Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAdlai

Winds Went Crazy

Howdy, all!

So I was just taking the Aerosoft A320 from Oslo to Helsinki in P3D V3.4, when I had to end a flight for the strangest reason. I took off, and all was well, besides a little turbulence. As I climbed, though, the wind started shifting back and forth as it sometimes does, but it started to get faster and faster, to the point where I'd have a tailwind one moment, and a headwind the next. Within a few minutes, it was switching every few frames. It seemed to be stuck in some sort of loop, since it was switching between the exact same two speed/direction combos the entire time.

First I tried to just refresh my weather (which is FSXWX), but that didn't help. Then I set clear weather in the sim. Still nothing. I finally tried using FSUIPC (I'm using the free version) to "clear all weather", but still the problem persisted. Needless to say, it was wreaking havoc on the FBW, and even at TOGA power and with the nose down, I couldn't keep my speed up, which very, very slowly bled off. When I couldn't keep altitude anymore, I quit, having admitted defeat to the sim once again.

I'm running V3.4 with the Aerosoft A320, GSX, Pro ATC X, and FSXWX.

Any idea what happened, or how to prevent it from happening in the future?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Possible culprit - the wheather engine. I don't have any experience with FSXWX but I had similiar problems frequently with REXs engine. Switched to ActiveSky - problems gone. I'd suggest looking into the weather engine, making sure it's set up correctly.

Just don't start the weather engine or disable it, and if problem doesn't reoccur, that  is the culprit. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hi! I experienced the same thing the other day! (ironically in while leaving Helsinki)

I realised it was to do with my Active Sky 16 settings. Most likely your wx engine going crazy.

I had to disable the Thunderstorms in CB metar option to fix it, but I had awful control of my plane, being thrown up and down, left and right and was unable to climb.

Sounds like you had severe turbulence in the TS which is normal. The OP's issue of rapidly reversing wind is not present in AS16 without outside issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just don't start the weather engine or disable it, and if problem doesn't reoccur, that  is the culprit. 

That was what I figured, but wouldn't the problem have gone away when I closed the weather engine and set clear weather?

Also, how would I reproduce it? I was using real world weather, so there's no guarantee it'd happen again, even if I setup everything the same way again.

Not P3D but FWIW I get the same thing in FSX:SE with winds aloft enabled. I use FSOpen Clouds which injects real METARS for FSX to interpret. I get instant 180 degree shifts in wind direction. Stock FSX:SE will do this too. One second, happily doing 0.8 Mach, then next almost stalling out of the sky, quickly followed by instant overspeed because I'm firewalling the throttles to cope with the tailwind... which then becomes a headwind. I've had freeware planes crash due to this..

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, CaptainAdlai said:

That was what I figured, but wouldn't the problem have gone away when I closed the weather engine and set clear weather?

Also, how would I reproduce it? I was using real world weather, so there's no guarantee it'd happen again, even if I setup everything the same way again.

I have never used the program you use, I use Active Sky 16 and there are a couple of settings that should be turned down or off to keep erratic winds from occurring, like wind shear and turbulence. If you can adjust any settings in your program, see if there are any that involve wind that you can adjust. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It suggested making a change to the turbulence setting in the P3D.cfg on their website, which I forgot to do initially. I changed it, and just did another flight with the program, encountering no issues.

That said, I had also made a successful flight before my eventful one, so who knows... hopefully it was just a crazy, one-off problem.

Landed in Nice after a bumpy flight out from Geneva.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Konterhalbe said:

@CaptainAdlai have you still had this issue after your last post? I'm suffering from sudden wind shifts in P3D V4.5 when wind speed is high in general.

The original post is almost 4.5 years old. How about starting a new thread? The OP hasn't visited since January 2, 2018 which you could see from his member's page.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.