Sign in to follow this  
dc10boy

Windows 7 Driver problem has me grounded.

Hi All, I'm banging my head against the wall with this one and trying to avoid a reformat. Windows 7 64 bit is the OS
This morning my Wife restarted the computer due to a lockup while burning a disk. after the restart the computer came up with the normal ASUS post image, then loading windows appeared . then a black screen.
I was able to get graphics in safe mode. I removed and cleanly reinstalled the Nvidia (GTX970) display drivers. back to black screen on boot. Safe mode again, removed the display drivers. reboot. graphics reappeared.
Every time I install drivers for my GTX970, I get nothing but black screen. any version. The computer functions normally with the standard windows VGA driver, but slower and gaming is out of the question.
Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before? a Google search shows similar faults but I'm unable to resolve. Thanks
Stan

Have you tried to do a complete clean driver uninstall using DDU?. Try it to see if that solves your driver issues, or at least to discard if it is an issue related to video drivers.

Good luck and cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hey Stan,

Use DDU in safe mode if possible then try rebooting the computer and installing the drivers again. Something else to check is the event logs on your computer (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer). There may be some errors or warnings that may shed a little more light on the issue with your drivers.

Mike

Found this on the GeForce forums, not sure if you will need to download the driver referenced below to fix it but I'd follow all the other advice:

Download DDU:

Install

run DDU

Have it reboot in to Safe mode

Run DDU if it does not auto start

Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers

Select: Clean and Restart

Back in Normal Mode, Go here

Use the Show / Hide tool to hide any NVIDIA updates

Download this 359.06 driver http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/359.06/359.06-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

Run DOWNLOAD package

Select: CUSTOM

Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX

Check the CLEAN INSTALL box

Finish install

Reboot

If that doesnt work try moving the video card to another slot and see if it works.  Could also be a failing GPU.

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks guys will try DDU. I used driver sweeper but it had no effect on the problem. My gut tells me Windows is wrecked, and for some reason is not communicating with the Nvidia drivers. Using the standard VGA driver, the graphics function normally.

i had a similar issue with my gtx 1070 in win 10 pro 64 bit. no driver above 368.81 would work.i tried every trick i could find on the internet but of no avail. finally i refreshed(reinstalled through menu) windows and got the latest driver was working again without problems. luckily, refreshing windows only deletes all programs  in the program files (x86) folder and leaves every thing else intact. i had to reinstall fsx steam and all payware aircraft. thankfully the orbx folder within fsx was intact and all scenery restored through orbx central v3. try this if nothing else works.

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

Anytime you have a problem with your OS, I recommending using Windows Repair at http://www.tweaking.com/.  This neat program fixes any issues with Windows and brings it back to your default settings as things get corrupted after a while.  This program is freeware (they have a payware version too) but was developed by Microsoft Windows techs.  It guides you through each step and even simple for anyone, even novices.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the help guys. I tested my graphics card in another machine and found it to be faulty. At least it's still under warranty. I can't figure out why it works under a standard VGA driver in windows but nothing else. I just bought a 960GB SSD  for 259$ just in case so I may either start fresh or clone my current drive after install of the new card..