Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[20JUL17] Update thread for XPL users

9 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

The main problem is the lack of a fan base on the part of XP. Once the fans come, then the devs will come but it has to happen in that order. Most fans won't come until the devs come and it's a never ending loop.

Well, if the devs had some sort of concrete data that was in agreement with my observations, maybe they'd be willing to take a chance. I think if devs offered a discount to those who already own their products based on reasonable criteria, that would sweeten the deal.  Also, a poll to current X-Plane users asking if they'd buy their product if they made it.  While the user base is currently lower, the percentage of that user base willing to buy a high quality airliner addon is likely high?  But, I guess time will tell.

I changed from P3D to X-Plane and stay there now. I bought the IXEG 737 Classic.

I'm very impressed with the plane and I have to say X-Plane has a lot of potential.

I would have liked to have a 737 NG of PMDG as a DC6, but the hope never dies.

I also think that would be even more people would switch to X-Plane, if there would be a 737 NG of PMDG.

From Flight Sim World I do not think anything, but everyone has to decide for themselves.

This is my opinion.

Let's see where the future goes

I find it funny that people say that the fans will come when PMDG comes to use that as an argument for why PMDG should port their products to XP. PMDG isn't a charity, they can't afford to do all that work on the promise that the fans will come after they make products for it. I'd imagine when XP's fan base grows enough to be sustainable, then we'll see PMDG making products for XP. Until then, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

I find it funny that people say that the fans will come when PMDG comes to use that as an argument for why PMDG should port their products to XP. PMDG isn't a charity, they can't afford to do all that work on the promise that the fans will come after they make products for it. I'd imagine when XP's fan base grows enough to be sustainable, then we'll see PMDG making products for XP. Until then, we'll just have to wait and see.

Correct! It doesn't work the other way around.
I'm actually amazing, that some people really think that?!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I am not sure that the size of the X-Plane market is the sole reason for PMDG holding back. The market hasn't suddenly collapsed since they took the decision to spend time and money launching the DC-6 project, the objective of which was to learn about the X-Plane platform and develop their own code base to support complex airliners in future. In fact, quite the opposite, with X-Plane 11 launching, the platform has improved a lot and has the confidence of other developers like Hi-Fi and Milviz.

I think the DC-6 experiment has probably brought up a few problems with the X-Plane platform, and since Laminar have been busy developing X-Plane 11, maybe not so much attention has been paid to 3rd party developers' needs. As X-Plane 11 settles down I hope that changes.

Oh and - quite unrelated topic - I recommend getting Zibo's freeware mod for the default XP11 737. There is also a free FMOD sound pack which sounds pretty amazing, and a freeware terrain display plugin which integrates seamlessly. It isn't "NGX quality", but the 3 mods together make a solid aircraft that is easily good enough for flying online. Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to have a go at the NGX tutorial flight into LOWI to see how well it handles a challenging approach.

• Upvote 3

Alistair Brown

0.png

Just to be sure, pmdg is not working or will not work on any plane for x plane 11 anytime soon and they are not interested in x plane right?

i'm also wondering something, a while ago they've said x plane 10 platform is not capable for their complicated planes, does this include x plane 11 or things have changed since 11?

3 hours ago, ArborVitae said:

they've said x plane 10 platform is not capable for their complicated planes,

I think that is not quite the meaning intended by PMDG.  You have that reference?  I recall the basic problem was that although they could create a complex aircraft in either XPL or P3D, there was not enough commonality between them to allow doing so without extensive development work.  I think the conclusion was that the XPL market is too small to support the costs of such development.  I do not speak for PMDG, but I'm pretty sure they never said they didn't have the technical expertise to develop for that platform.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

I think that is not quite the meaning intended by PMDG.  You have that reference?  I recall the basic problem was that although they could create a complex aircraft in either XPL or P3D, there was not enough commonality between them to allow doing so without extensive development work.  I think the conclusion was that the XPL market is too small to support the costs of such development.  I do not speak for PMDG, but I'm pretty sure they never said they didn't have the technical expertise to develop for that platform.

Here it is, but this statement was given before xplane 11, dunno if anything changed

1 hour ago, ArborVitae said:

Here it is, but this statement was given before xplane 11, dunno if anything changed

Ah, there it is.  Thanks uh.... no name. Be sure to share that name in PMDG forums.

Dan Downs KCRP

16 hours ago, downscc said:

Ah, there it is.  Thanks uh.... no name. Be sure to share that name in PMDG forums.

It's definitely there. He might've added it, but my bet is mobile browser, perhaps?

Kyle Rodgers

25 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

It's definitely there. He might've added it, but my bet is mobile browser, perhaps?

I've added it later because i use mobile browser as you said, what about any answers to my questions? Are there any products wip or x plane platform is on completely hold? And is x plane 11 a better platform for your products or is it still not capable to hold your aircrafts like x plane 10?

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 9:12 AM, ArborVitae said:

I've added it later because i use mobile browser as you said, what about any answers to my questions? Are there any products wip or x plane platform is on completely hold? And is x plane 11 a better platform for your products or is it still not capable to hold your aircrafts like x plane 10?

We won't know until they announce something. Until then, it's just speculation.

45 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

We won't know until they announce something. Until then, it's just speculation.

I'm aware of that and that's why i'm asking "them" are there any wip project going on or x plane is completely on hold? And is x plane 11 platform capable for their aircrafts? Since if they think x plane 11 is not capable then there is no need to derp around about x plane in this forum for a few more years

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ArborVitae said:

I'm aware of that and that's why i'm asking "them" are there any wip project going on or x plane is completely on hold? And is x plane 11 platform capable for their aircrafts? Since if they think x plane 11 is not capable then there is no need to derp around about x plane in this forum for a few more years

The x-plane platform is capable, however it's more like dipping your toes into lukewarm water. PMDG would need to tackle a slightly different approach around x-plane such as lack of 3DS exporter documentation, lack of vertex animation, different coding language, different lighting environment. There are products to prove it can be done and more.

[Speculation] I think PMDG may be assessing all the sims, and will try and target an aircraft which...

a) they know will sell [Like a 737 Max]

b) is not present on any platform yet

c) is proven capable on both platforms

Like I've said in previous posts, x-plane is still a smaller portion of the market (albeit growing fairly well) and the future for now will probably be multi-platform releases for all developers.

Well i’m not a developer or know anything about coding but i’d like to ask when x-plane includes vulkan and a new sdk on the way, does it change your perspective againts x plane?