Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

FS Global - is it normal to see chasms?

I bought FS Global a couple of months ago as I thought it would add to the realism of the default FS scenery. Whilst it definitely increases the detail in the terrain the whole effect is spoilt by the many 'chasms' which have appeared.Take a look at the attached shot. Is this what others see? For the record this part of the world is NW of Manchester Airport (EGCC), England and the last time I checked there weren't any chasms close to the M60 motorway. I have no other terrain mesh for this area.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139103.jpgI have placed the six FS Global scenery layers right at the bottom of the scenery library - right above the Default Terrain layer. I'm pretty sure this is correct but would appreciate any comments.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,I believe you can improve things by modifying the terrain.cfg file://Stream Lines(Texture.1024) // stream lines / unknown / perennialType=1Size=4ExcludeAutogen=1MaskClassMap=3Textures=RiverWi.bmp,RiverHw.bmp,RiverSp.bmp,RiverSm.bmp,RiverFa.bmp,RiverNt.bmpoffset=flat //-10 <------ (-10 is the default value)(Texture.1025) // stream lines / unknown / non-perennialType=1Size=4ExcludeAutogen=1MaskClassMap=3Textures=RiverWi.bmp,RiverHw.bmp,RiverSp.bmp,RiverSm.bmp,RiverFa.bmp,RiverNt.bmpoffset=flat //-10 <------You could customize the terrain.cfg file as above and save it under another name for use as and when you feel it is appropriate.Mike

Yea, what Mike says. Try a -3 or -4 instead. That works pretty good for me.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Ray,Cruachan is right on. Or "spot on" as I think you say over there. (?)I use an offset value of -3 in the Terrain.cfg file for the Texture.1024 and Texture.1025 sections (streams) as per Cruachan's post. It will make the riverine chasms not so deep.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Adverse Yawn

Excellent tip Mike!!!

Hi Mike,Thanks very much for your help. I changed the values to -3 and then to flat. I think the flat value suits me best. I'm attaching some screen shots so others can see the effect.Firstly, the parameter is set to -3...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139154.jpgAnd next it's set to 'flat'...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139155.jpgI never fail to be amazed at the level of knowledge on AvSim.Thanks! :-beerchug

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Clutch, appreciate the confirmation. I eventually settled for 'flat'.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Mace,"Spot on old chap" :-hah I eventually settled for the flat value.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,No, I hadn't changed any parameters in terrain.cfg. The answer as you will have seen by now was to edit that file and change the parameter suggested by Mike.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for this. I had no idea why I had these depressions in the landscape. I learn something new every day. Cool.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]