Sign in to follow this  
Sam Schaeffer

How will the PMDG B737 NGX run with these specs?

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing it. How well would it run with these specs?

• Intel - Core i5 - 7500 3.4 quad core processor

• XFX Radeon RX 470 4gb Triple X video card

• 8gb DDR4-2133 ram

• Windows 10, 64 bit

Regards,

Sam

1 hour ago, Sam Schaeffer said:

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing it. How well would it run with these specs?

• 8gb DDR4-2133 ram

• Windows 10, 64 bit

Regards,

Sam

More than adequate.  Are you thinking of OC'ing your CPU.

Here are my specs:

• I5- 6600K OC'd 4.4 GHZ
  • Nvidia GTX 960 4G
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Windows 7, 64 bit

FSX locked at 30 FPS.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

5 minutes ago, DylanC said:

More than adequate.  Are you thinking of OC'ing your CPU.

Here are my specs:

• I5- 6600K OC'd 4.4 GHZ
  • Nvidia GTX 960 4G
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Windows 7, 64 bit

FSX locked at 30 FPS.

I wasn't really, but I probably should. I'll look into it. Thanks so much for the response, now I will for sure get it! Would you say mine would be ~30 fps too?

I'm sure you can squeeze more out of it.  I keep the FPS locked for smoothness.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

8 hours ago, Sam Schaeffer said:

• 8gb DDR4-2133 ram

• Windows 10, 64 bit

Regards,

Sam

Hi Sam,

I agree with @DylanChere if you plan to run only the PMDG (or other payware aircrafts) on a clean FSX.

If you further plan to add enhancements e.g.: GEX, UTX, REX, ORBX, traffic, payware airports, ground handling....then I think that your i5 will not stand to the job. You should see if you can get in an area of 4GHz or better, and an i7 (which has hyperthreading) instead of the i5.

FSX will not use the additional 4 threads, but your system can make use of them so the physical cores could get unloaded.

You can see from my signature what my specs are (and the addons I use) and my i7 (not overclocked) struggles somethimes to handle the load.

I'm almost certain that @DylanC OC i5 does a better job then my stock i7 but you have to invest in a much better HW (Z-Motherboard, good cooling, better case, better PSU) and know your way around with the OC.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

4 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Hi Sam,

I agree with @DylanChere if you plan to run only the PMDG (or other payware aircrafts) on a clean FSX.

If you further plan to add enhancements e.g.: GEX, UTX, REX, ORBX, traffic, payware airports, ground handling....then I think that your i5 will not stand to the job. You should see if you can get in an area of 4GHz or better, and an i7 (which has hyperthreading) instead of the i5.

FSX will not use the additional 4 threads, but your system can make use of them so the physical cores could get unloaded.

You can see from my signature what my specs are (and the addons I use) and my i7 (not overclocked) struggles somethimes to handle the load.

I'm almost certain that @DylanC OC i5 does a better job then my stock i7 but you have to invest in a much better HW (Z-Motherboard, good cooling, better case, better PSU) and know your way around with the OC.

Well, I was thinking about getting GEX and FS2Crew: PMDG NGX Reboot after I got the NGX... how badly do you think it what affect the performance? If it stays around 25 FPS, I'm okay with it.

IMHO makes no sense to run the PMDG (or any other complex addon plane) without AI traffic, ATC (PRO ATC X) weather(Active Sky) and serious scenery (specially airports). Adding camera (EZCA or Chase) and may be TIR is a plus. If yoy add all of this to the equation, the i5 will probably fall short in complex and big airports (EHAM,...), and you'll only get 20's or more in cruise.

Best regards

Can subscribe to the above.

GEX is a nice piece of addon and it's also very frame-friendly. But GEX takes care of your ground environment (as it's name also states). This enhancement is quite good if you plan to fly a lot of VFR.

Since you now want to invest in a jet and will fly with it at 360000 feet, GEX will still look good but you will get annoyed by the sh*... default sky and cloud textures. So your next step will then probably be to replace those :) and nice looking clouds can eat away "some" of your performance headroom.

The addiction grow's on you and you will want to fly in real weather, so you'll buy a weather engine, then traffic, then....you got the point right?

I, at my end, did it exactly the other way around: since the time I spend in the sim is 75% in the air, I started with the sky....

To also answer your Q: Yes! With only those addons (and some more) you will be able to fly at decent FPS!

May I suggest something else? If you plan to buy all the HW and start to buy addon's, be aware that the year 2017 will bring some "brakethrough's" or "big changes" in the SIM world. Dovetail just announced the much awaited new SIM (which we all hope will be the next big thing) and LM will hopefully launch the 64bit of it's P3D v4...so maybe it's now the right time to wait a bit (if you can).

Regards

PS: I would't want to be in your situation though :P

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Depends on how you configure the sim.

Anyone that says X hardware can run PMDG's 737 "just fine" in all scenarios, let alone never varying from 30 FPS has not actually tested in a worst case scenario.  

Try the following:

Turn your settings up to maximum.  Choose the 737 and configure the sim to start on the active runway at KJFK.  Turn on the FPS counter (shift Z).  Look out the window.  Tell us your FPS.  It's not 30.  Even with my 7700k at 5.2GHz and 3600MHz RAM with an overclocked GTX 1070 and a tweaked config file the FPS is in the 20s.  

Go one step further and take off as soon as able and fly over the terminal towards Manhattan and look down at the terminal.  

Take it to the ultimate conclusion and load up a bunch of 3rd party add-ons like Manhattan X and FSDT KJFK.  Set the sim to night time with severe weather.  If you're not looking at a slide show right now then congrats - you have a relatively fast PC (for flight sim).  

There's a trade off for everything.  I don't run my sim at max settings, but pretty close to it and have a ton of addons.  Very rarely do I dip below 30 FPS in the NGX regardless of the scenario.  The 777 is a different story though.  Run the same scenario with the 777 and my FPS will drop to around 25 - 27.

Dylan Charles

Hi there folks,

I've stumbled upon this post because it is sort of relevant to what I am trying to grapple with at the moment. Not entirely certain whether I should be starting a new thread, so will ask here. 

After about three years of gradual evolution I now have a pretty complex and stable environment, which includes FSX, PMDG 737, MCE, ORBX scenery and ORBX complex airports, etc... I run numerous peripheral devices such as Saitek, Goflight MCP and five Leo Bodnar joystick controllers. There are six monitors connected via two GTX cards (960 4GB and 460).

All of the above runs off one i7-950 machine with 12GB RAM.

Naturally as my knowledge, experience and "sim addiction" have developed over time, the frame rate has been going backwards with each new enhancement. Although the frame rate is quite acceptable at altitudes, it drops to 10 and under on the ground.

As much as I hate the thought of rebuilding from scratch, it is probably time to do so 😞

In an endeavour to contain the costs, I have landed on i7 4th generation as seemingly representing good value for money. Currently looking at a machine with i7-4770 and 32GB RAM. Will probably be looking to reuse the two existing GTX video cards that I already have.

Would anyone kindly offer me some guidance whether this upgrade would represent a material difference to sim performance. Also, would going for 32GB RAM instead of 16GB provide any discernible benefit?

I would hate to spend numerous sleepless nights rebuilding the cockpit and not show a material outcome!

Thanking you in advance!