Sign in to follow this  
Paladin

Photo Scenery ???

Good Morning all from a UK potential user.  I purchased the XP software at the back end of last year when it was a buy 10 get 11 when ready.  I have yet to install 11 as I already have 10 on DVD, but it has seen hardly any usage as it's "different" from my P3D with many "extras".

At 73 and with the onset of "short term memory issues" my simming usually comprises VFR in the Southern part of UK where I can utilise VFR reference points etc.  To my query then, is there any Photoscenery available for XP11 - excluding Horizon - that may be purchased - especially for UK?

I am of the opinion that any effort to teach myself how to create my own would be doomed to failure as I find it difficult to remember what I did yesterday  :(   I have searched and have come up pretty short on detail, so any advice would be very welcome indeed.  Thanks kindly in advance for reading this and any assistance or "steer" which might be offered.  Regards.

Maurice.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

Hi Maurice :)

First of all, it's really really easy to make a photoreal scenery with Ortho4XP. But if you want to avoid tryinf doing it for now, you can get some other photoreals here

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=8

If i am not mistaken, and since you like VFR and "actual" objects on the ground, there should be a scenery using Open street Map data Tony did

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

There is freeware scenery for UK here: http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php (also mentioned in the website linked by france89).

It requires a manual download and installation (instructions here: http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/utilisation_EN.php ), nothing too complicated but if you need help, you can ask questions here.

There's also freeware overlay scenery for UK available here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/34232-gb-pro-v2-detailed-vfr-scenery-for-great-britain/ . It will add 3d buildings, roads and trees on top of the underlying terrain (in your case, on top of the photoscenery you would install).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hello Maurice,

If you don't mingd paying, have a look at RC Simulations / Flight1.UK Scenery, that's what I fly with and I'm not many years behind you!

Phil

Hi Maurice,

One thing you might want to try before getting involved in making your own photoscenery, is just flying over the default scenery in the UK to see if you like it without an orthophoto base level.

X-Plane's default scenery uses landclass tiles as the base, with an overlay of streets, railroads, and buildings generated from Open Street Map data. All the navigational info you need for VFR flying is right there in the default scenery. It looks so good, that not everyone insists on orthophotos to boost the realism.

Personally, I never use orthophotos because I don't like the way the terrain gets blurry at low altitudes, with occasional "squashed building" artifacts that break immersion. I like the finer-grained landclass terrain, especially as a visual reference when landing helicopters away from airports. Over an orthophoto, the terrain is too blurry to judge the last 20 feet of height in a helicopter for a soft landing. 

Anyway, it's just something you might want to try, before getting involved in generating your own orthophoto scenery.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Gentlemen, one and all, I thank each of you most sincerely for your helpful responses, I am most grateful.  I don't post much, but visit here [and elsewhere] several times a day to try and "keep up". Because SWMBO "ordered me out" today, as the weather has been pretty decent, this is only my second visit.  I will endeavour to DL XP11 in the next day or so and try some of the proffered advice.  Again, gents, thanks a bundle.  Best Regards.

Maurice.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

50 minutes ago, captain bligh said:

you may want to consider simhaven where we actively create photoscenery daily for both fsx and xp

TYVM - Have already made a quick visit there and have seen some interesting items which, I am sure, will add to a VFR flight.  I use Horizon V3 - all packs - and am interested in replicating something similar for XP 11.  Regards.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy