Sign in to follow this  
Sky Prince

[FSX] Lufthansa DLH493 | Boeing 747-400 | Vancouver to Frankfurt

Good afternoon, 

So, I have finally decided to post up a video of the PMDG QOTS II. My admiration for the flight dynamics just will not end. Also, the design, both internal and external are just to die for!

Just a few hours ago I decided to take a closer look outside and noticed effect of the exhaust system in action. Phenomenal!!!

I am very much looking forward for the 747-8i on this one (though we'll be waiting for a while). The bigger the better in my opinion. I love jumbos'!

There is something I would want absolute clarity on, please, even if I have heard it before. The steering tiller, is this somewhat connected to the rudder? Why does my rudder move when taxiing with the tiller? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sky Prince said:

There is something I would want absolute clarity on, please, even if I have heard it before. The steering tiller, is this somewhat connected to the rudder? Why does my rudder move when taxiing with the tiller? 

The simulator doesn't have the ability to simulate the tiller, so they have to tie it into something. That's why it's tied into the rudder. Realistic? Not really, but there's only so much you can do at that point. You certainly don't want to tie it into the ailerons....not that that would make sense since you don't use the ailerons to steer on the ground anyway. Though from a realism standpoint, whilst it is possible to steer with the rudder pedals on the ground, doing that certainly won't give you a very high degree of turn as compared to using the tiller.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

10 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

The simulator doesn't have the ability to simulate the tiller, so they have to tie it into something. That's why it's tied into the rudder. Realistic? Not really, but there's only so much you can do at that point. You certainly don't want to tie it into the ailerons....not that that would make sense since you don't use the ailerons to steer on the ground anyway. Though from a realism standpoint, whilst it is possible to steer with the rudder pedals on the ground, doing that certainly won't give you a very high degree of turn as compared to using the tiller.

Ooohhh! I see! 😮

What lazy buggers to not separate the tiller function from the rudder! Geez! I guess they were not thinking ahead, anticipating people like PMDG in the making.

It has nothing to do with PMDG not thinking ahead.

As Capt Kev has pointed out, R/L steering is via a tiller. It'd be near impossible in a sim, with keyboard and joystick, to do a hardware function of manually turning a tiller to, hence it's locked to the rudder. This has been so since the inception of FS.

1 hour ago, Sky Prince said:

What lazy buggers to not separate the tiller function from the rudder! Geez! I guess they were not thinking ahead, anticipating people like PMDG in the making.

I think most small general aviation aircraft don't have tillers, they get steered via the rudder pedals. Perhaps the simulator designers didn't know it wasn't the case for commercial planes? I don't know. That and what Rick said. I know the freeware Project Opensky, SkySpirit, and TDS planes were set up, so that between 1 and 60 knots, the rudder wouldn't move. You would still steer with the rudder pedals on the ground, but you wouldn't see the rudder move as you were making your turns on the ground.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

It has nothing to do with PMDG not thinking ahead.

As Capt Kev has pointed out, R/L steering is via a tiller. It'd be near impossible in a sim, with keyboard and joystick, to do a hardware function of manually turning a tiller to, hence it's locked to the rudder. This has been so since the inception of FS.

I  wasn't referring to PMDG as the buggers. Lol! I was talking about the creators of FSX.

It could be as seen above, that at the time they were not aware of commercial jets possessing a steering tiller. Or, I don't even know. 

17 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Actually, you can easily configure a tiller only axis.

If you use FSUIPC (registered), and set the axis of your choice to "steering set", then that axis will turn only the tiller! The rudder pedals do not move.

My CH Pedals are configured for Rudder/Brakes. My Thrustmaster T.1600 (twist movement) Z axis, is set to the "steering set".

Works flawlessly with PMDG 737NGX, B777 and B744 :D

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sky Prince said:

I  wasn't referring to PMDG as the buggers. Lol! I was talking about the creators of FSX.

It could be as seen above, that at the time they were not aware of commercial jets possessing a steering tiller. Or, I don't even know. 

My bad! Yes, I can see you were retrospectively referring to the FSX develeopers, but they could not possibly have seen so far ahead that developers like PMDG and others would develop their products to such an extent.

4 hours ago, calzonister said:

If you use FSUIPC (registered), and set the axis of your choice to "steering set", then that axis will turn only the tiller! The rudder pedals do not move.

The problem then is if you DON'T use FSUPIC, you're screwed.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

9 hours ago, calzonister said:

Actually, you can easily configure a tiller only axis.

My CH Pedals are configured for Rudder/Brakes. My Thrustmaster T.1600 (twist movement) Z axis, is set to the "steering set".

Works flawlessly with PMDG 737NGX, B777 and B744 :D

I have currently a registered FSUIPC and setup Z axis for steering tiller only. My rudder axis is assigned separately. Still, when taxiing with the tiller (Z axis) my rudder moves.

I currently fly with an upgrade to my joystick, namely the T.Flight Hotas X. All axis have been assigned to operate independently of each other.

How did you say you assigned the steering tiller again? I didn't understand. 

5 hours ago, Sky Prince said:

I have currently a registered FSUIPC and setup Z axis for steering tiller only. My rudder axis is assigned separately. Still, when taxiing with the tiller (Z axis) my rudder moves.

I currently fly with an upgrade to my joystick, namely the T.Flight Hotas X. All axis have been assigned to operate independently of each other.

How did you say you assigned the steering tiller again? I didn't understand. 

Hi Nigel,

That occurs if you set your axis to "send direct to FSUIPC calibration"

Instead you want to set your Z axis to "send to FS as normal axis" and then select "Steering set" as the function. Enjoy!

xyXB9Yl.jpg

32 minutes ago, calzonister said:

Hi Nigel,

That occurs if you set your axis to "send direct to FSUIPC calibration"

Instead you want to set your Z axis to "send to FS as normal axis" and then select "Steering set" as the function. Enjoy!

xyXB9Yl.jpg

Hi, 

I will try this.

Currently I'm enroute to RCTP from CYVR. I'll get back to you with the result in over 9 hours. 

Thank you very much! 🙂

Oh! I forgot to ask; as steering set, send directly to FS as normal axis, do you have an animated nose gear while taxiing? 

Edited by Sky Prince

2 hours ago, Sky Prince said:

Hi, 

I will try this.

Currently I'm enroute to RCTP from CYVR. I'll get back to you with the result in over 9 hours. 

Thank you very much! 🙂

Oh! I forgot to ask; as steering set, send directly to FS as normal axis, do you have an animated nose gear while taxiing? 

Absolutely!

All animations work as they should. "Steering Set" will show physical movement of the tiller, and will result in physical movement of the nose gear, without any movement of the rudder. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, calzonister said:

Absolutely!

All animations work as they should. "Steering Set" will show physical movement of the tiller, and will result in physical movement of the nose gear, without any movement of the rudder. 

It worked like a charm!!! Thank you!!! I couldn't have asked for anything better right now! This is a lot more realistic.