Sign in to follow this  
Zatoichi

Holding the Centerline

I had an instructor that demanded precision in everything.

Stop right AT the limit lines etc.

So I was watching the news the other night about someone being fired and all I saw was a Gulfsteam that was glued to the taxi markers.

I was really impressed. And then they started down the runway - again glued to the centerline.

I am going to practice my taxing.

G'day

The centerline is important, especially with larger aircraft!

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

I don't know if I'm allowed to share any links, but here is a very usefull video:

Practice is everything. You can not always hit the centerline (especially when strong winds are present), but you should focus on the centerline

• Upvote 1

Philipp Schwaegerl

My instructor was the same. He was French Canadian with a thick accent and was a stickler for breaking bad habits. Awesome guy

Matthew Kane

What colors this a lot for me is the modeling of the aircraft.

A cheap model that rides on a rail versus one that reacts to wind etc.

Yeah, the XYZ is easier to fly because it functions in a very predictable manner.

But the aircraft with more realistic aerodynamics is closer to being there and therefore more fun for me.

Not my quote but a good one:  "The centerline is for pilots. The rest of the runway is for passengers." :)

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

I need to do a better job at staying on the taxiway centerline. Having taxiied for the first time today, I can safely say I taxi like a drunken monkey. The funny thing is, on take-off, I can stay on the runway centerline just fine.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Breeds good habits to stay in the middle, not least because that is the bit designed to take the weight.

The subject reminds me of this well known chestnut.. A British Airways 737 touched down at Frankfurt-am-Main. The tower controller, obviously in frivolous mood, transmitted: "Speedbird 123. Nice landing Captain, But a little left of the centre-line, I think." Quick as a flash, the BA Captain replied in a cool English accent: "Roger Frankfurt Tower. Perfectly correct. I am a little to the left of the centre-line. And my co-pilot is a little to the right of it."

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In some gliders, under x-wind, it is actually mandatory to depart downwind as speed and rudder / tail fin effcetivness decrease, or you'll exit the rw through the upwind side...

The lack of propwash is probably the only thing I miss on gliders, and only when operating near limit x-wind ...

Well, ok, I also have missed it in x-country sometimes .... :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Not missing propwash at all, especially not in jets ;)