Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Any HAMs here on Avsim?

Just wondering if there are any hams on the board?

I've always felt the two hobbies have much in common

Regards

Mike Six India Tango Juliet;)

No, but I do have 21 years as a telegraphist in the RAAF.  Now long since retired.

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I ask as my main sim computer is down and out for repair, so gonna need to fill my hours with something different for a while. Need to get my antennas much higher of the deck for any serious dx work though.

Keep as ear out for me guys, M6ITJ

10 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

No, but I do have 21 years as a telegraphist in the RAAF.  Now long since retired.

Tony Chilcott

Hi Tony

I was radop for our little squad for a short while, but nothing like you did. Can't say I miss that though. Bloody kit was always either wet or full of red des sand. Sometimes both!

Dougal,

I fear pursuit of this is going to be off topic but......

Most of the things I don't miss are going on bivouac, although once on an exercise in outback Queensand in OZ, I was put in charge of the field library???? and communications was handled by a radio technician.  Neither of us had any experience whatsoever in these trades but it was interesting from several points of view. Most of my time was spent on shiftwork in Communications Centres or remote radio comms establishments.  Strangely after nearly 30 years away from the RAAF I still miss the Service life.

OP though is looking for comms with other hams and I am not equipped for that. I wish him well and a speedy fix for his computer.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

KC9IPZ So yes the two go together nicely.

Daniel Rosso: ATP Single and Multi-Engine: B757 B767 BAE-ATP DA-50 DA-20 CE-650 CE-560-XL CE-525S DO-228: Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Airplane Gold Seal:  Ground Instructor Advanced and Instrument: Remote Pilot SUAS

Ah, an M0. Where u at?

5 hours ago, Dougal said:

Hi Tony

I was radop for our little squad for a short while, but nothing like you did. Can't say I miss that though. Bloody kit was always either wet or full of red des sand. Sometimes both!

Hi Phil

I passed the RAE in '58 - but never bothered to apply for my call letters - simply because I've been using 'Comms' since that exam - much more exciting than Sunday morning chats...spent a few years in the Merchant Navy - twice around the globe - struggling with the 'echo' coming around the globe meeting the original signal when chatting to other ships/stations. Put me off my keying on occasions...

I listen in regularly using my AOR 8600/Icom IC-R8500/AR8200's. I use long wire/airband yagi/Diamond D130M Discone & assorted whips.

Keep my morse speed up to date using various code software on the PC when I get bored...still got my Eddystone 'bug' key (the original hardware key - not this modern electronic rubbish :biggrin:).

So sorry, can't chat, except on the keyboard....

U got withdrawal symptoms ?

I got several PCs, so I'm never 'offline'. It's an addiction, you know. There is no treatment for our 'affliction'.

Regards
Bill

1 hour ago, BillCusick said:

Hi Phil

I passed the RAE in '58 - but never bothered to apply for my call letters - simply because I've been using 'Comms' since that exam - much more exciting than Sunday morning chats...spent a few years in the Merchant Navy - twice around the globe - struggling with the 'echo' coming around the globe meeting the original signal when chatting to other ships/stations. Put me off my keying on occasions...

I listen in regularly using my AOR 8600/Icom IC-R8500/AR8200's. I use long wire/airband yagi/Diamond D130M Discone & assorted whips.

Keep my morse speed up to date using various code software on the PC when I get bored...still got my Eddystone 'bug' key (the original hardware key - not this modern electronic rubbish :biggrin:).

So sorry, can't chat, except on the keyboard....

U got withdrawal symptoms ?

I got several PCs, so I'm never 'offline'. It's an addiction, you know. There is no treatment for our 'affliction'.

Regards
Bill

Oh I hear you Bill. You're talking my language.

There's several laptops kicking around the house, none of which up to running a flightsim of any description. I'm going elbow my graphics card into an older i7 PC we've also got. I'm sure as s.... it won't run FSX or P3D in any useful way, but I'm going to try it with XPLANE later. It just might stop me twitching and jumping while my simming PC gets the kiss of life;)

17 hours ago, Dougal said:

Just wondering if there are any hams on the board? I've always felt the two hobbies  have much in common

Mike Six India Tango Juliet;)

CQ DX CQ DX CQ DX

NOVEMBER FOUR GOLF INDIA XRAY CALLING CQ DX

I've just last month decided to invest in a shiny new Elecraft KX3, PX3 (Panadapter), and a "Deluxe Buddipole" portable antenna so I can (hopefully) get back into HF DX'ing once more.

Here are some quick pics taken yesterday afternoon. This the first time I set up the Buddipole. It is configured as a vertical "L" and tuned for the 20m band. This Elecraft KX3 is a sweet little QRP rig. I may eventually buy the 100 watt linear should I need more power.

73 de N4GIX

9eFepv.jpg

KIflyc.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well I'll be.....  small world eh Bill;-)

21 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Well I'll be.....  small world eh Bill;-)

Yep, it sure is. Although I'm surprised that my "screen name" here wasn't pretty much a dead giveaway to my General hamminess.

When I first moved into this house, I had a new FT-847 rig, and set up a Gap Challenger V vertical. I was so disappointed at the horrifically high noise level that I wound up selling the rig and giving the Gap antenna away.

That's why I've decided to work entirely portable from the city park, the lakeshore, or the nearby National Park, so I'm well away from the QRM. I'm literally surrounded by power lines north, south, east and west... RF Hell!

I hope you are well recovered by now. Once I get my feet wet and find the best way to set up the Buddipole for proper tuning on all bands, maybe we can set up a SKED.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

KF7NUA :biggrin:

kilo Foxtrot Seven November Uniform Alpha

Nick Sciortino