Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[07MAY17] The sorts of behaviors that cause me concern...

3 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

It sounds like it's split between steam and dovetail.

Rjght, a greedy, gouging opportunistic split.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Personally, I really like Steam. It's so easy and convenient.  All my Pc games are there and tied to me. I don't have loads of CDs laying around nor do I have to drive to a store to buy a PC game. It's all there, the store, the library and the discussions.

I don't think the real problem is with steam, IMO, the problem is with dovetail. There's no reason they need to be taking a cut of revenue from add on developers.

Steam I think, is in their right to ask for a cut of the revenue because they are providing a store front.

If dovetail would stop being so arrogant and let developers sell their own products at there own stores, then that would be a lot better....obviously.

It sounds like dovetail is trying to recoup the cost its having to.pay to steam by requiring a cut from developers.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

3 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Rjght, a greedy, gouging opportunistic split.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't see any problems with steam requiring a cut from anyone who uses their platform. They allowed to make money too.

My issue lies with dovetail requiring a cut from developers.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Anything keeping Rob up at night just got put into my purchase basket. 

Thank you for your thoughts Mr. Randazzo. I would like to hear more from you on this topic. I felt ok when I posted my podcast the other day after talking to Dovetail. Feeling that devs could appear to play along by having their  products in The Steam Store while putting their real marketing efforts on their own sites thus ensuring that they get as much from their products sold off their own site as possible.But, if that isn't the case then we do indeed have a huge problem on our hands!

I too, despise the pay to beta  test model. But, again, my feeling was that with everyone who got Flight School being able to get FS World for free that this would be very close to a free program. Of, course you bring up very good points. And, as well all know, selling a sim is like selling a game console. You don't make your money off the sim. You make your money off of  charging devs for the right to develop for your platform.

After reading your thoughts on your subject I am going to have to rethink this whole thing and what it means for the flight sim industry. From the sound of things Dovetail may have killed their own product. Because, it won't sell if PMDG and Aerosoft don't develop for it.    

9 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

"In order to market as an official FSW add-on, you will be able to sell your add-ons on your own store as long as it is made available on the Dovetail channels as well."

Am I the only person to have read this? Where is all the blind ignorance and flaming pitch forks coming from?

Oh I forgot, it's a flight simulator forum, a place of illogical reasoning and people passionately jumping to conclusions without checking any facts. So much anger based on misinformation and a failure to read and understand!

So many people spouting their agenda like it is based on truths and only one sim can 'win'.

I just wanted to point out that this is no different to how things are now with add ons being available inside and outside of steam on xplane and fsx with the exception that you will have to sell on steam as well as your own shop.

Robert was expressing an opinion and stating that he hopes things don't go down the route of only selling through steam, which, I agree would be bad.

Nobody knows the outcome yet, not even Robert and probably not even DTG.

I've already seen the result of this thread starting to poison other forums with users stating things like they are true because they read it here.

Chris

• Upvote 6

Thanks for the long post about the subject. That is unfortunate as FSW looks promising, but that is completely unacceptable that they would want a 65% cut when all they did was put it up on their store, and you guys did all the work! Would think they would know by now that without the support of the developer community, and the community at large any FS platform isn't going to go very far. MS Flight and Flight School are evidence enough of that.

45 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

So, you speak for the whole community or something? Ok...good to know. 

XP has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

YOU want to inject it then you can expect pushback, sir.

XP is not an answer for PMDG fliers that want an airline environment.

And I speak for myself only.

Carry on.

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, katice said:

Your delusion that P3D, FSX or X-Plane are somehow not games, and that you are somewhat "above" it is completely clouding the facts. 

Oh, you're one those people I see.

Well, the aforementioned are SIMULATIONS.

Carry on (if you must).

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

Robert, I find this interesting, considering that for their TrainSimWorld, the consumer can purchase add-on content for it, outside of the Steam ecosystem (for example JustTrains), install it (with DRM as well) and run it within the game on Steam.  Armstrong Powerhouse is another e-tailer that creates add-on content in the same fashion.

So now this begs the question as to why they would push PMDG to be a part of their channel, when in fact you could go on selling your products for their sim and still have the installers function as normal?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

19 minutes ago, captain bligh said:

If I were you I would put my nose to the ground and concentrate on porting you excellent existing fleet over to XP11, because that IMHO is the future

Advise of debatable merit IMHO.

XP does a horrible job of simulating a commercial airline environment, even with add-ons.  And I have seen no indication that Austin aims to alter this.

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Advise of debatable merit IMHO.

XP does a horrible job of simulating a commercial airline environment, even with add-ons.  And I have seen no indication that Austin aims to alter this.

Before the infighting gets too out of hand, let's concentrate on the issue at hand here.  I have high respect for PMDG and have purchased and used a few of their products over the years.  While there isn't any hard, conclusive proof of any active future development for sims outside of P3D (and FSX if it is still relevant) right now, DTG's recent announcement of a new sim is worthy of a look at, but if their business practice impacts the revenue stream of PMDG, it is of great concern to PMDG and their branching out into other sim markets.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

1 hour ago, r_stopnicki said:

So, just keep doing what you are doing, it appears to be working. Take your family out for a Sunday dinner and tomorrow, Monday, get back to work on the DC-6, the B747-8 and whatever else you have up your sleeve.

Thousands are waiting for them.

++1

24 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Which addons do you speak of ? There are none. There are some attempts to create some for XP, but it's always just one guy working on those in their free time. Of course they are not the same complexity and quality as in FSX. And they never will be until XP gets out of this never ending circle of "not enough users, therefore not enough developers, therefore not enough users". None of this is a fault of the platform itself which is excellent. As for airliners there are currently only two which are worth mentioning those are the FF757&767 - both of which are very well made. But that's why people wish more devs would come to XP to break this circle and get it off the ground finally. Anyway, that's enough OT from my side.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tutmeister said:

Am I the only person to have read this? Where is all the blind ignorance and flaming pitch forks coming from?

Oh I forgot, it's a flight simulator forum, a place of illogical reasoning and people passionately jumping to conclusions without checking any facts. So much anger based on misinformation and a failure to read and understand!

So many people spouting their agenda like it is based on truths and only one sim can 'win'.

I just wanted to point out that this is no different to how things are now with add ons being available inside and outside of steam on xplane and fsx with the exception that you will have to sell on steam as well as your own shop.

Robert was expressing an opinion and stating that he hopes things don't go down the route of only selling through steam, which, I agree would be bad.

Nobody knows the outcome yet, not even Robert and probably not even DTG.

I've already seen the result of this thread starting to poison other forums with users stating things like they are true because they read it here.

Chris

I agree the anger is getting a little out of hand. Robert stated that they do not know for certain what the situation will be and my own comments were about the concerns expressed by developers over the current state of affairs with FSX SE being carried over to FSW. Concerns are not certainties and don't warrant the angered tone I see from some both here and in the FSW forums.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion