Sign in to follow this  
jeffhunter

Proper procedure for autoland? *HELP*

Landing in thick fog will depend on whether the ILS for that runway is CAT III rated - lots aren't, eg Heathrow's runways are only certified for CAT I and II, so the worst conditions you could land in are a Decision Height of 100 ft and Runway Visual Range of 1200 ft.Even a CAT IIIb requires a RVR of 700 ft with no DH.CAT II and III ops are not permitted in Australia, so the minima are DH 200, RVR 2400. Fog is not usually a problem here, except in Canberra, although it beats me why anyone would want to go there!Operators and aircraft have to be certified to CAT III standard, and both the pilot and the aircraft have to do one autoland every 45 days to remain current.I'm not sure whether any runway anywhere is yet certified to CAT IIIc standard, eg 0 DH/0 RVR.In short, the pea-souper/medical emergency flight that was in fs2002 would involve a IIIc approach - but as PIC you can elect to break the rules for an emergency.Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Runways 27L/R and 09L/R at Heathrow are CAT III. The UK CAT IIIb limits are DH lower than 15m or no DH, and RVR less than 200m but not less than 75m (246ft). Special safeguards and procedures are applied during CAT II/III operations to provide protection to aircraft operating in low visibility conditions, and to protect the ILS signal. Pre-takeoff holding points may be further from the runways. Taxiways within ILS sensitive areas are marked by a colour coded centreline (alternate yellow/green lights) and pilots should avoid stopping in these areas and only report 'Runway Vacated' when clear of these areas.

I remember the first time I (as a passenger) experienced an Autolanding on a TWA L1011 in '84. It was bumpy as heck, and the pilot even apologized. However, since it was JFK, winds could have come into play or even wake turbulence.-John

Guest Adverse Yawn

>>But otherwise, I doubt if real airline pilots let the computer do all >>the work.As mgh says, it ain't their choice. To give an example, British Airways A3xx pilots now must fly normal ops using automation (throttles and stick). Reasonabley recently the use of auto-throttle on approach was made mandatory for normal ops too. Clearly there maybe exceptions to the rule. I'm sure there are other examples.I suspect the main reason has nothing to do with safety, but fuel efficiency. Although the safety card will be played if anyone tries to criticise it!

Fair enough. I've since had a look at the UK AIP, and although I see that operators can be approved for CAT III but can't find any specific reference to CAT III minima. Are you able to tell me where I might find them??Just interested.regards,Jeff

Jeff Hunter

I don't think that anyone is disputing that when weather, currency, safety or company/regularory policy say an autoland should be done, that then it should. That all makes sense.But with no requirements or reason to use an autoland existing, then why would yu use it and take away the best part of a flight? Assuming that one is capable of flying an approach manually.Bruce.

They're in the AIP in AD 1-1-2 Aerodrome Operating Minima Section 2.10.