Sign in to follow this  
allergiecheck

Discussion: Homecockpit with 2D panel still useful?

Just wanted to start a new discussion for all the "light" cockpit builders who have some "decent" hardware like GoFlight modules, PFC consoles, radio stacks etc.
A couple of years ago, the simmers dream was a dedicated external 2D panel, ideally running on a separate machine (with AirManager, SimPlugins or similar software), some hardware staff like radios, and a panorama wide view with 3 HD screens.

With the availability of large 4K TV screens, this has changed somewhat: Now we can have almost 1:1 replicas of cockpits (in size and also readable) for less then 2000 USD, using a (curved) 65 or even 70 inch screen. Also die-hard cockpit builders started to recommend virtual 3D panel with big screens and no longer promote external 2D solutions. See https://youtu.be/ayl30ZvnS5Y?t=5m44s. He actually has a setup I use at the moment and I am quite happy with it, but when I watch Youtube videos - like the ones from OnTheGlideScope - I desire a more "cockpit-like" model with 3 screens and external panels. Just looked at Simsamurai`s Desktop version, which is quite decent:

29169509nf.jpg

However; I do see the disadvantages of an external panel:

• lack of immersion: no cockpit walls and shadows etc.
  • Hard to use with complex 3rd party planes like A2A
  • costs for the setup
  • framerate impact when using more than 1 external screen
  • missing prop view (however, depends on the view setting)

Looking forward to your opinions and comments!

Thomas

I had the same issues with a 65" 4K and a ton of goflight. I then went to VR and the 4K and goflight are gathering dust. With VR you can replace $5,000 to $10,000 worth of hardware with $500 hmd. 

18 minutes ago, Terrydew said:

With VR you can replace $5,000 to $10,000 worth of hardware with $500 hmd. 

Still not convinced of VR...I like some "real" knobs in the cockpit especially when flying online with PilotEdge on serious flight training. Maybe in 5 years Ill will switch when a better screen solution is availabe.

I have to chime in also on VR. I went the full scale route and was even going to do a C172 with Flight Illusion gauges, but since I got my Oculus Rift and experienced what it felt like when I was taking lessons, 2D panels just can't compare to the sensation. VR Gen 1 is hit or miss for most, You have to really be able to increase the SS to 1.5 or greater and tweak it out readability and smoothness. FlyInside have really provided some great tools for manipulating controls/ also some good voice control evens it out. 

VR Space sims are killer though.