Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Graphics

25 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I hereby declare that the various flightsim "platforms" shall from now on be referred to a "soap boxes".

Well, Avsim is something like a town square for us flight sim addicts. So maybe that fits. :biggrin:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

49 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Not trying to get into a platform fight here, but since the topic has been brought up... :happy:

Here's a link to a YouTube clip of a very low-level flight over Innsbruck in XP11 for comparison. This is default OSM-generated scenery, on top of user-generated orthophoto base. I think it's also using Reshade to adjust the fog. All of this is free, no payware here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4Nya-5JYo

Here's what payware scenery looks like. Notice the individual light sources, a default feature for all scenery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04m0afItKsM&t=194s

---

My expectations based on what I've seen so far of screenshots of FSW and that brief intro video, is that they probably haven't figured out how to deal with blurred terrain in the distance. But that won't matter to everyone. The one thing I hope they're able to work on is pop-in, because that does break immersion.

I'm going to buy the Early Access when it's released. What I've seen so far won't wean me from XP11 as my main flight sim, but it would be nice to fly in a few areas with seasonal changes, and I'm curious about how it looks and flies in heavy weather. That's not exactly a strong point in X-Plane.

Hi im thinking of buying XP11 , im  dont know how to do this Ortho scenery , so can one download it ready made and all i have to do is place it in the xplane scenery folder or something , is it easy like that?

5 hours ago, KavindaJD said:

Its been over 10 years, but DTG SOMEHOW manages to take us right back to square 1.

You lot really know how to work that simulator magic don't you?

DTG has only been working on it for less than 3 years, and there are definitely some graphical improvements. Not to mention, performance should be better, too.

23 minutes ago, fsxkitty said:

DTG has only been working on it for less than 3 years, and there are definitely some graphical improvements. Not to mention, performance should be better, too.

I would not hold my breath. DTG also managed to screw it up with Train Sim World. And that has a modern engine. That debacle and their store policy will have me looking from the side lines for now

This looks like crap. It's like P3D with the carenado Malibú. Yes I like the rain effects but so far it's the only thing I like. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

1 hour ago, XMAN said:

Hi im thinking of buying XP11 , im  dont know how to do this Ortho scenery , so can one download it ready made and all i have to do is place it in the xplane scenery folder or something , is it easy like that?

No, it's not ready made, which is why it's free. :biggrin:

But it's easy to do yourself from free online data sources, and then using the free program that does this. Head over to the X-Plane forum here for more info.

Also, full disclosure:

I don't like this orthophoto approach to scenery, because part of my flying is helicopters and I need more texture on the ground when landing off-airport. So I just use the default landclass terrain and OSM overlay. But you would still see all those buildings, roads, trees, and the surrounding terrain like mountains in XP11. The orthophoto just adds things like the river water color and the football field, that would be landclass tiles in default scenery.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Well, Avsim is something like a town square for us flight sim addicts. So maybe that fits. :biggrin:

Maybe the word bandwagon would even be a better substitute, since it's fairly easy to off of a bandwagon.

9 hours ago, XMAN said:

If you like photorealistic scenery - well - XP is top of the class without any question asked go to :

http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php

Europe at zoom 17 - available for free !  divided in tiles; and you place each downloaded tile into the xplane custom scenery folder; work either in xplane 10 or 11.

ahhh - there is even custom autogen available at:

http://simheaven.com/

and if you want to make it on your own for an area of your choice here is the tool:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/29120-ortho4xp/

i think you will have enough for the moment.

So funny how the FSW announcement and some screenshots brings all the X-Plane ###### out of the woodwork, trying to justify their choice of sim with links to videos and free tools etc.  They seem awfully defensive to me. Perhaps FSW is a threat?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

So funny how the FSW announcement and some screenshots brings all the X-Plane ###### out of the woodwork, trying to justify their choice of sim with links to videos and free tools etc.  They seem awfully defensive to me. Perhaps FSW is a threat?

Your post seems more defensive than any of the X-Plane comparisons posts. Besides that, its only natural to compare a modern day 64 bit sim to what will be the first 64 bit incarnation of the decade old ESP platform. Oh and I am an X-Plane user, I do not feel any threat from this sim, but I will probably buy it anyway.

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

46 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

Interesting choice of language, considering how new you are to the site.  

Many of the members here are seasoned flight simmers who have been down the FSX and P3D road long enough to know and recognize when they see rehashed scenery, textures, techniques, etc.  Personally, it's irrelevant and inappropriate to post replies about other sims here, when the main subject of the thread is dealing with the new simulator.  Only time will tell if FSW will be able to compete with the other established sims.

What I can say to satisfy your question is no, there is no threat.  If you can look at all of the sims objectively, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Can we keep discussions to FS World and not X-Plane (there is a separate forum for that).

I think the screenshots look good, especially for a vanilla-default install. It's still early days and there will be more added and improved. If it can make better use of my hardware and looks decent then I'll be happy. 

• Upvote 1

Well I earned two reputation points for my comment, it must have struck a chord (and clearly a few nerves).

So an honest question then: is it reasonable for "seasoned flight simmers" with thousands of AVSIM posts to add links to competing flight sims in a topic discussing a new entrant to the market? Does this not seem a case of oneupmanship or elitism?

Why is there a need to extol the virtues of another sim in this context? Don't you think it's disrespectful?

5 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

Well I earned two reputation points for my comment, it must have struck a chord (and clearly a few nerves).

So an honest question then: is it reasonable for "seasoned flight simmers" with thousands of AVSIM posts to add links to competing flight sims in a topic discussing a new entrant to the market? Does this not seem a case of oneupmanship or elitism?

Why is there a need to extol the virtues of another sim in this context? Don't you think it's disrespectful?

get your point

if you refer to my reply - it was to answer the question above - he asked -  i replied and point a simmer i would say - to the right direction.  :biggrin: (no pun intended).

• Upvote 1