse is getting a bit tired. I always look forward to new flight sim products and generally give them a shot. Hoping for good things from DTG. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Well played DTG. count me in! best move ever. i love the fact that you are picking up where FSX left off. no need to reinvent the wheel here, as microsoft, well really the ACES team have been the top for years. i am really happy and excited about this, and i love the fact that DTG is commited to this venture!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, france89 said:

I see a bit of a conflict between not making old addons portable while porting Orbx global textures and accusim. Features, those, i could get already in a game developed 11 years ago. I was really hoping for this to be something new, offering NEW addons too and having some solid default unique features. Like, say, XP11 with the new clouds and new default aircrafts.

france89,
Aimée just repeated today what Martin had already made clear two years ago: legacy addons will not be compatible out of the box, i.e. not immediately from Day 1 (except, maybe, for some sceneries and, possibly, other third parties who are secretly cooperating with DTG), but they will probably become compatible soon after some minor recompiling by the developers. DTG Flight Sim World was a conservative choice, remember. DTG opted for a long established platform instead of rebuilding a new simulator from zero exactly with this in mind: making legacy addons easily compatible with the 64-bit platform, taking into account that most of simmers are not ready to give up their investment. At least, this is my understanding.

I agree about the rest. I was not "shocked to wow" by what I have seen so far, but again: this is FSX with a lot of rework and 64 bit. Not a new graphic engine. I have not big expectations in this regard. If Flight Sim World will allow me to use my current payware aircraft for FSX Steam in a 64-bit environment with some optimizations within a reasonable time (and reasonable upgrade costs), I am OK. If I want more than that, I have Aerofly FS2, which is in my view by far the most promising platform. I don't need more than this.
Hugs

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

france89,
Aimée just repeated today what Martin had already made clear two years ago: legacy addons will not be compatible out of the box, i.e. not immediately from Day 1 (except, maybe, for some sceneries and, possibly, other third parties who are secretly cooperating with DTG), but they will probably become compatible soon after some minor recompiling by the developers. DTG Flight Sim World was a conservative choice, remember. DTG opted for a long established platform instead of rebuilding a new simulator from zero exactly with this in mind: making legacy addons easily compatible with the 64-bit platform, taking into account that most of simmers are not ready to give up their investment. At least, this is my understanding.

I agree about the rest. I was not "shocked to wow" by what I have seen so far, but again: this is FSX with a lot of rework and 64 bit. Not a new graphic engine. I have not big expectations in this regard. If Flight Sim World will allow me to use my current payware aircraft for FSX Steam in a 64-bit environment with some optimizations within a reasonable time (and reasonable upgrade costs), I am OK. If I want more than that, I have Aerofly FS2, which is in my view by far the most promising platform. I don't need more than this.
Hugs

I might interpret it differently then when she says

Flight Sim World is not designed to be backwards compatible with FSX add-ons. All part of moving forwards, I'm afraid!

I guess i thought this meant that, to bring the platform forward, they should introduce only new original addons to their Flight Sim and nothing that was previously available.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."