Sign in to follow this  
Sas330

P3D has stopped working, because of turning on dome light!

Hello! 

Was doing UAE241 from Dubai to Toronto, and 13 hrs into the flight, I was going to plan for descent. It was dark outside, so I decided to turn on the dome-light in the PMDG 777. When I clicked on the knob, P3D froze and a message saying "P3D has stopped working".

Is this due to memory leak, a bug in the T7 or something else?

Cheers! 

PC: 

Windows 10 64 bit

i7-3770 nonK 3.40 GHz

MSI GTX 1080 X

24 GB Ram

1 TB HHD & 250 GB SSD

P3D v3 w/ latest hotfix

You will need to download AppCrashView or provide an Event Viewer report (see page 7, AVSIM CTD Guide).  Page 10 also provides information on how to fix most CTD's and Freezes.  See link in my signature for the CTD Guide.

Believe you are the first to report a freeze with turning on the dome light.  Is it reproducible?  If not, the error just happened to be triggered when you click on the dome light and it is most likely something else.  If it is reproducible, then I suggest going to PMDG's website, setting up an account on their support site and submitting a trouble ticket.  The PMDG 777 is an add-on and P3D has nothing to do with this add-on.  P3D will function perfectly w/o this add-on installed.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim! Thanks for the reply! Ive been all around the community for help/tips! So far, Ive done some reinstalling, some tweaking and some deleting (cfg, scenery etc.) Im going to take a look at the guide you provided! I bought the full version if FSUIPC4, which has saved me twice since it first happened. It appears to be Kernelbase, and the ntdll.dll-errors, which eventviewer suggested.....

The dome-thing has only happened once, it works again now. Ive done a workaround: to depart and fly most of the route in daylight...... What Ive noticed, is that the sim crashes about 4-5 hours into the flight (stopped working), mainly when I hit land from the Atlantic Ocean (St-Johns for example).

VAS usage is around 70% on high settings.

Cheers! 

Ole 

I believe your VAS usage is normal.  The key is that it is not all used up by the end of the flight.  I have pretty high settings and I rarely see an OOM.  I do get a lot of ntdll.dll, StackHashes, and sometimes the kernelbase.dll error.  Those are all system files.  The application, P3D, just happened to be running when something went wrong with your computer.  If you have a conflict with one of your add-ons or a hardware glitch during the flight, you'll get one of those errors.  The likelihood of getting the error increases when you place more requirements on your system (like more HD textures or HD aircraft or bad weather).  So, high settings work most of the time but not all of the time.  A high overclock of your CPU works most of the time but not all of the time.  Lowering your settings in P3D AND your display driver (there should be no settings set for your display driver as it should be set at the defaults for P3D) will help reduce that likelihood.  I guess P3D can be blamed in part for these types of crashes as it allows add-ons not developed in conformance with the P3D SDK to be installed.  It allows old add-ons developed for products made several years ago or other products to be installed. 

I do recall getting a kernelbase.dll error or ntdll.dll error if any of the modules in the dll.xml are out of date or no longer compatible with the version of P3D I am running.  Sometimes P3D will load okay and sometimes not.  I do some research and find there's a later version of the fsuipc.dll or the Addon Manager for FSDT products or the ObjectFlow_P3D.dll.  Most of those issues are found while loading P3D but I remember a couple of times fsuipc was causing all of my ntdll.dll errors during a flight until I saw it was outdated.  This is partly why I developed a guide in the AVSIM CTD Guide where you can personally investigate what might be causing your crashes.  If there was a specific fix for a kernelbase.dll or ntdll.dll error, you can bet we would be letting you know immediately without all of the comments I have made.  I would love to tell you, "just change the following parameter in your P3D.cfg and go fly".  But that will not happen as there is no known fix that works for everyone.  If there was a specific fix for a crash, I believe the Lockheed techs would be putting out a fix in another update.

Long flights take up a lot of resources too.  It is why I try to keep my flights below 2 hours in length.  Even so, I hate it when I'm on a two hour flight and the sim suddenly crashes near the end of the flight (for me the g3d.dll error).  It means I have high settings somewhere.  As I have stated elsewhere, P3D works great out of the box and with default settings but you throw on an add-on, an AI program, a weather program, and things start going bad.  But man needs a lot of eye-candy.  No fun flying the default stuff.  Means settings are going to have to be lowered at the expense of some bad textures somewhere along the flight.

I hope this somehow helps!

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim! Thanks for the motivating answer! Ive studied the CTD-Guide, and find it very good! Im running a 3.40ghz i7-3770nonK, a MSI GTX 1080 X, 24 GBS RAM, so I should have enough "power" to run on high. Ive so far deleted the cfg, rolled back the driver to 360,74, and tried some other suggestions in the guide. When I run P3D, AS16+ASCA+ENVETX+CHASEPLANE is the only applications running, nothing else. (maybe Chrome on long hauls) What makes this issue strange, is that it occurded more frequently after last NVIDIA driver release. So rolling back to a previous driver will maybe help? That remains to see, as im going to do some long haul testing. 

As I understand, KB and NTDLL is more of a windows-related issue. My PC is 5yrs old, and since then, Ive reset it 3 times. The last time I did it, was because of a corrupt user profile. Im not in the position to take on a such task to restart my PC again, and build up P3D and the rest again, as P3D has never run more good! (SSD) 

I thank you again for answers, and I will try some more in saving my baby! My virtual airliners need me ;)

Cheers!

-Ole 

• Upvote 1