Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

No Orhto4XP Overlays working...

I have my Ortho up and running, but any of the Overlays created by the Overlay Section of Ortho4XP, and generated by w2xp_America are loading.

I get the message that a scenery package, or files are missing, so XP11 WILL NOT load yOrtho4XP_Overlays.

So, no roads, no moving traffic...nothing...but the Ortho (which looks good).

If anybody has successfully created Overlays with the Ortho4XP program, and have used W2XP_America as the sniffer folder, can you PLEASE show me step by step, how to successfully create Overlays for each tile on my World Map, that will work and load in correctly.  Yes, I have the Overlay folder ABOVE all my Tiles in the Scenery.ini file.

Thanks for any help...stumped as to how to create proper and working Overlays...

Ses

I just check custom overlay dir: under Build Overlays and choose the X-Plane 11\Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery folder (the one containing the Earth nav data folder) and click build overlay.  Works great for me.

Make sure you have updated X-plane's global scenery so you get the latest OSM data. Sounds like your overlay folder is positioned correctly in the .ini file.

You can also build the overlay data from the corresponding folder for HDmeshV3 if you have it, but it is not as up to date as the current default global scenery data.

For the W2XP overlays, are you generating your own, or just using the one from simheaven?

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Use the default X-Plane 11 global scenery to build your overlays - X-Plane 11\Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery.

I have just recut all of my overlays for the UK, Ireland, Florida and Bahamas using this source with no issues.

I originally used the HDMeshV3 for my overlays, but as Martin said above, the default OSM is now more up to date.

If you set up Ortho4XP again, select the tiles (shift-click) you wish to recut for overlays and run batch creation with ONLY 'Build Overlays' selected it should run through pretty quickly as all the images, masks etc should still exist in your Ortho4XP folder.

When complete just copy your overlays folder to Custom Scenery.

I recut over 100 tiles in about 90 mins.

Hope this helps.

Daz

Thank you very much, guys. THANK YOU!

I have one more question....

Upon the Tile Build Control Panel...there is a Directory for VECTOR DATA that you can point to.  Where DO YOU point this to, when you wish to build a new tile?  Still learning.  When you built your tiles, did you not set this directory to point to vector data?

I was using W2XP_America, BUT, I had the sniffer routine in the Overlay only sniffing out the ROOT level of the W2XP_America Folder. I did not set it to the Earth Nav Data Root level inside the Root of the W2XP_America. I think that this is what screwed me up. I will try your methods, but if you point to the Global Scenery Folder in XP11, won't you not see any OSM auto-gen from the W2XP_America spawning...upon the Ortho base?

Also, if you have a successful Overlay, will you then get vector roadways, traffic upon them, and also night lighting, as you all would running the default landscape?

I'm about ready to pack this in...

I have the OVERLAY Directory set to XP/Global Scenery/Earth Nav

and for each time, I get 'there is no data to sniff at the selected place'.

I can not get this to work...:(

I had a similar problem... I discovered that I didn't have the brew zip installed. try the following command at the command line...

exec brew install p7zip

The ONLY directory I point to is the X-Plane 11\Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery folder.

In the main window, if building a new tile, I just leave everything at default other than select the source, the zoom level (usually Z16) and the mask options. Sometimes I increase the Masks Width when doing small tropical islands etc to give better looking coastlines in terms of water colour and beaches.

In the map window, I just tick Build Masks and Build Overlays and click Batch Build.

I do not edit the config file at all.

Daz

20 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I'm about ready to pack this in...

I have the OVERLAY Directory set to XP/Global Scenery/Earth Nav

and for each time, I get 'there is no data to sniff at the selected place'.

I can not get this to work...:(

DO NOT select the Earth Nav folder - you select the Global Scenery folder ABOVE the Earth Nav Folder.

On my setup it is:

X:\X-Plane 11\Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery

Are you setting this in the program or in the CFG file?

I just set it in the program each time - it remembers your last location.

Daz

I cannot see where you point to a source for Vector Data.

I do not touch this section - keep it simple. I assume it gets it's info from OSM.

If you have edited the cfg and added a 'sniff' directory, I would disable this for the time being and just use the user interface to select your overlays source folder.

Daz

Thanks to all, for all the help, and will figure this out.  OK, I'm going to paste to the Overlay Directory Mask and see what happens.  I really want this to work. I DO have the Ortho Layer, just nothing displayed on top of them for now.

I'm going to paste to the Overlay Directory Mask

Hi Ses,

What do you mean by the above?

What you need to do is redo your overlays as previously described and then copy your newly updated overlays directory ( yOrtho4XP_Overlays) from your Ortho4XP folder to your Custom Scenery directory. This should not take long as all of your ortho images and masks will already be present in your Ortho4XP installation folder.

If everything is done correctly and your scenery_packs.ini is ordered correctly, you will have buildings, trees, roads, traffic, lights etc on top of your ortho.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-008/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-009/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-010/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-011/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+52-007/

Daz

2 hours ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

Hi Ses,

What do you mean by the above?

What you need to do is redo your overlays as previously described and then copy your newly updated overlays directory ( yOrtho4XP_Overlays) from your Ortho4XP folder to your Custom Scenery directory. This should not take long as all of your ortho images and masks will already be present in your Ortho4XP installation folder.

If everything is done correctly and your scenery_packs.ini is ordered correctly, you will have buildings, trees, roads, traffic, lights etc on top of your ortho.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-008/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-009/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-010/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+51-011/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+52-007/

Daz

Thanks Darren.  What I meant, is that I copied your directory into the Overlay mask, but with my G: instead of your X.  I have to redo some tiles, as now XP11 is telling me it cant find TWO textures.  What a total PITA!  I hope the outcome is worth the hours I have spent on this. I do very appreciate your suggestions, as well as from others. I hope the end result is finally worth the journey.

Thanks for all the help.  It just won't work for me. I generate a complete tile.  I write a successful Overly from XP11 Global Scenery data...

, and when I run XP11, I get at the last second a screen saying that there are two files that XP11 can't fine in my Ortho4XP Tiles folder.

The same two files each time.

...and this after a successful tile generation, with the exe screen saying that all is : OK.

I don't know have to overcome this.

Thanks for all the help, but I spent way too many hours on this Ortho deal.

Mitch

13 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Thanks for all the help.  It just won't work for me. I generate a complete tile.  I write a successful Overly from XP11 Global Scenery data...

, and when I run XP11, I get at the last second a screen saying that there are two files that XP11 can't fine in my Ortho4XP Tiles folder.

The same two files each time.

...and this after a successful tile generation, with the exe screen saying that all is : OK.

I don't know have to overcome this.

Thanks for all the help, but I spent way too many hours on this Ortho deal.

Mitch

Post your X Plane log so we can all see exactly what's going on.

Also, in the meantime, you might want to try generating a completely different tile/overlay in a totally different area. If that works, it suggests that there's just a problem with that tile's data and not with you (this has never happened to me but I guess it's possible). 

Also, have you watched this video? It's clear and concise and told me basically everything I needed to get started with Ortho4XP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhr4xYosVvI

By the way, don't give up! It's absolutely worth it in the end- ortho completely transforms the sim. I'm actually thinking about investing in a 6TB HDD because I honestly can't get enough of it. 

Don't give up! It's worth it.

Do not copy my overlay path - that was just an example.

TICK the 'Custom Overlay Dir' box and it will let you browse to your own Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery folder.

Are you building the tiles from the Map screen using Batch Build? That's what I do even for a single file.

Are you linking your tiles to Custom Scenery or physically copying them there? From your comments:

23 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

and when I run XP11, I get at the last second a screen saying that there are two files that XP11 can't fine in my Ortho4XP Tiles folder.

..you are trying to link them as XP11 is looking for files in your Ortho4XP folder and NOT your Custom Scenery Folder.

I would wipe all ortho folders from your Custom Scenery folder (NOT the one's from your Orto4XP folder), including the overlays folder, and try again after watching the recommended video.

BTW - Are you on MAC or Windows?

Daz