Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Is DTG FS World "restricted" to GA ?

A mission editor, but aircraft and scenery? Will there be a public SDK with tools and plugins?

58 minutes ago, Marco Van Dam said:

This can be a big problem for some developers i suppose...

they will have to sell tons of addons to pay:

steam

dtg

tax man / woman

customer support

updates

wages

licences (if needed)

1 hour ago, DTG_Aimee said:

Freeware is allowed. That is why we included a Pro Mission Editor. We are helping that process along by working Steam workshop functionality into FSW at a later date. 

yes Aimee

freeware allowed - that is good

but who is going to hold the copyrights ?

it is written in all your eula that any freeware work is your basically and you can use as you pleased.

will this be the case for the fsw eula ?

Be aware that EULA's discussions are not allowed on Avsim.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

42 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I did not know that. Thank you for the heads up!

Aimee Sanjari

Brand Manager, Dovetail Games

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

57 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I think only P3D EULA discussions are not allowed?

I cannot find any reference or topic about other EULA's discussion being not allowed.

Edited by Murmur
Better wording
  • Upvote 4

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think it would be silly to not allow DTG to discuss and clarify their own EULA.  

• Upvote 6

Ryan

2 hours ago, rjack1282 said:

I think it would be silly to not allow DTG to discuss and clarify their own EULA

I totally agree... this is not Prepar3d !!!  What DTG plans to allow and not allow regarding third party contributions to their new product appears to be totally relevant and appropriate in this setting.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, arsenal82 said:

they will have to sell tons of addons to pay:

steam

dtg

tax man / woman

customer support

updates

wages

licences (if needed)

The flip side, is that if a payware developer sells through DTG/Steam, they don't have to run a storefront web site, handle credit card transactions, pay for download bandwidth, and there will be at least one layer of user-generated support in the Steam forums.

Steam also offers a massive amount of free advertising for DLC that a developer doesn't have to pay for.

In return, DTG/Steam takes a slice of the profits. If the sales volume is higher than it would be just running an outside shop, this could be a good deal. Especially for individual, one-person developers, if not larger outfits like Carenado or PMDG.

Edit to add: One more bonus in selling via Steam is that it's all DRM'd, so a developer doesn't have to set up and support their own copy protection system.

• Upvote 6

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

No Discussions of Prepar3D Academic or Professional Licenses Allowed

I can confirm the restriction applies only to P3D

C Jodry

Managing Editor

Avsim BOD

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, Paraffin said:

In return, DTG/Steam takes a slice of the profits.

If you consider 60+ percent as just a "slice" I suppose. To me that's darn near the whole pie!

• Upvote 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If set up correctly the developer will be able to make money and dovetail get extra funds to improve flight sim engine.  The numbers and way the revenue is distributed can be negioatable not set in stone.  Having right balance is key here  

Why are you guys so focused on the fact that DTG wants to have 3rd party addons also through steam? They don't forbid them to sell theyr products in theyr own shop! And the price discussion? We have no idea what the price policy will be. You can buy the same grocerys from an infinite number of stores at different prices (it's not written that PMDG will have to offer the STEAM version at the same price as in theyr own store).

I personaly like the idea to have the addons on steam asswell and I might be willing to also pay a small fee for that. The fact is that if you own a lot of addons purchased in a number of X stores from Y developers and you have to fresh install everything...that is a tremendous work. You have to go to your X stores, search in your mails to find your X usernames and passwords, eventualy do a handsearch for updates and hotfixes (I just went through this hell upon W10 Creators Update release). So why not having all that stuff bundled in your STEAM account?

• Upvote 2

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

4 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Why are you guys so focused on the fact that DTG wants to have 3rd party addons also through steam? They don't forbid them to sell theyr products in theyr own shop! And the price discussion? We have no idea what the price policy will be. You can buy the same grocerys from an infinite number of stores at different prices (it's not written that PMDG will have to offer the STEAM version at the same price as in theyr own store).

I personaly like the idea to have the addons on steam asswell and I might be willing to also pay a small fee for that. The fact is that if you own a lot of addons purchased in a number of X stores from Y developers and you have to fresh install everything...that is a tremendous work. You have to go to your X stores, search in your mails to find your X usernames and passwords, eventualy do a handsearch for updates and hotfixes (I just went through this hell upon W10 Creators Update release). So why not having all that stuff bundled in your STEAM account?

I agree Steam is very convenient for keeping track of all your purchases, downloads etc. and automatically re-installing everything after you wipe your drives and keeping everything updated. However the price premium does tend to be pretty high, if you look at X-Plane and FSX SE. Not worth it for that one time every 3 - 5 years when I have to re-install everything.

So while some like the idea of Steam, and are willing to pay a premium to get their content via this platform, it should absolutely not be mandatory. Neither for developers nor for customers. If a developer feels like they only want to publish on their own site or via their own storefront, they should be free to do so. Somehow this has worked beautifully for X-Plane and FSX, ever since they arrived on Steam.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

On ‎7‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 10:40 PM, n4gix said:

If you consider 60+ percent as just a "slice" I suppose. To me that's darn near the whole pie!

To me, that's just borderline criminal. Or - if some may find this too clearly put - at the least insanely greedy... It just doesn't feel right, period.

Instead, DTG should focus COMPLETELY on making a top of the line Next Generation flightsim, and let the addon business do their part and make their own money. If FSW is any good, DTG will make the profit it deserves and there will be no one who complains about it.

• Upvote 1

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit