Sign in to follow this  
iflygary

Texture Anamolies

Don't own the 310 and can't comment about the screw, but regarding the shininess... That's characteristic of all recent Carenado and Alabeo models.  They have been making heavy use of "fresnel ramps", an advanced modelling technique.  The "ramp" specifies how shiny a surface appears relative to the viewing angle (i.e. facing perpendicular to the surface vs. off-angle).  It gives some realistic effects, but their particular technique has some tradeoffs, like the too-bright glare on the wing.

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

I think one of the things those Fresnal Ramps may improve is how the model is lit in P3D... I use the PTA mods and one characteristic that's not well liked - is the transition from light to dark as you pan around the model from the dark side to the light side - there is a very harsh and sudden change as the model switches from dark to light - like throwing a light switch... I've recently been looking at a couple of the latest Caralebeo models - and the transitions seem smooth and the switch from dark to light is nowhere near as harsh... I'd like to see that feature - if I understand it correctly - incorporated into more models... I did notice they seem to have many Fresnal textures as opposed to the normal one...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the explanations.  Part of the reason I'm probably really noticing is that I've just gone back to FSX from P3D cause of the nagging stutters that I just couldn't seem to get rid of.  Now that FSX with DX10 has cloud shadows, I'm flying strictly FSX now.