Sign in to follow this  
kityatyi

A question regarding the upcoming 747-8

I would like to ask if something like that on the attached image, will be featured in the upcoming 747-8 and also, may I ask how is that "moving map" called?

http://2.1m.yt/ClNmEBZ.jpg

• Upvote 1

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

If PMDG are going to implement this, which I believe is a standard feature in the 747-8, I'd be intrigued to see how they do it. I suppose they could get some way of reading the AFCAD file for the airport you're at?

The 747-8 also has an EFB as standard, but best not to open that can of worms again...

Previews of the QW 787 show they have it working so I guess PMDG will know a way of implementing it.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

If PMDG are going to implement this, which I believe is a standard feature in the 747-8, I'd be intrigued to see how they do it. I suppose they could get some way of reading the AFCAD file for the airport you're at?

The 747-8 also has an EFB as standard, but best not to open that can of worms again...

Exactly, that is why I asked - because it is standard on the 748, I am very excited to see this in the upcoming PMDG version! 

• Upvote 1

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

Garmin calls it Safe taxi™, no idea what Boeing calls it.  But it runs on its own dedicated database, issued every two months.  Again, Boeing may implement this differently.

Gentlemen

It's the "Airport Moving Map", used as an 'situational awareness' tool, just one issue, may not be available to all airports and it requires a lot of resources to keep it up to date.

Best regards

Palle H. Jensen

That's nice and all, but I'll bet it slow things to a crawl

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Flight1's GTN750 has a similar function and it does not bring things to a crawl so it is definitely doable. Question is, if PMDG are going for the ultimate realism or will skip this otherwise standard feature of the 748.

• Upvote 1

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

Just a small difference between the GTN and PMDG: The GTN uses the actual Garmin Trainer, which includes a fully licensed database of ground layouts. No license issues there.

Buying a license could actually be a killer for this feature since PMDG does not have such an option to "simply" show the display of another program inside the simulator.
Let's wait and see though, I am sure they will be able to find a solution if they really want to.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

On 5/4/2017 at 9:44 AM, b777trng said:

Gentlemen

It's the "Airport Moving Map", used as an 'situational awareness' tool, just one issue, may not be available to all airports and it requires a lot of resources to keep it up to date.

Best regards

Palle H. Jensen

It is called the Airport Map Display in the 747-8, the Airport Moving Map would be on the EFB if that mode is operational. It does basically the same thing on the EFB that it does on the ND.

You display the Airport Map by selecting Airport on the EFIS control panel and being in a range of 5nm or less. The range on the 747-8 goes down to a low of .5 and a high of 1280nm. This is one of the differences on the -8, so to exclude it would not be realistic. It displays runways, taxiways, signs, markings, buildings, water nearby, etc. If you turn on the weather radar, the buildings disappear.

There is an added Database for the Airport Map that has to be checked current on the status page as well. It does not relieve pilots of having taxi charts out (Jepp 10-9) which is primary, that Airport Map is for SA as mentioned. It is very similar to what is on the 787.

• Upvote 3

Very informative, Alexander, thank you! I am sincerely hoping this will be modeled. I am actually pretty sure it will be. I just cannot see PMDG leaving such a standard feature out just because it is too complex. They are not like that.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

6 hours ago, kityatyi said:

Very informative, Alexander, thank you! I am sincerely hoping this will be modeled. I am actually pretty sure it will be. I just cannot see PMDG leaving such a standard feature out just because it is too complex. They are not like that.

Thank you and I agree, if Quality Wings is going to have it on their 787 then, then I would be willing to bet it will be on the PMDG -8

• Upvote 2