1 hour ago, Ted Striker said:

I just got a 4k TV and did quite a bit of testing. I went from a 1280 x 1024 monitor to triple 1280 x 1080 monitors, then to a 4k TV. The performance drop is not straight forward and depends on your scenery, planes, and settings used.

I have a 3770K at 4.5 ghz and a 780 GTX with only 3gb of VRAM.

In P3Dv3 I have GEX/UTX scenery and had a drop of about 15% going from the single monitor to the 4k TV.

In P3Dv2 I have only ORBX scenery with all regions, vector, global, and NA Landclass. I had a drop of 25-30% on this setup. i don't know if this larger drop was due to the ORBX scenery or P3Dv2. I used the exact same settings in both sims.

I feel I could write a thesis on this now but the bottom line and answer to the OP's original question is my 780 GTX is handling the 4k resolution much better than I expected and is fine as long as the weather is not too heavy.

The biggest performance degradation was going from the single monitor to the triple monitors. The drop from the triple monitors to the 4k monitor was a lot less.

Ted

Thanks for the comprehensive report

I will see how I go, I will be happy with 20 fps butsmooth in heavy weather.

Cheers

I'm a proud owner of a 4k TV now and it's one of best investments I've made, simulator-wise. I have done several flights so far with an extensive set of high-quality addons and have not noticed any drop in performance. FPS still the same as before and I'm thinking smoothness has improved greatly. Flying an approach with a frame rate in the high teens feels smoother than before and I don't even care about the number of FPS anymore.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 5/8/2017 at 0:09 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

The dip in 4K isn't really anything, it's the size of the TV that you'll be using that will make the difference. The larger the device, the greater the dip.  around 40 inches seems the best fit, though I use a 55 inch on a 980 (also driving 3 23 inch monitors) and I don't have any problem at all.

Best wishes.

Did you mean dpi  instead of dip? I think that is the subsequent  source of additional  posts trying to rebut your statement.

Or are we talking about regional airliners?😉

6 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Did you mean dpi  instead of dip? I think that is the subsequent  source of additional  posts trying to rebut your statement.

Yes, DPI, however I don't believe that wasn't the reason.

6 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Or are we talking about regional airliners?

Was that you on the other board?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Well, I've been debating whether or not to respond and help you to understand the topic.  We'll see.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.