Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

Browsing the Market for a new Add-On

Guest jgreth123

I came across my quarterly bonus at work here and figured I'd treat myself to an add-on or two.Let me first state that I own most add-ons that are popular these days. Such are:Active Sky 6Dreamfleet Baron 58Dreamfleet A36 BonanzaCarenado Cessna 182 SkylaneCarenado Cessna 206 StationairPMDG 737NGPMDG 747-400LDS 767-300I own all the hardware I need:CH Flight YokeCH Throttle QuadrantCH PedalsTrackIR 3 Pro + Vector ExpansionI refuse to use UT because of all the compatability issues with every single scenery add-on that comes out.I don't need Flight Environment because Active Sky takes care of all that, and FE doesn't improve anything over Active Sky IMHO.I don't really like the Super 80 from Flight1, as it's a huge resource hog... the plane takes up more memory and CPU than the PMDG 747 and doesn't have nearly as many calculations to do. I don't use any Wilco products because their Virtual Cockpits are blurry and poorly lit. Their gauges are also not real good when it comes to refresh rates. The Dreamfleet 727 would be great except their Virtual Cockpit is very cartoonish and flat. I don't think too highly of Captain Sim products... have had way too many issues with their products.All of that being said, I went ahead and bought the Eaglesoft Cirrus SR-22.I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed. If there are any negatives about this plane, they are: rain effects cause huge orange textures to take over my entire screen ( which CAN be disabled, so this can be overlooked ) and it's a pretty big resource hog, but at an acceptable level -- very advanced avionics.The positives: - Great external model- Realistic sound pack- Flight Dynamics are mostly dead-on accurate ( though in real-world I feel the control authority is a bit more dominant while in a slip -- meaning the plane can slip more in real-world than what the sim allows ).- Fully clickable Virtual Cockpit.- Virtual Cockpit lighting is adequate, a huge downfall for many products- Virtual Cockpit clarity is definately there. I can read everything without a problem.- Advanced avioncs - This is probably where they shine the most. Without going into too much detail, I will just say to check their webpage for more info on the avionics, but something they didn't mention was that the checklists they boast about are actually inside the multifunction display and you can check each item as you go down the list... it's quite easy to use. Oh and for the VC-buffs like myself, the gauges refresh nicely. Not RealAir-smooth, but smooth enough. Anyone who's read any of my comments before knows I'm pretty picky about VC's.Anyhow, I could go on more, but I have work to do! I highly recommend this plane though, very, very well done.

Guest jgreth123

UT isn't as accurate in the long run when it comes to details. Kinda like MSFS default scenery, covers the globe but not very accurate.UT covers one country, a bit more accurate but not as accurate as say Holger Sandmann's stuff, or others of his caliber.I install a lot of scenery packages and UT is always the killer for each one, just not worth the headache to me.

Guest jgreth123

Ah screw it, maybe I will buy UT when I get home.If I really loathe it, I can always uninstall it and get a refund. The really beautiful thing about Flight1 wrapper.

I'm with you Jeff, that is why both UTs are ininstalled on my rig. I feel it is mostly for those that fly heavies and land at major airports which really are not effected by it. Nearly all the bush sceneries I use have issues with UT, so I stick with default and Holgers refinments until FSX.Pity as it is a nice product, but detailed scenery is more important to me that correct shorelines.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest jerrycwo4

I also have UT installed and noticed that I have a lot of "runway flashes" in the new file, "Boston 2". Now I'm wondering if the UT could be the reason?

Aeroworx Kingair 200. It'll put you and all your CH throttole levers to work. It's the best turbo prop in the market. Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest jgreth123

I settled on the Flight1 ATR. Flight1's refund policy makes it affordable to test products out.I definately don't mind shelling out money for products that I like. I do, however, mind shelling out money on products that get uninstalled after 1 flight. The reviews and sample screenshots never reflect how good a product really is. Videos help tremendously though... which is probably why I make so many movies, to help show products as they would be in the sim, and not just taking screenshots of products that bring your FPS down to 5 ( screenshots don't show FPS :( ).Anyhow... I may check out the Kingair ( version 2, not the first ), I've heard numerous good things about it.

"Anyhow... I may check out the Kingair ( version 2, not the first ), I've heard numerous good things about it."you don't have it yet?!?!!?!go ahead, just throw out your CH quadrant now if you're never gonna use it!!! ;-)

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Jeff, thanks for the kind words on our Cirrus SR22 G2:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest jgreth123

My pleasure Ron.I am generally pretty harsh on judging add-ons these days... as the standard just keeps rising.If you could make any improvements it would be to allow for maybe DXT3 cockpit textures instead of 32-bit. I'm not a graphics guru, but I can definately feel the texture-load lag when I switch views ( albeit not very often, but I do it from time to time ). This also has a big impact on surrounding scenery.A real nice bird though. Small enough for the tight fields to get into, but definately not a slow bird, it'll get up to 160'ish - 170'ish area without a problem if you let it.And the one comment about the slip... which really only one person has mastered -- Rob from RealAir Simulations. As for the 'wasting my CH throttle' comment.. heh, read the list of planes I have up top. Hardly wasting it ;) I have it setup for 4-engine control, spoiler lever, and flap lever. I fly my Level-D most of the time but do my PMDG 744 from time to time, so that's why I have the 4 engines. I keep my mixture and conditioning levers on the top of my CH Yoke, as I never need to kill the mixture for a single engine.

"As for the 'wasting my CH throttle' comment.. heh, read the list of planes I have up top. Hardly wasting it ;) I have it setup for 4-engine control, spoiler lever, and flap lever. I fly my Level-D most of the time but do my PMDG 744 from time to time, so that's why I have the 4 engines. I keep my mixture and conditioning levers on the top of my CH Yoke, as I never need to kill the mixture for a single engine.":-eek Phew! Pretty sexy sounding...wait, I saw a pic awhile back in the screen forum where someone modded the unit to a 4 engine boeing style look with a flap and a spoiler lever....was that you?? Man, if it was...sheesh, build me one! :-)I just got my CH pedals yesterday after having the yoke for awhile, now it's much more fun! Definitly better than using my mixture lever for the rudders :-)

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Guest jgreth123

Heh, naw, wasn't me, I like to keep my manufacturer's warranty :)

Hi Jeff,Loved your BAC 1-11 video into Franfurt!Easy one this..........................The SSTsim Concorde. All clickable too in the 'VC' view and the experience is awesome especially with 'TrackIR' but, be warned, this is a very immersive aircraft and one that requires a lot of time spent on getting the best from it.Navigation is by the 'INS' system. The FDE is spot on.As I said, very good and extremely rewarding too. Even I have it;-)Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest jgreth123

>Hi Jeff,>>Loved your BAC 1-11 video into Franfurt!>>>Easy one this..........................>>The SSTsim Concorde. All clickable too in the 'VC' view and>the experience is awesome especially with 'TrackIR' but, be>warned, this is a very immersive aircraft and one that>requires a lot of time spent on getting the best from it.>Navigation is by the 'INS' system. >>The FDE is spot on.>>As I said, very good and extremely rewarding too. Even I have>it;-)>>Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim>User's Group' member at>http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/Can you use the INS from the Virtual Cockpit or do you have to bring up 2-D windows? In the Ready for Pushback the CIVA INS was 2-D only.