Sign in to follow this  
andreh

Is there apoint to getting Orbx Regions if you fly tubeliners?

Hi, 

Quick question, as the title suggests. I was thinking EU England, North Germany etc. Will I see anything at tubeliner altitudes? Will they perform with PMDG aircraift? Or will I see blurries etc.... My specs are i7 6700k @4.6 and a gtx1070

Thanks in advance,

Andre

If you land at say heathrow, or berlin or any place which is covered by the region 

and providing you still have enough headroom vas and performance wise.. you can add it :).

I know I did for my shorts hops to eggl and eddt :)/

Victor Roos

It's what I thought. Thanks guys. I have for instance, Prealsoft's Frankfurt City and Aerosoft's Frankfurt Airport v2 --> OOM, so I'm going to skip it

Andre

well, pearlsoft is more intens than ftx englang I can tell your from my experience :). BUt yeah, that combo is killing, hahah

Victor Roos

3 hours ago, andreh said:

Hi, 

Quick question, as the title suggests. I was thinking EU England, North Germany etc. Will I see anything at tubeliner altitudes? Will they perform with PMDG aircraift? Or will I see blurries etc.... My specs are i7 6700k @4.6 and a gtx1070

Thanks in advance,

Andre

You might want to consider FTX Global. It is overall a great improvement over the default FSX/P3D textures with no performance overhead to speak of.

1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

You might want to consider FTX Global. It is overall a great improvement over the default FSX/P3D textures with no performance overhead to speak of.

Already have global + vector 

I have Global and some regions and I dont notice performance issues when flying PMDG over a region, sometimes I think to notice a couple of FPS, but nothing that bothers my flying. If you want to use regions  for the view from the big aircraft at FL360... I dont really notice any difference between Global and regions, I got the regions pure for GA flights, low and slow. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

You should be fine!. I have all Orbx NA regions and fly the NGX with steady 30+ FPS...And LOD at ultra.  I fly short routes so no real VAS issues either. Just be reasonable with settings( scenery settings at dense) , only use 1024 textures. Flew from KLAS to KLAX with SoCal and very impressive. Have a 7700k stock speed and  GTX 980. Great combo

Long flights may introduce VAS issues

1 hour ago, planechaser said:

You should be fine!. I have all Orbx NA regions and fly the NGX with steady 30+ FPS...And LOD at ultra.  I fly short routes so no real VAS issues either. Just be reasonable with settings( scenery settings at dense) , only use 1024 textures. Flew from KLAS to KLAX with SoCal and very impressive. Have a 7700k stock speed and  GTX 980. Great combo

Long flights may introduce VAS issues

Good to hear. If there's no performance penalty I might just go for it. Seems I can throw anything at my rig. Only problem I have is VAS. 

1 hour ago, planechaser said:

Just be reasonable with settings( scenery settings at dense) , only use 1024 textures.

The key to every thing when simming.

Vic green

i recommend buying EU LC and north America :D

12 minutes ago, andreh said:

Good to hear. If there's no performance penalty I might just go for it. Seems I can throw anything at my rig. Only problem I have is VAS. 

yeah, well, VAS is the trouble here also, the regions are very heavy on VAS.

737 works ok with them with conservative settings... 747/777 are oom city. if you turn off autogen completely you can make it work, but still a gamble, and moreso with addon airports. the sparse ones like alaska fare a bit better! but the ones with dense urban areas, around SF, los angeles, london, seattle etc..not so much unless you avoid those city areas.

at that stage you have to ask, if you are adding a bunch of scenery just so you can turn the settings low enough to not display the scenery, then what's the point of adding it?

keep in mind that they are fantastic for vfr and low and slow flying! i use a lot of them myself, bush flying in alaska is awesome...imho that is what they are really designed for... Q400 works great all over california too... i just avoid flying the 747/777 near them. in the old days before the unified lookup i would always turn them off in ftx central before using the 777.. wish we still had that feature 

good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, spesimen said:

at that stage you have to ask, if you are adding a bunch of scenery just so you can turn the settings low enough to not display the scenery, then what's the point of adding it?

Very, very good point, indeed!

I would be upset if I couldn't have my FTX regions.  For example So Cal, I was born on the Mojave desert and default textures cover the desert with beige sand but deserts are wonderfully diverse and sometimes even colorful.  FTX So Cal even adds the old potash plant at Trona, one valley West of Death Valley, where I was born and the trip at FL360 includes dry lakes, old lava flows and even sand dunes where they exist.  Wonderful.

Dan Downs KCRP