Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Clearing Up Confusion - Importing Updated NAVIGRAPH Data into XP11

I've seen this pop up more and more in various forums, including here, so I thought I would clear up any confusion on how this all works and help the community, especially new users, in getting updated NAVIGRAPH data into XP11.

Firstly, it is important to note that in order for all of this to work properly, you will need to already have a Navigraph account (http://navigraph.com).  Navigraph offers flexible data subscription options, so choose whatever you feel you need.  Once you have your account established, be sure to download the latest Navigraph FMS Data Manager.  This will facilitate ease of importation and subsequent updating of your XP11 FMS data.

Once you have the FMS Data Manager installed, log in to your account, via the prompt, within the FMS DM.  You will be greeted with a message stating that "You do not have any add-ons mapped", and that will need to be populated with your paths to whatever add-ons you have, as well as the core XP11 data location.  Click on the Addon Mappings button, now click on the +Add button.  

To the left of the window, there will be a dropdown menu, that has various add-ons in the list (this should be updated periodically, as new add-ons are made compatible with Navigraph).  Click on the down arrow, and scroll to the very bottom of the list, where the entry "X-Plane 11" appears, and accept.  Go to the dropdown menu next to this labeled "Install Into", and click on the down arrow and select "User Defined Folder".  This is preferred method to ensure that the data will be installed to the folder you know needs populated with the latest data.

Select the directory where the X-Plane 11 FMS Data is to be located: [X-Plane 11 install location]\Custom Data

Click on the save button, once you have chosen the directory.

In the upper right, click on the "Addon List" button, which will now display your recently added folder location.  Tick the checkbox next to the entry and then click on the "Update" button above.  This will now initiate the download of the latest AIRAC cycle data available from the Navigraph server to your directory.  Once the data has been downloaded, you can now click on the down arrow next to the Navigraph AIRAC cycle (green label), which will now update and process the FMS data.

At this time, your FMS data has been successfully added to X-Plane 11.  You can now check to make sure this was successful by opening X-Plane, loading the default 737 Aircraft, and checking the FMC, you should not see the "Navdata Is Out Of Date" message.  Click the LSK1 key, labeled STATUS, and you will now see the updated AIRAC Cycle displayed.

This process can now be used for your other add-ons as well.  Go back to the Addon Mappings button, select your product from the drop-down list, and again, select the appropriate folder, corresponding to the product that needs updated, save it, then go back to the Addon List, tick the checkbox for the new product mapped and then update.

A more concise, albeit long-winded explanation of the Navdata for X-Plane 11, can be viewed in the following video, presented by Phillip Munzel:

If the Moderators feel this is handy for the Tips & Tricks subforum, feel free to move it.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

1 minute ago, J.L.Seagull said:

Excellent stuff Jim.

Thank you sir.  I do hope it helps.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thank you Jim for taking time to prepare this valuable guide. And the video, well Phillip Munzel, as you say may be a bit long-winded, but I'm glad I took time to view it. He does an excellent job explaining how data is organized/prioritized in XP 11.  His capacity to get the student to 'visualize' the information is a quality I wish some of my teachers would have had!

Just now, Jean-Jacques said:

Thank you Jim for taking time to prepare this valuable guide. And the video, well Phillip Munzel, as you say may be a bit long-winded, but I'm glad I took time to view it. He does an excellent job explaining how data is organized/prioritized in XP 11.  His capacity to get the student to 'visualize' the information is a quality I wish some of my teachers would have had.

I'm glad it helped Sir.  I meant no offense to Phillip's explanations, and when i said "long-winded" I meant it as that a lot of people in the "I want it, I want it now" mentality, may get bored with the video.  He does have a lot of valuable info in the video, so taking time out to watch it, just makes us a little wiser down the road. :happy:

11 minutes ago, Jimm said:

I'm glad it helped Sir.  I meant no offense to Phillip's explanations, and when i said "long-winded" I meant it as that a lot of people in the "I want it, I want it now" mentality, may get bored with the video.  He does have a lot of valuable info in the video, so taking time out to watch it, just makes us a little wiser down the road. :happy:

Please rest assured I didn't read it that way. To the contrary, there's nothing wrong with being a bit 'long' so long as the objective is met which in his case, if someone doesn't get it, then maybe such a person shouldn't worry about nav data! Thanks again.

Excellent guide, thanks Jim, I've move this to Tips & Tricks and pinned.