Sign in to follow this  
knightracing

lat/long for trans atlantic

Just wondering if it is possible to enter Lat/Long coordinates for trans atlantic flight planning? Ex I would enter N53 W20 into the T7 CDU.

Thanks,

p

I cannot speak for the T7 because you don't mention which developer's T7 you are talking about, but typical Lat/Lon naming convention is:

5240N=52N 40W

52N40=52N 140W

5240W=52S 40W

52W40=52S 140W

Same format for East of the prime meridian substituting E for W and S for N

Entries to the left of the = sign are what you enter.  Those to the right of the = sign are what they mean.

Randy

Sorry I wasn't clear. I fly the FF T7 and when entering into the aircraft you input how I mentioned. My question is can you input this into the P2A flight plan. I tried the FF T7 format and it didn't work. Is there a way of writing it so that the P2A flightplan will accept gps coordinates?

I'll try entering it the way you have it in your reply on my next try and see if that works. Currently over Wales on my way to Canada right now ;)

p

The data does include waypoints with names like 5240N and you can enter those like any other waypoint.

The next update will allow you to enter 52N040W and get the same result.  You will also be able to use the FPL Import button to import Trans-Oceanic Flight Plans from the Real World Flight Plans site.

Dave 

28 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

The data does include waypoints with names like 5240N 

The next update will allow you to enter 52N040W and get the same result.  You will also be able to use

Cool, Thanks Dave. I figured it was a syntax issue with me entering the co-ordinates. Loking forward to the next update,

p

Hey, on a slightly related note. It's my understanding that during TransAtlantic flights, because there is no radar coverage that pilots report their position every 10 degrees with something like "<callsign> reporting North53 West20 at 16:47zulu IAS 295 knots Flight Level 370, expect North50 West30 at 17:27zulu". 

I notice that for VFR there is position reporting in the ATC dialogue already. Would possible to add this similar type of reporting for IFR flights or is it already possible and I just haven't found how to do it properly?

p

An additional question on this front since I've been trying to flightplan around the missing VORs in airac 1706. I tried entering the gps coordinates of the missing waypoints with no success. Trans Oceanic waypoints like 5240N do work well over the ocean and I have used them but if I try to enter the coordinates of YQT 4889N I get nothing. 

Is it not possible to enter gps coordinates anywhere in the world? Just over the oceans?

p

Only the Transoceanic coordinate waypoints are in the database, so yes, just over the oceans you will find these type of waypoints.

The only way to "create" a waypoint without it existing in the database is to add a User Defined waypoint on the map. 

Dave