Sign in to follow this  
Rolfspan

Elevation profile no longer shows altitude

At the bottom of the elevation profile I used to get a reflection of mountainous terrain to reflect safe altitudes. It no longer appears. Is there anything I forgot to do?

Thank you.,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

are the green mountains missing or is the red line missing?

If the mountains are missing: Depends where you are flying. The online elevation data is limited and buggy. The next version will fix this by supporting free GLOBE data that has world wide coverage.

For example there is no elevation data in New Zealand, upper half of Norway and many other places.

Also check the elevation buffer in dialog "Options" on the tab "Flight Plan" -> "Minimum Altitude Buffer ...". Default is 1000 ft.

Alex

Alex, the mountains were missing and you are right. I was flying in New Zealand, Northern Norway and Iceland. 

Thanks for the prompt response and this great product. 

Rolf

Hi,

Could you fix this problem of missing mountains in the elevation profile?

I still see some misses at some parts of the world (mid Sweden for example) using the latest 2.0.2 version.

Thanks.

If I force the program to use the downloaded Global Elevation data, as I fly in Norway and Alaska, will it still only show MSA data for my pre activated flightplan, on the vertical profile window ?

My problem is that on approach to some small airfields in mountainous areas, you tend to go "off plan" and enter a VFR state on approach ! It would be useful to be able to get the actual MSA for any part of the map just by hovering the mouse over it.... before crashing into the side of a mountain !

Is there any way this can be achieved ? Or do I just need to have an Atlas nearby !

Thnx

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

If I force the program to use the downloaded Global Elevation data, as I fly in Norway and Alaska, will it still only show MSA data for my pre activated flightplan, on the vertical profile window ?

Yes. You can see the elevation at the cursor position in the status bar (after a tiny delay). This is enabled only when you use the GLOBE data because the offline data is way too slow.

Alex

My problem is that on approach to some small airfields in mountainous areas, you tend to go "off plan" and enter a VFR state on approach ! It would be useful to be able to get the actual MSA for any part of the map just by hovering the mouse over it.... before crashing into the side of a mountain !

Is there any way this can be achieved ? Or do I just need to have an Atlas nearby !

Thnx
1 hour ago, albar965 said:

Yes. You can see the elevation at the cursor position in the status bar (after a tiny delay). This is enabled only when you use the GLOBE data because the offline data is way too slow.

Alex

So will this work on the top down, main map.... cursor position will show altitude of a specific point ? Or is just on the vertical profile, pre set flightplan ?

Sorry, but just getting a little confused.

Thnx

2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

So will this work on the top down, main map.... cursor position will show altitude of a specific point ? Or is just on the vertical profile, pre set flightplan ?

Both. Always on the map and on the profile if there is a flight plan.

Alex

lNbWynW.jpg

s1eltK4.jpg

Hi Alex.

Not getting this at all.

I have version 2.0.3 but whichever map I select, moving the mouse on the main map only displays coordinates on the top bar (not bottom as in your images) of the vertical profile chart.

No altitude..... only the vertical profile chart shows altitude as I move the red slider along it from left to right or vica versa.

Have I missed an essential setting under options ?

Thnx

P.S. highlighting airways etc on map shows altitudes as pop up, as expected.

Edited by Gabe777

The top bar (first image) is a part of the elevation profile window. You can notice that if you drag the window out of the main window. The status bar (second image) belongs to the whole program and displays the altitude below the cursor position on the map window. This is independent of the profile and flight plan.

Are you sure that this is enabled?

Alex

Little_Navmap_-_Options_357.jpg

Hi again.

Yes I have enabled the Elevation data correctly.

The altitude shows when I run along the Vertical profile route.

It also shows if I hover the mouse over a waypoint or click on a waypoint in the flight plan, or hover over an airway....on the main map.

But, it will not display the altitude for any random place on the map by just hovering with the mouse, as yours appears to do so.

Also, my Open Street Map does not look like yours either.

Probably best I do a video and send you a link, as I feel I have hijacked this thread enough !

Will be in touch.

Thnx again.

Edited by Gabe777

Better send me your log file instead of a video. Less work. :smile:

That's the OpenMapSurfer map theme BTW. Does the elevation profile show mountains if you calculate a flight plan in New Zealand?

Does the path in the options dialog really exist? Is the GLOBE data complete? Have to be 17 files occupying around 1.8GB space.

Alex

Yes to everything.

6 hours ago, albar965 said:

Both. Always on the map and on the profile if there is a flight plan.

Alex

lNbWynW.jpg

s1eltK4.jpg

Yes to all your questions. Altitude is mapped if I trace the plan on the vert profile just fine..... but:

In the top image here, where you have a red rectangle around Ground Elevation 1,831.... I do not have that line.

And if I move my mouse cursor around the map, as in your lower image, there is no altitude data below the vert profile.... only co ordinates.... strange !

A few things that may be relevant.

I use Windows 10, P3D v4.3, and I run LNM on a client PC, networked. Also, I undock both the map and vert profile windows and move them onto a third screen ! Could be something to do with this lavish use of space !?!? Lol.

I will try it on the server pc tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Thnx again.

Edited by Gabe777