Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Jordan King: First impressions

2 hours ago, fta2017 said:

Made specifically for entertainment perhaps?

That not a value add to me.

It's a decent video, I wish he showcased a little bit more sound and ATC, 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hello all,

Just a heads up and probably off topic.

I have just read an article (please do not ask for a link but I came across it whilst looking at this FSWvideo on Airdailyx.

FSUIPC is UNLIKELY to go 64bit and is definitely unavailable for FSW apparently.  In that same article I noticed that P3Dv4 is/will be 32bit repeat 32bit and this may have something to do with FSUIPC. At this time, I would regard all as unsubstantiated but I mention because FSUIPC may well be a deal breaker for quite a few simmers. So those of you who are looking for a PMDG experience on FSW may well be left on a limb.

Please exercise caution in making a decision for this sim and I stress that this is not a bash of anyone, anything or any platform. Please just be a little cautious and do some research.  For me, I am going to adopt a "wait and see" outlook for FSW, but it does show some promise.

Thanks and regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

15 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Thanks and regards to all

Sorry Tony. My typo as i'm known to do. It was meant to read x64. Its been corrected. 

I just fired up default FSX and looked at it compared to this. We have come a long way. God bless the 64 bit revolution. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

So there are weather themes, but no real world weather?

There was a question about real world weather in the twitch stream, and they seemed to sidestep the question and not answer it. Hopefully they are partnering with third parties to add this, or at least supporting external weather engines. I saw no sign of built-in real weather in any of the video.

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

Hmm... looks interesting - but on the same matter it's "old wine in new bottles" in my opinion..

Was really hoping to see some imrovements in the terrain and autogen depiction engine. Also an overhaul of the lighting engine would have been nice! Dynamic lighing with actual light sources, instead of the ESP way (which is something like baked/simulated night/darkness). In my opinion, it shouldn't be necessary to make night textures. It should be apparent when there's no light source. Would also 'solve' that the night in FSX/P3D isn't pitch black... The lighting in FSX/P3D is just ridiculus IMO. Especially obvious, after I've tried X-Plane 11...

I'll probably buy FSW to see what's the fuss' about ... but I'm not overly impressed (yet). 

I know, I'm dreaming, and it's still 'early-access' or beta/alpha (or whatever they call it?) but ... To be honest, I think I'll hold for Prepar3D v4 and see what they have to offer, before switching from X-Plane... (heard a little bird singing about an light-engine overhaul in P3D v4?) :smile:

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Expecting a new sim based on FSX to have a brand new terrain system is wishful thinking. FSX renders terrain based on textures mapped to a landclass lookup table with vector data laid over the top. That is a fundamental design of the engine (as it was for MS Flight and is for P3D). If you want a completely new terrain system DTG would have been better off licensiing Unigine or even Aerofly as base engines and building their own terrain tech on top of them.

It rather amuses me that seasoned simmers here read "built on FSX technology" and "using FTX Global" but expect DTG to wave a magic wand and deliver a brand new terrain system.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, angeli662 said:

In their defense, they are devs and not in the PR or marketing depto. :laugh:

Cryss is PR only, Steve did a lot of marketing before, too, they both should know how to catch simmers.

Probably the format was not their idea, maybe Aimee or someone even higher ranked invented it. Reminds me of people asking hard facts about MS Flight! and being replied "Realize you dream to fly!"  

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I laughed out loud when Jordan said 'what a next gen flightsim looks like and performs like in 2017 and beyond'. This is still old stuff with a few enhancements. You'd almost think the main selling point of this sim is... raindrops...! :biggrin: I have never seen so much rain in a flightsim video. I have to add those raindrops look good. :happy: 

I also liked the look of some of the cockpits and the smooth shadows in them. Those are nice default planes but for instance Aerofly has extremely nice cockpits too so nothing 'new' here. This was the least you would expect in a 'next gen' sim. 

What I did not like are the landclass groundtextures: certainly not next gen imho and I specially disliked the amount of trees: the 'forests' look terribly empty with just a few trees here and there. I also can't say I liked the 'embedded shadows' on each and every tree: this may be nice for some screenshots but it looks odd. Obviously I seriously missed shadows on the scenery! Certainly not next gen. Default weather looked nice but well, they are themes so nothing really new. But that scenery... those roads and rivers running right through houses and fields... I just can't imagine anyone still liking that but well, apparently a lot of people don't mind. :huh:

All in all for now this is exactly what I expected: it is a next version of FSX. Or FSX SE. Old stuff with a few enhancements. That's it. Nothing really new and nothing next gen. A real next gen would have a real new engine behind it, not tech from 2006. I will definitely pass. It's good to have options though: this new sim is good for the flightsim market and I am sure a lot of people will like it despite all its drawbacks.

PS O, btw, next gen and no VR support out of the box? Yeah, right. That alone is reason enough for me to not consider FSW.

I just don't get it.  FSX with ORBx FTX Global, slightly updated navdata, closed Wx system, and 15+ year old ATC = FSW?   Oh wait, there's a new GUI!  I hate to be rude, but this is kinda ridiculous.  MSFS was held up by freeware developers for years, then payware closed the gap for high-end plug-ins.  MS Flight died because there isn't a market for closed system flight simulators.  Unless you want to include add-ons that compare to Majestic, PMDG, HiFi, A2A, and may others.  Not to mention all the free liveries and AFCADs, as well as freeware plug-ins we use still today.  I hope some day DTG wise up and allow other developers to add to FSW as we have since MSFS hit the scene.  Until then..... anim_lol.gif

• Upvote 3

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

10 hours ago, J van E said:

PS O, btw, next gen and no VR support out of the box? Yeah, right. That alone is reason enough for me to not consider FSW.

Have to agree with what you're saying here. Old wine in new bottles. Crossing my fingers for Prepar3D v4 now... at least, they've mentioned something about overhauling the lighting engine. 

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471