Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[20JUL17] Update thread for XPL users

Considering their unenthusiastic stance on FSW at the moment, I think their stance has changed just a tad. They had no idea how P3D would flesh out considering RSR said that P3D had a very small fan base at the time. I think PMDG realized the potential that P3D has and the void it filled while they were waiting for DTG sim.

1 hour ago, DeltaWho said:

Pause at the beginning few seconds and look at the bottom of Randazzos post.

In the context of that discussion (people asserting that we should make a sim, IIRC), the reference was to the development company, and not necessarily a specific platform. Do not forget that FSX:SE is a DTG platform.

Kyle Rodgers

I started my flight sim hobby back in the commodore days with sublogic's Flight simulator, and when I really got into the hobby was with X-Plane 9 and then 10, and 11. I tried very hard to like X-Plane, the only thing that really amazed me to it was the night lighting, but other than that, I always came back to FSX and now Prepar3D v4. The main thing I look for in a flight sim is the aircraft in which I will be flying, that is my #1 priority. X-Plane simply doesn't have the same quality here when compared to P3D. Since I fly mostly tubeliners, which is why I am back to P3D. Because of PMDG and other aircraft developers such as Aerosoft, FSLabs, QualityWings, A2A, Realair, etc. The aircrafts on XP side, just feels very lacking and doesn't feel complete. Yes XP may have nice scenery and lighting, but all that stuff comes after. It's the planes that make me stick to a particular simming platform. I currently have both. But this hobby is expensive as it is. I can't afford to purchase add-ons for both, so I have to pick one and that comes down to P3D for the above reasons. 

Now when and if PMDG decides to make planes for XP, I may consider switching. But it would have to take a whole lot more than that. XP is just lacking in many areas to me in term of 3rd party developer addons and support. Developers such as FF and JAR, just aren't on the same level and their aircrafts are simply disappointing to me. Little things such as having sloppy setup menus pop up from the side of the screen which you can't get rid of. Just ruins the immersion and experience for me. With that being said, it's good to be back to P3D again where everything feels right and looks amazing.

• Upvote 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

In the context of that discussion (people asserting that we should make a sim, IIRC), the reference was to the development company, and not necessarily a specific platform. Do not forget that FSX:SE is a DTG platform.

Apologies :), I should have also linked the source 

2 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Apologies :), I should have also linked the source 

All good. I appreciate you coming back to post the vid.

Kyle Rodgers

10 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

All good. I appreciate you coming back to post the vid.

It was another member who posted the video Robert though I would have done so had he not beat me to it :) 

Regards

2 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

It was another member who posted the video Robert though I would have done so had he not beat me to it :) 

Regards

Gah! Yeah, I was definitely distracted yesterday. In my defense, both of your user names start with 'D'! I get credit for that...right?

...right?!? :tongue:

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Gah! Yeah, I was definitely distracted yesterday. In my defense, both of your user names start with 'D'! I get credit for that...right?

...right?!? :tongue:

And I MUST be distracted today! lord knows how though. Strangely, you have become Robert today dude lol, apologies once again, your name is Kyle :laugh: lol 

12 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

And I MUST be distracted today! lord knows how though. Strangely, you have become Robert today dude lol, apologies once again, your name is Kyle :laugh: lol 

hahaha...wow. I read right over that, assuming it was a reference to RSR in the video itself. Man, we're both on the struggle bus.

If anything, it's usually Ryan and myself that get confused for each other - four letters, both use the letter 'y' in them.

Kyle Rodgers

5 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

hahaha...wow. I read right over that, assuming it was a reference to RSR in the video itself. Man, we're both on the struggle bus.

If anything, it's usually Ryan and myself that get confused for each other - four letters, both use the letter 'y' in them.

Haha! ....Believe me it doesn't take much to confuse me lmao.... uugghh..

Thanks "KYLE", fingers crossed tomorrow brings us both a fresh head! 

14 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Haha! ....Believe me it doesn't take much to confuse me lmao.... uugghh..

Thanks "KYLE", fingers crossed tomorrow brings us both a fresh head! 

I didn't really sleep at all last night. Prepare for more of the same. <venti_coffee.jpg>

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

On 8/1/2017 at 8:45 PM, Milton Waddams said:

...Yes, the XP market is growing, but the P3D v4 market is growing faster with a huge lead over XP in terms of fan base (paraphrasing from ORBX). There's definitely a reason the ESP platforms took off while XP didn't. Wasn't the original XP around when FS98 or FS2000 was? If XP is such a great market with a "brilliant future" then why haven't hordes of devs flocked to it like a mass migration, leaving P3D for dead? 

I do a fair amount of broadcasting my X-Plane flights on Twitch, and a common theme I see in my chat and other streams are comments such as "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my PMDG xxxx aircraft", "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my Aerosoft xxxx aircraft", "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my Orbix xxxx scenery", "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my Active Sky weather/clouds", and lastly yet still a significant factor, "I'd love to explore X-Plane more, but I continue to fly P3D/FSX because I've spent a TON of money on all my addons".  Interestingly, the majority of the comments that praise P3D/FSX aren't really praising the platform, they are praising the addons.

I suspect, based on my anecdotal observations, that if all of these developers made their addons for X-Plane, we would see larger hordes of pilots flock over to X-Plane. "If you build it, they will come." However, I would imagine it is a challenging endeavor for devs to take since it uses significant resources to create a addon that fully exploits the capability of the X-Plane platform, so they sit in the safety of where the money is coming in from. And who can blame them? Another suspicion I have is that if X-Plane is limiting something a developer wants to be able to do, Austin may not have been as flexible as he should be? Of course I have no proof of this, but observations over the years has me thinking this.

Anyway, I do wish that PMDG would make a 744 for X-Plane, since the current 747 selection on that platform sucks.  What a shame as it is such an iconic aircraft that many of us dreamed of flying since childhood. However, I refuse to buy P3D in order to fly the PMDG 744. Nothing against P3D so much, I just don't want to contribute to the marketing evidence suggesting PMDG not develop one for X-Plane.  In the meantime I'll just continue to fly other amazing aircraft like the IXEG 733, FlyJSim 732, Rotate MD-88, and the Bonanza F33a and Baron B58 w/ Simcoders REPs.

• Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Torbinator said:

I do a fair amount of broadcasting my X-Plane flights on Twitch, and a common theme I see in my chat and other streams are comments such as "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my PMDG xxxx aircraft", "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my Aerosoft xxxx aircraft", "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my Orbix xxxx scenery", "I fly P3D/FSX because I love my Active Sky weather/clouds", and lastly yet still a significant factor, "I'd love to explore X-Plane more, but I continue to fly P3D/FSX because I've spent a TON of money on all my addons".  Interestingly, the majority of the comments that praise P3D/FSX aren't really praising the platform, they are praising the addons.

I suspect, based on my anecdotal observations, that if all of these developers made their addons for X-Plane, we would see larger hordes of pilots flock over to X-Plane. "If you build it, they will come." However, I would imagine it is a challenging endeavor for devs to take since it uses significant resources to create a addon that fully exploits the capability of the X-Plane platform, so they sit in the safety of where the money is coming in from. And who can blame them? Another suspicion I have is that if X-Plane is limiting something a developer wants to be able to do, Austin may not have been as flexible as he should be? Of course I have no proof of this, but observations over the years has me thinking this.

Anyway, I do wish that PMDG would make a 744 for X-Plane, since the current 747 selection on that platform sucks.  What a shame as it is such an iconic aircraft that many of us dreamed of flying since childhood. However, I refuse to buy P3D in order to fly the PMDG 744. Nothing against P3D so much, I just don't want to contribute to the marketing evidence suggesting PMDG not develop one for X-Plane.  In the meantime I'll just continue to fly other amazing aircraft like the IXEG 733, FlyJSim 732, Rotate MD-88, and the Bonanza F33a and Baron B58 w/ Simcoders REPs.

The main problem is the lack of a fan base on the part of XP. Once the fans come, then the devs will come but it has to happen in that order. Most fans won't come until the devs come and it's a never ending loop.

22 hours ago, Torbinator said:

Interestingly, the majority of the comments that praise P3D/FSX aren't really praising the platform, they are praising the addons.

You do realize, that when users/people are praising the addons of P3D, they're actually also praising the platform for being so flexible and forthcoming towards 3rd party developers, right?

Something I have a suspicion, that X-Plane really lacks. Personally I think Umberto from FSDT hit the nail on the had, with this quote:

We don't have anything against X-Plane as such. But the problem is: it has been years they promised a better SDK, for example by supplying an official exporter for 3DS Max. This was announced when X-Plane 11 was in Beta to be released after the final release. This, alone would be a mistake, because you should release the SDK *BEFORE* the product gets released to the public. We had the P3DV4 SDK in our hands about 6 months before the product was even announced...that's how you do it.

Right now, the only option to export from 3DS Max to X-Plane 11, it's just an unofficial plugin made by some users, with 2 pages of docs. The rest of the SDK documentation is scattered through a number of unofficial websites, blogs posts and forum posts. 

Now, compare this, with the almost 4000 pages of the P3D SDK, all in the same place, always updated for each minor build, and professionally supported.

Be sure that, if X-Plane devs will come out with a proper SDK, starting with an exporter for 3DS Max made AND supported by the X-Plane devs, we'll surely have a serious look at it. And with "supported", I mean with a full documentation, an official developers forum not accessible to the public, were we could post questions, reports bugs, and get real feedback about it.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471