Sign in to follow this  
Paladin

This cannot be correct, surely

After much to-ing and fro-ing, I finally decided to download XP11 this morning.  Ran the installer as "admin", entered my serIal, chose Europe as the scenery I would like to [initially] use and sat back to watch for a while.   Download speed is 283 Kbits/second and the total download time is anticipated to be in the "double hours" category.  I am the only user of a 40MB/Second fibre service, surely this cannot be correct.  Disappointed to say the least.

Maurice.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

As disappointing as it may be, it has nothing to do with your connection to the internet, but more to do with who you are connecting to.  I think everyone, at some point, has had issues with slow downloads.  I personally found that doing any updates, it is better to do at "off-peak" times, or at least when the anticipated internet traffic is much lower.  I usually do my updates first thing in the morning, between 4-5am (US Eastern Time).

All I can offer for advice right now is either be patient, or cancel the download and try a different time.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It's not a bug, it's a feature: You get to RTFM several times during downloading and will be proficient in all aspects of XP11 once it has finished!

Honestly though, I had no problem with download speeds in regards to XP11 whatsoever, so it may be bad luck on your side. Try again at a different time, it usually should be way faster!

I used Steam to buy XP11 and got it at my full connection speed.

Sean McCormack | Virgin Australia | i7 8700K @ 5.2Ghz | Asus Maximus XI | G.Skill RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ | Asus STRIX-GTX1080Ti | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD RAID 0 | Corsair HX1000i  | Win 10 64bit | HTC Vive, HMD Odyssey, Oculus Rift-S and Pimax 5k+ | Twitch twitch.tv/djsean00 | Youtube youtube.com/djsean00

I got it at full connection speed as well from their site and client. So yeah, just bad luck with the ISP i guess, or the content server you are currently connected with which is hosting the x-plane files you are downloading

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Thanks gents.  I started the DL at about 0930 BST [0830 GMT] thinking that all the children would be at school and our "over the pond cousins" would still be abed.  Will continue to try.  No choice on the DL link 'twas CDN or nothing.  Cannot employ a decent [payware] DL Manager.  Regards.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

where are you from ? if it is really slow downloading speed, it is not a bad idea to write them a mail about it, they usually are thankfull about that information. It might not help you now, but any other future customer  in your region/isp.

Just a little heads-up : Laminar is not distributing the stuff from one, central server (farm) but via a payed, 3rd-party CND (content delivery network). Usually the CDN providers have a big network of distributed data centers around the globe, which try to make sure, that you get your download from the next available CDN location. Nevertheless, even with this backing, its not avoidable that sometimes it "fails" .... And remember, that even your internet provider, and its backbone, and its network components etc. etc. are never 100% reliable and available at full speed .... So from the single perspective of an end user, you can't easily tell who is to be blamed for low transfer speed.

Nevertheless, its definitely not a bad idea to try to be anti-cyclic ... and do your big downloads, when its less likely that others do it too :wink:

• Upvote 1

Thanks again gents.  I have [finally] managed to get the download complete.  I am in UK with a most solid ISP.  I appreciate the meaning of CDN {Orbx etc} but, it would seem, that "Resume" was not an option within the DL process.  All I have left to do now is learn to fly it.  The C172 turns so hard on power application, that I have yet to get it in a [more or less] straight line down the runway.  Best Regards all.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

It's not the speed to your ISP that matters, it's the speed in every link in the chain between your ISP and the other server.