Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Way too many boats and ships upon water-ways...

I think they are being generated by W2XP, but not sure.  Anyway, does anybody know what file is generating them all...and can you reduce the amount of boats spawned, or can I just delete them out of the picture...

Help, most appreciated.  Too may upon the waterways for R.L. marine traffic, recreational, or otherwise.

The boats I'm talking about are stationary three masted schooners, sail boats, and motorboats.  

Help...blub, blub...I'm drowning in boats...

Seriously, if anybody knows which files are being driven to spawn all the marine traffic, I'd would like to identify them, and their location.

Help..........

I'd just like to correct people here and say it doesn't came from W2XP directly, but rather whoever decided to create a W2XP config file and distribute scenery which adds boats along waterways and piers in OSM. W2XP alone does not do this, and it is up to whoever is making W2XP scenery and which config file they create. I'm a little tired of receiving emails from people about W2XP issues, when it's the author who distributed the scenery who created the scenery. W2XP is a tool I made to create scenery and not the scenery itself (It's like blaming WED for a bad looking airport). Sorry for the moan :biggrin:

As Mario says, my guess is it's the Simheaven US W2XP scenery which recently added boats along ferry routes.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

I'd just like to correct people here and say it doesn't came from W2XP directly, but rather whoever decided to create a W2XP config file and distribute scenery which adds boats along waterways and piers in OSM. W2XP alone does not do this, and it is up to whoever is making W2XP scenery and which config file they create. I'm a little tired of receiving emails from people about W2XP issues, when it's the author who distributed the scenery who created the scenery. W2XP is a tool I made to create scenery and not the scenery itself (It's like blaming WED for a bad looking airport). Sorry for the moan :biggrin:

As Mario says, my guess is it's the Simheaven US W2XP scenery which recently added boats along ferry routes.

Thanks Tony, so I will have to dog the file(s) down to see what needs deleting, or at least, a way to reduce them.  My bays and inlets are nuts with them...!

Post Edit: Well, I looked in Simheaven's W2XP America, as well as the WORLD Library, and can not find any file that references boats or ships.  Very frustrating.

Lucky you, I have no boats displayed at all anywhere!

@Sesquashtoo

My guess is it is using the boats from OpenSceneryX (opensceneryx/objects/vehicles/boats_ships/). You could hide them using a library replacement, but the issue will be that it will permanently remove all boats from all other scenery, which is probably what you don't want. 

Reducing settings in the sim will probably remove some of them, but will also remove buildings. Since the scenery has been produced like that, the only way to 100% fix it is to either remove the W2XP scenery or make it yourself without the boats.

Also, maybe this W2XP scenery is better: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/114917-us-west-real-life/, it looks more American than the Simheaven package, but I'm not sure whether the author included boats or not.

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

@Sesquashtoo

My guess is it is using the boats from OpenSceneryX (opensceneryx/objects/vehicles/boats_ships/). You could hide them using a library replacement, but the issue will be that it will permanently remove all boats from all other scenery, which is probably what you don't want. 

Reducing settings in the sim will probably remove some of them, but will also remove buildings. Since the scenery has been produced like that, the only way to 100% fix it is to either remove the W2XP scenery or make it yourself without the boats.

Also, maybe this W2XP scenery is better: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/114917-us-west-real-life/, it looks more American than the Simheaven package, but I'm not sure whether the author included boats or not.

Thanks Tony...will check it out. :)

I have removed the Boats folder from the Vehicles Folder to the Desktop.  Will see if that removed the boats. I am presently generating Ortho...so can't check it out as I type. Will do so, and report back to you. Thank you again for the lead.  I would like some sail boats here and there...but it is a full thick swamp of them, 50 yards apart...looking so incredibly goofy and non-real life.

4 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I have removed the Boats folder from the Vehicles Folder to the Desktop.

This might give you loading errors, because X-Plane will still try to load these boat objects.

I agree with Tony's suggestion for using "US West Real Life" instead if you're on the west coast. Very good looking.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

10 hours ago, tonywob said:

@Sesquashtoo

Hi Tony...I had an idea...I just merged the 10 or so Real West files with w2xp_America, so removed the conflict that the dev warned about. Works like a charm, and the .dd's are much more in-depth than what was in those listings for _America

32 minutes ago, MarioDonick said:

This might give you loading errors, because X-Plane will still try to load these boat objects.

I agree with Tony's suggestion for using "US West Real Life" instead if you're on the west coast. Very good looking.

I thought of that...and just merged US West Real Life with w2xp_America.  I guess it is what it is...and I have to get use to seeing ten million very affluent Americans and Canadians, enjoying the day upon the water, lol!

Thanks Mario for your tips and suggestions.  I am just finishing off an  Ortho- generating marathon...(I have the TB's to do it....) and can't wait to see the results. I just did the entire state of Florida at z17 (with airports at z19) and have removed while I'm generating a z_miami ortho listing that I had, for it would mask and over ride the Ortho4XP tile near and about Miami.  I'm having a blast with this, truly, and am learning leaps 'n bounds.  While I have been generating, I have been yellow-highlighting all my (lots, believe me...) tiles and generating Overlays with W2XP_America (that was merged with US West Real Life) as I wait for the last three Florida tiles to finish generating.  Ryan was right...I had not been seeing most of my tiles, for I had by ignorance, double embedded them down a folder to many.  I didn't realize that you actually move over, or ShortCut the actual folders of each tile from the Ortho4XP Tile Folder, directly into the Custom Scenery Folder.  I am going create ShortCuts for all the folders, and then move the ShortCuts into the Scenery Folder. I want to keep the actual Ortho4XP Tiles on another drive. I heard this works. If it doesn't, then I will transfer copies of the actual tile folders into the Custom Scenery Folder.

I have never used ShortCuts...as I thought you could not use a virtual pointer.  I saw someone else do this...so thought to copy-cat him. See if it works!

Cheers,

Mitch/Ses

12 hours ago, revporl said:

Want some of mine...how 'bout motorboats, schooners, yachts,sailboats...I'm having an auction....

Seriously, if you download (probably this is where they are being posted from) get the latest Simheaven W2XP_America file, and you have the latest OpenSceneryX...you will most likely see them spawn.  They do look very nice, but there are just too many of them, in bays and inlets. No animation, just static all of them.  A few would look great...but not so many, with this way and that way headings...that it looks like a shark feeding frenzy...lol.  Nothing's perfect I guess..and I certainly can't complain that my water ways, are er...well; sterile!  Look for some of my coming screenshots, in the ScreenShot Forum..after I finish my Ortho generation, and you should see the boats I type about.

Ses

On 2017/05/08 at 10:40 AM, revporl said:

Me too, no boats anywhere!? I had them for a short while, but they completely disappeared and I don't know what setting (or plugin) I changed to make them disappear. I come from FSX where it was really easy and obvious where to change ship settings, but X-Plane is like a black box. Can anyone help?

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

8 hours ago, rooitou said:

Me too, no boats anywhere!? I had them for a short while, but they completely disappeared and I don't know what setting (or plugin) I changed to make them disappear. I come from FSX where it was really easy and obvious where to change ship settings, but X-Plane is like a black box. Can anyone help?

Go to simHeaven, and download the latest VFR-WORLD.  You will need to download the two libraries it needs, real the notes that come with it for the ones...and you will have boats again...but he toned down how many are afloat upon large lakes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Go to simHeaven, and download the latest VFR-WORLD.  You will need to download the two libraries it needs, real the notes that come with it for the ones...and you will have boats again...but he toned down how many are afloat upon large lakes. 

Awesome, thanks so much Sesquashtoo, I assume that will work for XP10 and XP11?

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit