Sign in to follow this  
tommygavin2

Sudden power decrease

In longer flights I have experienced a sudden dramatic drop in power, MP falls, airspeed, etc.  I don't think its carb icing though it is the same behavior. This plane is fuel injected I believe. Anyone else?

Hi Tommy,

Have some but not a lot of time on it... Haven't seen that yet - isn't that an issue with the sims though - we can get carb icing on fuel injected planes ??? Have you tried the keyboard shortcut to turn on carb heat when you had the issue ???

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On some planes carb heat and prop anti-ice can be toggled on and off with just the carb heat switch. So it's worth a try.

Although the engine is fuel injected AFAIR FSX/P3D simulate propeller icing the same way as carb icing. 

However, the Alabeo 310 doesn't have any anti-icing equipment at all, so you have to stay clear of icing conditions. 

A drawback but no anti-ice equipment means less weight, less maintenance costs and a slighty higher performance. 

I believe the carb heat keyboard is ctrl+h, didn't seem to do anything, funny thing is I'm flying from Y47 (Oakland Cty, MI) to KTTA (Sanford, NC) using AS16 weather, which is usually spot on.  Currently at my home (4 miles from Y47) it's 60 degrees. I was at 7500ft when the power loss started. Didn't see an OAT indicator in the aircraft.

Where you in clouds?  60F on ground = ~ 30F at 7500ft = icing conditions.

In the clouds, yes. I did have to put on pitot heat due to a dead airspeed incicator, so yes, but my attempt at carb heat if Ctrl H is correct did nothing to improve engine performance. I'll check settings to make sure. I don't see a carb heat lever on panel.

My question I guess is why would it have carb heat if it is fuel injected?  Alt air maybe?

Use just the "H" key, no Ctrl that should turn on the default Carb Heat. I think it's more of a problem with FSX/P3D than any one plane. I've had this occur over the years using various aircraft.

Martin

On ‎14‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 2:39 PM, tommygavin2 said:

My question I guess is why would it have carb heat if it is fuel injected?

Again, you are flying in icing condition without any anti-icing equipment. That's why your ASI dropped to zero and (most probably) prop icing occured which caused the engine to fail.

You have to stay clear of clouds when flying IFR in this case.