Sign in to follow this  

DTG - Heart in the right place

Well I'm definitely in.. Haven't missed a sim in the last 30 years don't plan on missing this one either..:cool:

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

50 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

thought  fsx  was  a  32  bit might  be  confused   with  some  thing  else   though

I meant than even if Flight Sim World is based on a 32-bit FSX, it still an improved 64-bit FSX with ORBX global built-in. Something simmers have been wanting for years

I read a few posts before posting, I can say I saw a positive thinking wave, I am in it.
I think positive, remembering from Thursday we will have an unfinished version, a public beta.

João Alfredo

• Upvote 1

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

In my years in manufacturing( I am now retired), I learned a thing or two about change and innovation. Of course, I am referring to the pre Silicon Valley instant destroy and rebuild philosophy. Back then, I understood that too much change too fast and too quickly could result in some major failures. I remember in the 2K bug era, when everyone was panicking regarding the year 2000 computer date "bug" that was going to destroy civilization. Many companies when out and purchased their "this is our chance to redo everything" expensive new software. As a consultant, I made money fixing these companies that had come to a grinding halt from the reality of how brand new systems may not necessarily produce the expected results, especially if they are introduced too quickly and too fast.

So what does this have to do with flight sims? Simple. No company in such a small market would be foolish enough to spend millions of dollars for the "perfect sim". Why do it on a flight sim when you can do it on a video game for teenagers that will sell in the millions?

From my vantage point, our faithful fsx suffers from indigestion due to memory limitations and old codevis a vis-a-vis the progress that third parties have made with their products.Therefore, the company that can create a base product that allows new and old developers to quickly jump on their platform without having to find the tricks to make it work will be the winner.

To this end, DTG should know this( and I believe they do), and I hope they provide us with a brand new start. A new graphic engine without memory issues, together with some great developers is not a bad way to start. Now, let's not prejudge until they release their product.

tony

• Upvote 1

Appreciate the feedback, both the good and bad. Presentation and performance could have been a little better (I'll take the heat for that one - a little nervous, sorry!). 

Though one of the things about launching in Early Access and we can take that feedback and work on it, we know we've put a lot of emphasis on the aircraft until this point (we want to set a benchmark for the kind of quality we want in-house and from our third party partners). 

There are also a bunch of updates planned throughout the Early Access period that are going to have some big changes to some of the points of contention. 

As always, feel free to keep the feedback coming and where possible, try to keep it constructive. 

• Upvote 8

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Cryss,

Honesty is good. One good example of honesty is TFDI, a great developer with a great product. I was a great supported on the day one and am still a great supporter on day 120. Alas, they were well intentioned with an early release, only to find out that it was released a bit too early and allowed many, less patient users to go crazy. After several frantic attempts to provide daily updates, they decided to go silent for a good two months before releasing their update, which did bring the product to what it should have been originally.

Lessons learned.

One thing that I like about XP early access is that it did not force people to purchase the product until they called it final. I, for example, was able to see their progress without having to purchase the product. This kept most naysayers under control, since they could always opt to work with the demo first.

DTG should follow the same model, despite the fact that bringing revenues is tempting. However, in a small room, the word spreads quickly, so how a product is introduced and what a customer is expected to do is, in my opinion, key to success.

tony

4 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Exactly. All this focusing on negative aspects. Very tiresome...

I agree, these guys want to give their reviews without having or even tried the product.

I just disregard and only look at reviews from real tester.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

2 hours ago, DTG_Cryss said:

Appreciate the feedback, both the good and bad. Presentation and performance could have been a little better (I'll take the heat for that one - a little nervous, sorry!). 

Though one of the things about launching in Early Access and we can take that feedback and work on it, we know we've put a lot of emphasis on the aircraft until this point (we want to set a benchmark for the kind of quality we want in-house and from our third party partners). 

There are also a bunch of updates planned throughout the Early Access period that are going to have some big changes to some of the points of contention. 

As always, feel free to keep the feedback coming and where possible, try to keep it constructive. 

This is a hard community to please. However, there are some longstanding complaints that will never go away.

Popup scenery, small draw radius, blurries, stutters etc. will get the most scrutiny no matter what new enhancements the dev tries to push. And oftentimes, the new enhancements further kill performance which means we have to turn it off anyway. This issue plagues every developer (LM and LR), so DTG is not alone in this area.

LR has a 3D world (no flat houses etc) and superior night lighting effects, but this means nothing when it is all going by like a slideshow.

I applaud all of the new enhancements from all devs. you all have something up on the other guy. But basic "smooth" performance and the ground environment is something that I think is a core issue for a dev to take the lead on...and dominate this market.

Warthunder is a battle game (not a sim) that I just fly around in...just for the smooth experience and decent eye candy. If anyone of you devs could capture that feeling...game over for the rest.

8 hours ago, philphy42 said:

How do you know it has worse FPS, same FSX bugs etc when you haven't tried it yet ??  The weather is new, the default aircraft are new and look good, 64 bit is new, the flight planning looks like a major overhaul, FTX global is a step up from default FSX, Accu-feel is is also a step up from FSX and remember its early access and there are plenty more development opportunities.

So much pessimism, lighten up and give it a try first !! 

7 hours ago, jonesrob said:

Some of you should take a look in the mirror and wonder if the face looking at you is missing some of the joys of life. There are posters here who never, ever, have a good thing to say about anything. Perhaps you need a less demanding hobby.

7 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

You took the words right out of my mouth! No wonder this poor old planet is on a downward spiral. I think it's just sad.

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

There is a lot of negativity here. Simmers must be one of the hardest groups in the world to please. 

It looks pretty nice to me. Even if it is based of FSX, it's still a 64-Bit FSX with ORBX Global and some nice GA planes in an easy to install package (and probably costs less as well). If I were a new simmer, I would be happy I didn't need to spend a pile of cash on P3D, and then purchase ORBX Global etc.

6 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Exactly. All this focusing on negative aspects. Very tiresome...

100% agree... so many ignorant/ pessimistic posts...

And then there are also those that for some reason think they would look pretty dumb to say good things after spending hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on the older platforms and think that accepting the new sim would somehow make that spending have been for nothing...

Not really sure why. I have spent lots of $ on all FSX, XP and P3D, but have also purchased AF2, and Flight School, and will try out all the new stuff (and really, when a new sim costs the same as maybe a medium priced add-on, not giving it a try and just talking crap without first hand experience, is just silly...)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, flyforever said:

Cryss,

Honesty is good. One good example of honesty is TFDI, a great developer with a great product. I was a great supported on the day one and am still a great supporter on day 120. Alas, they were well intentioned with an early release, only to find out that it was released a bit too early and allowed many, less patient users to go crazy. After several frantic attempts to provide daily updates, they decided to go silent for a good two months before releasing their update, which did bring the product to what it should have been originally.

Lessons learned.

One thing that I like about XP early access is that it did not force people to purchase the product until they called it final. I, for example, was able to see their progress without having to purchase the product. This kept most naysayers under control, since they could always opt to work with the demo first.

DTG should follow the same model, despite the fact that bringing revenues is tempting. However, in a small room, the word spreads quickly, so how a product is introduced and what a customer is expected to do is, in my opinion, key to success.

tony

What "XP early access" are you talking about...?  Do you mean XPlane? Is so, that was not free.....

33 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

What "XP early access" are you talking about...?  Do you mean XPlane? Is so, that was not free.....

He may be mistaking the demo for the beta?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I am referring to the demo, which allowed all beta updates. Yes, I used the wrong term "early access", despite the fact that I did have early access to xp11 and all of its beta updates up until it went final.

I had only 10 minutes of actual demo time, but it was enough for me to follow its progress.

tony

DTG had better not destroy our ecosystem the way pmdg fears, or DTG will suffer.

spacer.png

On 5/12/2017 at 2:15 PM, DTG_Cryss said:

Are you able to elaborate what this road map is? Perhaps it would alleviate some concerns to those that bring up these "points of contention". I assume those are the graphics rendering, of popup scenery, LOD and what not.  

That being said, someone could release a simulator thats extremely smooth and have nearly everything that people want yet, there will always be complainers about something. Its the DNA of the community.  Hoping for a strong core development that 3PDs can use to shape the rest. If they are unsatisfied to get on board, be it business model, and or the SDK they need to work with, then its hard as a user to support it. Looking forward to the 18th to see what the future holds for FSW. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

We touched upon some points in the road map during the live stream 

- Cold / dark starts 
- Workshop functionality
- Improved multiplayer
- Instrument reading

A lot of our focus as we head into Early Access has been on the planes (we really want to set a benchmark for the kind of quality we would like to see in Flight Sim World). That said we've got some big changes to things outside the plane (that I'm not allowed to talk about just yet, sorry!) We'll share more about other changes planned for during Early Access as we dive further into it. 

• Upvote 2

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch