Sign in to follow this  
cakeisawesome04

FSX SE Tweaking

HI! I have been using FSX SE for awhile now and never really had a problem. I usualy run a solid fps of around 17-25 FPS and was wondering how I could tweak my fsx to be better. My specs are below and I know they are not so good. I know im gonna get told get a better pc but I cant. I am seeking anyone who would like to help in tweaking fsx to be better and basically any advice.

My specs:  

Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz)

Intel® HD Graphics 520

8 GB of RAM    64 bit operating system   

12 hours ago, cakeisawesome04 said:

HI! I have been using FSX SE for awhile now and never really had a problem. I usualy run a solid fps of around 17-25 FPS and was wondering how I could tweak my fsx to be better. My specs are below and I know they are not so good. I know im gonna get told get a better pc but I cant. I am seeking anyone who would like to help in tweaking fsx to be better and basically any advice.

My specs:  

Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz)

Intel® HD Graphics 520

8 GB of RAM    64 bit operating system   

Poor video chipset for FSX and a slow CPU, so your best bet is move the graphics sliders in FSX to the left.  Don't worry about the FPS, tune for smoothness.  Slowly increase the graphics settings until you encounter stutters.  That will tell you exactly what your computer is capable of handling.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

..tweak the OS, get read of all the unnecessary Services running in the background ..... getting a better Rig than you are running right now, well, it's a matter of putting sometime to "Scan" Craigslist, nice system with respectively, decent GPU (GTX580 or even better) shouldn't be more than $180-$200 ... I found  i5 3.4GHZ fully functional Rig in the Garbage Bin ...... added 120SSD installed the OS, & using it for my instruments .....

I was running AMD Phenom II X4 975 with R9-280X GPU, for 7 years 30FPS stable, no Hardware problem  ..move your expectations slider to the left a bit, and you will have a great Sim time, for cheap     :-)

Cheers

Yair        

There are NO tweaks for FSX:SE! All tweaks are related just to FSX Boxed. The SE is already tweaked and you will not get even 1 FPS more by trying all that Voodoo.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Thank you all for the replies I greatly appreciate the pc advice bc I am not sure what parts I should buy for my build I will greatly take in mind your suggestions. I will post anymore questions I have!

Also, check out this link on another forum a made because I really need advice for a pc I want to build (also please read the whole forum because the first post i tweaked a bit by changing my mind in some other ones) thankyou!

21 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

There are NO tweaks for FSX:SE! All tweaks are related just to FSX Boxed. The SE is already tweaked and you will not get even 1 FPS more by trying all that Voodoo.

You are very wrong.

Well then please enlighten me (and all of those who spent hours and hours in testing every single so called tweak, and combination of tweaks, under the same premises). You will even find some devs that have wrote articles / blogs upon the myths of FSX:SE tweaking...

Just stating that someone is wrong (which in fact could be true) does not help anyone reading this topic.

Gerald K. - Germany

7 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Well then please enlighten me (and all of those who spent hours and hours in testing every single so called tweak, and combination of tweaks, under the same premises). You will even find some devs that have wrote articles / blogs upon the myths of FSX:SE tweaking...

Just stating that someone is wrong (which in fact could be true) does not help anyone reading this topic.

Affinity mask is the most important to set. There are others like bufferpools depending on if your computer is less powerful you can use poolsize 0. If you use photoscenery you can adjust lod radius higher. There are still many things you can adjust in the steam edition.

1 hour ago, 777200lrf said:

Affinity mask is the most important to set. There are others like bufferpools depending on if your computer is less powerful you can use poolsize 0. If you use photoscenery you can adjust lod radius higher. There are still many things you can adjust in the steam edition.

Seriosly now...sorry to say but you obviously have no idea. AffinityMask is already hard coded into FSX:SE and also the bufferpools. Test it and come back afterwards...Save your cfg, and let FSX:SE create another one by itself.

Fire FSX:SE up and have a look at your CPU load: On a 4 Core CPU + 4 threads, you will see core 2 doing full load and core 3 and 4 helping out. Core 1 stays clear. So what can you do with affinity mask here buddy? Load your 4 threads? It will not work but only add some stutter since FSX core coding is unable to run on threads (only on physical core as it is already running)...

Bufferpools again is already coded. Depending on your hardware (powerful GPU or CPU) you might seem to get better performance using BP=0 but you will load your 1 core at 20-30% and will gain 2..3 FPS and induce stutter again (because of core 1 beeing loaded). Again if you don't believe me try it yourself and have a look at your CPU load.

I was hoping you will bring the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION up... . Well this one realy "boosts" your FPS but will lower your visuals for that (better FPS=blurry textures and viceversa). FSX:SE is already tuned at 0.33 but if you can live with blurry textures, you can try out other values.

Please do some reading and inform yourself about those variables and most important, try them yourself.

Gerald K. - Germany

6 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Seriosly now...sorry to say but you obviously have no idea. AffinityMask is already hard coded into FSX:SE and also the bufferpools. Test it and come back afterwards...Save your cfg, and let FSX:SE create another one by itself.

Fire FSX:SE up and have a look at your CPU load: On a 4 Core CPU + 4 threads, you will see core 2 doing full load and core 3 and 4 helping out. Core 1 stays clear. So what can you do with affinity mask here buddy? Load your 4 threads? It will not work but only add some stutter since FSX core coding is unable to run on threads (only on physical core as it is already running)...

Bufferpools again is already coded. Depending on your hardware (powerful GPU or CPU) you might seem to get better performance using BP=0 but you will load your 1 core at 20-30% and will gain 2..3 FPS and induce stutter again (because of core 1 beeing loaded). Again if you don't believe me try it yourself and have a look at your CPU load.

I was hoping you will bring the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION up... . Well this one realy "boosts" your FPS but will lower your visuals for that (better FPS=blurry textures and viceversa). FSX:SE is already tuned at 0.33 but if you can live with blurry textures, you can try out other values.

Please do some reading and inform yourself about those variables and most important, try them yourself.

You should take your own advice. The sim does not "hard code" an affinity mask setting for each cpu. And the bufferpools setting does not work for everyone. I don't know why you have come to a flight sim forum just itching to pick a fight or act like an expert. But you are giving out bad advice and should stop.