Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The latest Laminar Research news post through email

53 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

The exact vid has now been posted to this thread.  Everyone can now utilize the information and methodology within.

No offense but the ocre methodology really isn't that much different from that of FSX and P3D: trial and error.  Since everyone's system is unique to themselves, it really only takes a little time and patience to dial it in to the sweetspot that we individually desire.  While the video reinforces this fact, it's good to know it's out there for people to discover.  Those settings that you showed off in your screenshots, are virtually identical to mine, but our fps, cpu and gpu limits will still vary, and that variance is tied to what we fly, where we fly, and whatever enhance base scenery we use.

Thanks for bringing this subject up though because everyday, we get new members who could use some productive and informative advice. :biggrin:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

On 5/4/2017 at 7:21 PM, Jimm said:

No offense but the ocre methodology really isn't that much different from that of FSX and P3D: trial and error.  Since everyone's system is unique to themselves, it really only takes a little time and patience to dial it in to the sweetspot that we individually desire.  While the video reinforces this fact, it's good to know it's out there for people to discover.  Those settings that you showed off in your screenshots, are virtually identical to mine, but our fps, cpu and gpu limits will still vary, and that variance is tied to what we fly, where we fly, and whatever enhance base scenery we use.

Thanks for bringing this subject up though because everyday, we get new members who could use some productive and informative advice. :biggrin:

Well...of course trial and error is a rigor...but I like the fact that this video highlights the fact that XP11's graphic screen, is left sided GPU/right side CPU.  She shows that you should start with absolutely nothing..and build up. Not too many FSX and P3D's have taken the time to do that, and I haven't seen a video for either, that actually hand-steps you through each setting, and what it does for the GPU/CPU load-in.  I'd say that this was the best set-up video of them all. Since using it, I'm having a fabulous XP11 FPS/visual load-in experience.

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Well...of course trial and error is a rigor...but I like the fact that this video highlights the fact that XP11's graphic screen, is left sided GPU/right side CPU.  She shows that you should start with absolutely nothing..and build up. Not too many FSX and P3D's have taken the time to do that, and I haven't seen a video for either, that actually hand-steps you through each setting, and what it does for the GPU/CPU load-in.  I'd say that this was the best set-up video of them all. Since using it, I'm having a fabulous XP11 FPS/visual load-in experience.

I hate to say it again, but this information isn't exactly new.  Even the whole relationship between the sliders and the processor they work with is something even i touched on in my Tips and Tricks entry, here at AVSIM.  i won't begrudge you of your revelation though.  Some folks get it straight away while others, it takes a little time, but as long as we're all on the same page, then that's a great start. 

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

28 minutes ago, Jimm said:

I hate to say it again, but this information isn't exactly new.  Even the whole relationship between the sliders and the processor they work with is something even i touched on in my Tips and Tricks entry, here at AVSIM.  i won't begrudge you of your revelation though.  Some folks get it straight away while others, it takes a little time, but as long as we're all on the same page, then that's a great start. 

"Jeez, Jimm!"

4 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

"Jeez, Jimm!"

Oh brother, sometimes conversations like this should just never occur.  We can NEVER get the right tone and emotion out of replies without people up in arms.  Sorry man, I WASN'T trying to offend or upset you or anyone else here with the comments.  I really detest using emoticons or whatever their called these days, just because I am never THAT cheerful, but that doesn't mean I'm angry or upset either, so I don't lean towards using the smiley, happy cheerful icons.   I look at a lot of things objectively, especially when it comes to sims, so when I comment, I am pretty much "Vulcan" (excuse the pitiful Star Trek reference)...no real emotion needed, just information, so just take it for what it is.  :biggrin: <--SEE I'M SMILING NOW (as I grit my teeth).

11 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Oh brother, sometimes conversations like this should just never occur.  We can NEVER get the right tone and emotion out of replies without people up in arms.  Sorry man, I WASN'T trying to offend or upset you or anyone else here with the comments.  I really detest using emoticons or whatever their called these days, just because I am never THAT cheerful, but that doesn't mean I'm angry or upset either, so I don't lean towards using the smiley, happy cheerful icons.   I look at a lot of things objectively, especially when it comes to sims, so when I comment, I am pretty much "Vulcan" (excuse the pitiful Star Trek reference)...no real emotion needed, just information, so just take it for what it is.  :biggrin: <--SEE I'M SMILING NOW (as I grit my teeth).

"Er...ok..." :cool:

19 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

"Er...ok..." :cool:

Hate to say it, but this was as Jimm said, pointed out as far back as at least  FSX9, I have always done it this way. And it has been posted more than once on various forums. Again it is well that you have discovered it. I don't remember when I started X-Plane, it was before XP9, and I have done Microsoft Flight Simulator on  a TRS 80 back in the 80's, we loaded  it from tape recorders then. LOL

On 06/05/2017 at 8:06 PM, Jimm said:

I look at a lot of things objectively, especially when it comes to sims, so when I comment, I am pretty much "Vulcan" (excuse the pitiful Star Trek reference)...no real emotion needed, just information, so just take it for what it is.  :biggrin: <--SEE I'M SMILING NOW (as I grit my teeth).

Pitiful!? Hey, steady on Jim! As a lifelong Star Trek aficionado your remark has deeply offended my sensibilities! Watched an episode last night and was feeling nicely Trekked up until I read your post. Now I need to watch another to repair the damage...LOL!

Regards,

Mike👹

6 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Pitiful!? Hey, steady on Jim! As a lifelong Star Trek aficionado your remark has deeply offended my sensibilities! Watched an episode last night and was feeling nicely Trekked up until I read your post. Now I need to watch another to repair the damage...LOL!

Regards,

Mike👹

I too am a deeply rooted Star Trek fan, but more so from an engineering standpoint (since my background is engineering).  If you are interested, this link will show provide proof, as well as insight into another hobby I have: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/jm-miranda.php

50 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Oh, this is sooo cool! :D

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the logo you created for the USS Tempest. Any objections if I use this logo on my personal X-Plane livery? (On a Baron 58; just for my personal use, but maybe some screenshots could appear somewhere).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Wow! I'm seriously impressed, Jim. If the Warp drive ever becomes a reality then they need look no further than the Morvay archives from the 21st century to source construction blueprints for a suitable ship. The complexity of detail is quite extraordinary. I doubt anyone without an engineering background could have accomplished such a feat. Well done!

Mike 👍

2 hours ago, Jimm said:

a deeply rooted Star Trek fan

I perhaps think you've underestimated the meaning of 'deeply rooted'. :biggrin:  Those are really cool drawings you've linked!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks guys.  I tend to keep this hobby (and my talents) on the down low and the only reason those prints are posted where they are is because it was a promise to my friend who runs the site.  When I'm not flying, I'm designing, which tends to turn into a full time job at times.  Anyways, thanks for the kinds words.  There's more to come on that front, but I still try to keep my time divided between that and flight simulation. :cool: