Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Cairns to PNG - Part 1: Horn Island

The long-awaited continuation of our flights Down Under!

I'm sticking with the principles that Jeff started our travels with, so this will be a continuous route (no gaps) designed to be flown by a combination of warbird, "work" and "fun" aircraft.  We will begin where we left off in Cairns and tour the Cape York Peninsula, taking two sessions to arrive at Horn Island, which will serve as a jumping off point for the Torres Strait islands in the third week. Then on up to Papua New Guinea for some serious bush flying in the Goilala and Kokoda Trail areas.

Flight plans (.pln and .plg) for the route to Horn Island can be downloaded here.

The hope is to make it as far as Pormpuraaw (YPMP) this week.

No pictures I'm afraid as I've spent half an hour failing to insert an image and am losing the will to live :angry:

Definitely something screwy going on with posting images, what I tried a dozen times a few days ago worked first time today :huh:

YBCSYHID.jpg?raw=1

Scenery

Orbx Oz (payware) and OzX, as before. I'll post links for the Torres Strait islands scenery (including Horn Island) in time for next week's flight.

Note: Orbx sale!  For the PNG flights, you might like to pick up the Tapini and Jacksons sceneries while they're 47% off if you don't have them (nice timing Orbx, I was about to buy Tapini at full price!)

Particulars

Date and time: May 6, 2017, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS (latest version recommended).

Additional: There is a new test release of JoinFS, version 1.1.16. Get it here.

The will to live is a prerequisite to inserting an image. Where is the image hosted? If it's on your own computer forget it. If it is, sent it to me and I'll host it and post it.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

8 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Where is the image hosted?

Hi Ron, I was trying to insert an image hosted on Dropbox, I also tried it from Google Drive, also no dice.  Tried it again this morning doing it exactly the same way as I was trying before and it worked first time. I guess one of the sites just wasn't cooperating when I was trying to do it before.

I've tried linking from Dropbox and failed. I host my screen shots etc. on my own host Finnglish.co.uk

Don't know about Google Drive.

Cracking flight this evening! There may even be a couple of recruits for formation flying. Spitfires do that to a man. :smile:

oddmanout.jpg

Four Spits. a yellow peril and God knows what that other guy's in!

• Upvote 1

Spits in formation 

Spitformation3.jpg

MM working into the diamond

Spitformation2.jpg

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Brilliant! I'd love to have the full size of shot two. As it is it's my new desktop. Triple thumbs up.

Agreed on the beautiful screenshot. Aviation art at its best. Worth framing.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

This week's flight has us following the flight plan posted last week and continuing up the Cape York Peninsula, finally departing the Australian mainland and finishing at Horn Island.

Scenery

The combination of Orbx Oz and OzX takes us most of the way, but Horn Island marks the start of the Torres Strait islands scenery.  To get the full effect when we land, you could install Mike Burbidge's scenery for the island and airport (freeware).  Alan Blencowe's model library is also needed to make everything present and correct.

Particulars

Date and time: May 13, 2017, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS (latest version recommended - still on v1.1.16 at time of going to press).

Pics from Part 2 of the journey up the Cape York Peninsula.

capeyork1.jpg

MM and Nick in formation

capeyork2.jpg

Nick closing up.

capeyork3.jpg

Nick & Ron in the King Air

capeyork4.jpg

Spit & King

lockhartriver1.jpg

Three inbound to Lockhart River

lockhartriver2.jpg

Nick, keeping it close all the way in.

lockhartriver335446.jpg

Nick, touching down just behind Ron

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I'll see your screenshots and raise you...4

Sorry Nick I didn't have your paint.

sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

sat3.jpg

No, we didn't touch. :tongue:

sat4.jpg

Very nice flying Nick.